Losing It

Peart 2112

Yeah it's a great tune. Deffinatly one of their most overlooked songs. I always thought it would be a cool idea if live they did an acoustic version of this after Neil's solo live.

Also, I absolutely love these lyrics:

"Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies

But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be

Sadder still to watch it die than never to have known it

For you the blind who once could see

The bell tolls for thee"

Some of Neil's finest lyrics right there and Geddy sings them perfectly with the right emotion.

For this song specifically...how could NP have been voted the worst lyricist?

As normal, the voters were stuck in time and only considered Cygnus-X1 as their criteria.

Losing it was one of those gems I found after overplaying the "hits".

After finding it, I found other gems on other albums.

These may be their underated songs, but pure RUSH to me.

Osage

QUOTE (Peart 2112 @ Aug 10 2010, 11:12 AM)
This song is amazing but it never really gets that much recognition.

On the contrary, it's had at least 2 threads that I can think of devoted to it in the last few months.

"Chemistry" is a better track but doesn't even get the love that "Losing It" does. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 10 2010, 11:32 AM)

On the contrary, it's had at least 2 threads that I can think of devoted to it in the last few months.

"Chemistry" is a better track but doesn't even get the love that "Losing It" does. laugh.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 10 2010, 12:32 PM)

yes.gif

Perm. Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals (Losing it) are still three of my favorite albums of all time in a row of three...

Only a handful of bands I can say that about, who are my favorites of all time

Rush really went through a period where there music was very emotional. It started with Losing It, and moved through GUP, POW, and HYF. I love that string of albums

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Aug 10 2010, 08:58 PM)
Meh, it's ok. The weakest on Signals, that's for sure.

goodpost.gif for a change wink.gif .... ohmy.gif bolt.gif

Losing it a pretty good song, just too depressing. Same reason I don't like faithless (except faithless has a really lame chorus on top of it all)

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Aug 10 2010, 11:02 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Aug 10 2010, 08:58 PM)
Meh, it's ok. The weakest on Signals, that's for sure.

goodpost.gif for a change wink.gif .... ohmy.gif bolt.gif

Losing it a pretty good song, just to depressing. Same reason I don't like faithless (except faithless has a really lame chorus on top of it all)

Thanks! Figured I'd play devil's advocate...as always. It's really not that good of a song to be honest.

When noodling on piano or thick sawtooth patches, coming to Losing It is always a great experience. It's one of the few 5/8 songs that are smooth and emotional, and the bonus is the very different chord progressions.

Lyrically, it hits good when you're in the right mood. Blah if you're in a hard rock or industrial mood, super sad when you're in a nostalgic or pensive mood.

Less cheesy than Chemistry, more soulful than Red Barchetta, more personal and transcendent than most any other Rush song (a few exceptions being Open Secrets, Time Stand Still, Marathon, Mission, Cold Fire, Resist).

Archived