FREEZE IV

crazygeo

Freeze from Vapor trails...Anyone else like this song.

This is part IV of the "Fear Trilogy" (making it no longer a trilogy) which is also made up of the songs "The Enemy Within" (Part I from Grace Under Pressure), "The Weapon" (Part II from Signals), and "Witch Hunt" (Part III from Moving Pictures).

The "Fear Series" is a set of four songs by the band Rush. The series consists of Part I: "The Enemy Within" (from 1984's Grace Under Pressure), Part II: "The Weapon" (from 1982's Signals), Part III: "Witch Hunt" (from 1981's Moving Pictures), and Part IV: "Freeze" (from 2002's Vapor Trails). Parts I, II, and III were released in reverse order, while Part IV was released just over eighteen years after Part I. The songs do not follow a set storyline. Instead, they deal with topics relating to the emotion of "fear".

It's a fun song for what it is. Some nice heavy riffs for sure.

However IMO...it doesn't hold a candle to the any of the original three parts of the 'Fear Triology'. Not even close.

Also, even though I feel that the poor noisy mastering of VT affects the whole album a whole bunch, Freeze in particular really suffers from that extra "noise" IMO.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Aug 10 2010, 12:52 PM)

However IMO...it doesn't hold a candle to the any of the original three parts of the 'Fear Triology'. Not even close.

goodpost.gif Agreed.

QUOTE (crazygeo @ Aug 10 2010, 03:45 PM)
The "Fear Series" is a set of four songs by the band Rush. The series consists of Part I: "The Enemy Within" (from 1984's Grace Under Pressure), Part II: "The Weapon" (from 1982's Signals), Part III: "Witch Hunt" (from 1981's Moving Pictures), and Part IV: "Freeze" (from 2002's Vapor Trails). Parts I, II, and III were released in reverse order, while Part IV was released just over eighteen years after Part I. The songs do not follow a set storyline. Instead, they deal with topics relating to the emotion of "fear".

Thank you, Wikipedia.

And nice credit given, btw. tongue.gif

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Aug 10 2010, 09:28 PM)
A terrible song, imo. A complete mishmash of random noises, no rhythm or melody to it, no rhythm. Just a mess of a song.

yes.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Aug 10 2010, 02:52 PM)

Also, even though I feel that the poor noisy mastering of VT affects the whole album a whole bunch, Freeze in particular really suffers from that extra "noise" IMO.

Totally agree with everything you said.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Aug 10 2010, 01:52 PM)

Couldn't disagree more... you'll call me crazy probably, but I'm of the opinion that Witch Hunt is boring. There's just nothing about it that really excites me or even interests me. Freeze blows it out of the water, I think.

I tie it with The Weapon for second place behind The Enemy Within.

I like Freeze. Took time for it grow on me, though. It was easily in my bottom 5 of all Rush tunes for a while. It's just way too different from the other 3 Fear songs, though. Why did they bother adding a 4th part to a perfectly fine trilogy? Especially considering the three songs have significant synth usage while Freeze has NONE. confused13.gif

As I was recently mentioning in one of the other VT threads, I absolutely love Freeze. My favorite from an album that's full of great songs.

QUOTE (KillerInstinct @ Aug 10 2010, 03:56 PM)
It's got a feel, mood, texture like no other Rush song. It's really quite special in its own way.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Aug 10 2010, 06:17 PM)
Couldn't disagree more... you'll call me crazy probably, but I'm of the opinion that Witch Hunt is boring. There's just nothing about it that really excites me or even interests me. Freeze blows it out of the water, I think.

yes.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Aug 10 2010, 04:28 PM)
A terrible song, imo. A complete mishmash of random noises, no rhythm or melody to it, no rhythm. Just a mess of a song.

no.gif fing.gif

Freeze is excellent, definitely one of my top favorites off VT, & one of my favorites from them period.

It has this menacing, dark vibe to it that I find very appealing.

However I would still rate it as my least favorite of the Fear trilogy.

I love Freeze. It's one of the highlights of Vapor Trails, in an album beset with plenty of forgettable stuff IMO.

As an aside, I find it amusing some of you commenting on how you find Freeze to be so different musically. I guess the fact that it was written 18 years after the previous installment of the Fear series has nothing at all to do with it. laugh.gif

I've mentioned this before in another posting on TRF, but I love this song because of the (IMO) clear TOOL influence. Listen to the back half of "Rosetta Stoned" on 10,000 Days and you can hear that same syncopated riffing. The boys take it up a notch by weaving it throughout the verses and chorases but it's the ending that always makes me smile. FREEZE rawks!

Archived