Seattle show...good/bad/ugly

My Seattle experience from two days ago was the best and worst of both worlds. (Sorry for the long post, and my rants)...

The good: I thought the boys played their asses off and I would definitely agree with other posters here that they were very playful. That was cool to see! The crowd was awesome, probably the biggest RUSH gathering at this venue ever. The grass section looked full and during rain that place aint the funnest place to be. The set list was pretty good imo. Some of the songs I really wanted to hear (Marathon, Wrkg Them Angels, Camera Eye, Witch Hunt) were spine tingling. Sure there were a couple of songs in the first set I would replace but as others have stated, the 2nd set was simply awesome! The sound, light show/graphics totally spectacular! I've been a fan from day one and seen the guys several times. I'm just happy they are still jamming together and they always play Seattle smile.gif

The bad: First, we tried to tailgate only to be told "you can't put your tent there, and you certainly cannot bbq anywhere on the premises!" I'm like, "WTF, it's raining out dude!" So I did what any hardcore RUSH fan would do. Cranked up my RUSH tunes very loudly, and waited for the ahole to leave and started up the BBQ! It worked great! http://www.therushforum.com/html/emoticons/trink39.gif

The ugly: We were sitting in 208, row 2, seats 1&2. So I was on the aisle, standing up from the get-go bobbing my head, singing to myself, playin base, air drumming, the whole bit. After the second song, the guy behind me says, "my sons can't see!" I said I'm sorry but I paid good money for my seats and I'm gonna stand up and sing/cheer as I please. Keep in mind this dad had sons 4 & 6 sit'g with him, pretty young and they probably could care less about the show. A couple songs later same thing, and this time he was dropping F-bombs at me right in front of his boys. At this point the gloves were off and I let him know exactly what I thought of his so called parenting skills & I didn't give a flip what he thought & that he could go sit somewhere else. Seconds later two more guys behind the dad also get into it with me and I'm yelling at now 3 or 4 guys all saying they can't see! By this point I'm sooo F'g po'd that I'm ready for a fight of any magnitude. Long story short, I just ignored them, I stood up when I wanted and sat down when I wanted to. Who the F brings kids 4 & 6 to a rock concert THEN has the audacity to tell me to sit down!?!? And the most pathetic thing about these aholes? I'd say probably 80% of the entire crowd was standing for most of or all of the concert! Anyway, the deuchebags behind me kinda ruined a couple songs for me but i still enjoyed my night! RUSH is my all time fav band and there was NO way I was gonna let anyone ruin my enjoyment!

The really ugly: After the show my buddy and I went down to the stage to look for guitar pics. While he was scouting the floor, I started talking to one of the roadies. I said (sincerely) "nice job, you guys are unsung hero's." I also asked this gentlemen (probably about 45'ish) how you get a job like yours. He said "win a bet..." I laughed and once again said thanks for doing a good job. I had just started to walk away when a young roadie punk (who had heard my convo with the other guy) turns around, gives me a dirty look, then back kicks a water bottle right at me spraying water in my face. Truly, it was like the back kick of the century, direct hit! I said WTF was that for? And he said get the F outta here. Wow, I lit into him and my buddy had to hold me back from climbing up on the stage. This punk was probably late 20's and again, I wasn't talking to him, wasn't being disrespectful at all. Maybe there is this unwritten rule about not talking to roadies, but c'mon dude, grow the hell up... After all that excitement we thought it best to go back to the car and chill out while traffic died down. I'm not an antagonistic person and I wasn't shit-faced drunk. But it seems like everyone was out to get me that night... http://www.therushforum.com/html/emoticons/confused13.gif

Still love my: 2.gif

I stood up the whole time as well, but being only 5'3" and about 130 lbs, I don't get many complaints about not being able to see around me. cool.gif

Yeah, there were some real douchebags there that night, but there were also a lot of cool people who wanted nothing more then to have the time of their lives while watching the greatest band on the planet! 1022.gif I took my 10 year old son to the SLC show, and that was his 3rd Rush concert (took him to both legs of the S&A tour). I would never tell someone in front of us to sit down so my son could see. Hell, he stands on his chair the whole time and sees just fine. He had a great time the other night. Truly awesome to share a Rush concert with my Lil' Lerxst! biggrin.gif

Seems like no matter what even I go to...NO MATTER WHAT...there is some drama either in front, side, or back of me. 99% of the time it is a drunk a-hole. I often wonder WHY these individuals even come to (concerts, sporting events, etc) they AREN'T there for the actual event, rather just a place to drink and show their a$$. Which brings me to one of my OG pet peeves. Tailgaiting morons that take up several even up to 20 spaces with their RV. I am all for having a good time at whatever event I am at, but some of these people are just there to take up space in the parking lot. One year at a Supercross, This guy takes up about 9 parking spots wiht his RV, then proceeds to rope off an area of about 20 spaces total, unloads a couch from the RV, Houseplants, a huge BBQ, a tv, a laptop, tosses a couple frisbees on the ground along wiht a football, unloads a mini dirtbike for all of his buds to drink/ride, run into cars that are parked nearby, urinate on cars nearby, deficate between 2 cars right by out car.....this was only close to where we parked. After seeking out another spot, we came across dozens of other tools doing the same thing. I'm all for people having fun, but too many times it spills into majorly inconveniencing others.

SO, WHY on earth would you pitch A tent in a parking lot for a show you are going to see within the next couple of hours?? And BBQ? I just don't get it. wtf.gif

Also, I am a 'security' hater as these people are more ego maniacs than anything, so why temp it by going in the opposite direction as the exits?They LIVE to have guys like you try and challange them. Their job is to make sure people are heading for the exits.....thats pretty much it! So when they see someone swimming up the wrong way, they see it as their chance to exert some power, and some of these guys enjoy thumping some punkass kid who tries to be cute cool.gif

BTW, glad the boys played well for you. At least you have that.....

QUOTE (Hatchet_Ax_Saw @ Aug 9 2010, 02:34 PM)
we tried to tailgate only to be told "you can't put your tent there, and you certainly cannot bbq anywhere on the premises!" I'm like, "WTF, it's raining out dude!" So I did what any hardcore RUSH fan would do. Cranked up my RUSH tunes very loudly, and waited for the ahole to leave and started up the BBQ!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Aug 9 2010, 06:34 PM)
QUOTE (yyz98 @ Aug 9 2010, 02:59 PM)
SO, WHY on earth would you pitch A tent in a parking lot for a show you are going to see within the next couple of hours?? And BBQ? I just don't get it. wtf.gif

I agree confused13.gif

I would not pitch a tent. But I'll have the umbrellas up. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

But if you have never had a tailgate party and a BBQ in the parking lot at a concert you just must some time.

I like to pull in say 3 hrs before the show and chill.. trink39.gif 653.gif cool10.gif 2.gif common001.gif 1287.gif cheer.gif icon_alienjig.gif

I don't understand why the dad didn't let his kids stand in their seats? Even if the OP sat, he'd probably still block their view, assuming they were sitting as well. At ages 4 & 6, they probably were not tall enough that standing in their seats would have bothered anyone behind them.

I would get upset if some douche in front of me would not sit down when I paid 150 dollars to have a seat. If you want to stand go back to the grass. I have a bad knee and it is physically impossible for me to stand for 3 hours.

I saw two guys get into a fight at S & A tour in Dallas because some guys would not sit down and his wife couldn't see the show.

I love RUSH and I can enjoy them in my seat.

Just my two bits.

2.gif 1022.gif

I would get upset if some douche in front of me would not sit down when I paid 150 dollars to have a seat. If you want to stand go back to the grass. I have a bad knee and it is physically impossible for me to stand for 3 hours.

I saw two guys get into a fight at S & A tour in Dallas because some guys would not sit down and his wife couldn't see the show.

I love RUSH and I can enjoy them in my seat.

Just my two bits.

2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Aug 9 2010, 07:34 PM)

I agree confused13.gif

OK, maybe no tent, but why not set up a BBQ? I love to have some good food that I cook anytime I can before concerts or sporting events. I really don't see what the problem would be with a grill , hours before the show. Especially when it's raining. It's not like the place is going to get torched.

QUOTE (TullSkull @ Aug 9 2010, 07:45 PM)
QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Aug 9 2010, 06:34 PM)

I agree confused13.gif

I would not pitch a tent. But I'll have the umbrellas up. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

But if you have never had a tailgate party and a BBQ in the parking lot at a concert you just must some time.

I like to pull in say 3 hrs before the show and chill.. trink39.gif 653.gif cool10.gif 2.gif common001.gif 1287.gif cheer.gif icon_alienjig.gif

You got that right. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Aug 9 2010, 11:35 PM)
QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Aug 9 2010, 07:34 PM)

I agree confused13.gif

OK, maybe no tent, but why not set up a BBQ? I love to have some good food that I cook anytime I can before concerts or sporting events. I really don't see what the problem would be with a grill , hours before the show. Especially when it's raining. It's not like the place is going to get torched.

Exactly - what's the big deal, as long as you're not obstructing traffic or parking spaces? Or flinging hot embers at passing cars? confused13.gif

Of course, the venue probably looks at it in these terms: every hot dog or beverage that you bring and consume beforehand is $45 out of their concession stand profit.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 9 2010, 10:40 PM)
Of course, the venue probably looks at it in these terms: every hot dog or beverage that you bring and consume beforehand is $45 out of their concession stand profit.

Yeah, you're right there. Those $11 beers and $8 hot dogs are so much better. They must be. They cost so much.

Where's the emoticon for getting a hot dog rammed in your bun? laugh.gif

Hey, I said no peppers! That's hot! angry.gif

Come on guys... you really don't understand why the management doesn't want you barbequeing in the parking lot? In this litigious fking country? It's simple - some drunk asshat kicks over a burning grill, it falls into the car with the open windows that was parked three feet away, the car catches fire, people freak out, there's a panic, 3 kids get trampled, 12 people are hospitalized, 8 more sustain minor injuries - and the fire spreads to other vehicles, eventually totaling five cars, two pickup trucks and the RV that belonged to the drunk asshat.

Then everyone sues the venue.

And in this country? The venue would lose.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Aug 9 2010, 11:04 PM)
Come on guys... you really don't understand why the management doesn't want you barbequeing in the parking lot? In this litigious fking country? It's simple - some drunk asshat kicks over a burning grill, it falls into the car with the open windows that was parked three feet away, the car catches fire, people freak out, there's a panic, 3 kids get trampled, 12 people are hospitalized, 8 more sustain minor injuries - and the fire spreads to other vehicles, eventually totaling five cars, two pickup trucks and the RV that belonged to the drunk asshat.

yeah, but before all that happens the words "hey bubba, watch this" will be said by somebody

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Aug 9 2010, 10:04 PM)

Some venues allow you to tailgate and others do not. Red Rocks you can party in the parking lot, Irvine NO WAY!!! Even the Greek in LA lets you tailgate.

P.S. and at Red Rocks you can take in a small cooler with drinks and food of your own.. 653.gif

Edited by TullSkull

QUOTE (tkdryan @ Aug 10 2010, 01:37 AM)
Um, do people sit in a Rush concert? wacko.gif This will be my first but I know I plan to stand

Speaking from the Atlanta experience, there are a few songs (slower ones) that get butts in seats. Usually it's only for the first few bars, oddly enough. Pretty much everyone sat all the way through "Hope" in '07/08. But it's short, and definitely a mellower piece.

QUOTE (tkdryan @ Aug 10 2010, 12:37 AM)
Um,  do people sit in a Rush concert? wacko.gif  This will be my first but I know I plan to stand

Please do.

Disgusting that someone with his little ones asked the guy in front of him to sit down so his kids could see. wtf.gif Is this Toy Story 3? The ticket price is for a spot in the venue. Physically using the chair or not is your choice.