Embarassed by Seattle Crowd *SPOILERS*

Nate1647

Me and my buddy had seats pretty far back in the 200's last night (fine by us, best sound is right there), and we were SHOCKED at how dead the crowd was. about 5 whole rows in front of us left/sat down for TSS through Marathon. thats the whole damn set pretty much. I guess thats cool for us as we were able to see everything perfectly, but it was pissing me off. everyone in rush shirts claiming to be the bands biggest fan? yea right. someone needs to make a shirt thats proclaims "I am a huge rush fan! But only pre GUP." Thats what it felt like last night. Of course everyone loved MP, but when caravan started up people went quiet. Back for CTTH and 2112, quiet and unanimated during Far Cry. Is it so hard to understand that you're seeing 3 of the best musicians in the world, they are at the TOP of their game (and its true, all three of them put on one HELL of a show last night, best i've ever seen them), and they won't be doing this forever! Thats my little rant haha

We're outnumbered, that's all. What I don't understand is them leaving though - my favorite period is the 80's to present, but I'm not ditching out when something pre-Signals gets played.

These are the kind of people that LOVE their town's football team, but only when they're winning. Fair-weather fans piss me off.

Sorry to chime in on your downer but why would people bother to spend over 100 bucks a ticket to NOT enjoy the show. Mabey some of them just love to watch and listen and soak up the goods! It's all good man smile.gif

This is not a Seattle specific situation. Even the boys home town gig at the Molson Ampitheatre had its fair share of people more interested in the (horrifyingly expensive) beer and just wandering around rather than paying attention to what was happening on stage.

Does not just happen with RUSH either. We had Johnny Lang headlining the local Bluesfest last night. VIP area and most of the licensed area was full of groups of people more interested in getting faced and being obnoxious than checking out a remarkable musician. (BTW.... anyone get a chance to see Mr Lang perform, take it. That kid can PLAY! )

For some it is more important to say "I was there" than it is to immerse yourself in the energy and artistry of the performers. Sad but true.

I totally hear you and understand what you're saying. But let's face it, without the fair weathered fans buying tickets, Rush would only be playing to a few thousand people a night, and probably wouldn't be able to afford such an elaborate tour playing for 3 hours a night without an opening act. The fair weathered fan is the majority. Us die hards are in the minority, and we owe some thanks to the causal rock fan who continues to buy tickets to these shows and allows the boys to keep touring.

But it is a mystery how folks can spend $100+ for a ticket and spend half the evening in the beer garden. You could just stay home and do that a lot cheaper. cool.gif

QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Aug 8 2010, 03:26 PM)
Me and my buddy had seats pretty far back in the 200's last night (fine by us, best sound is right there), and we were SHOCKED at how dead the crowd was. about 5 whole rows in front of us left/sat down for TSS through Marathon. thats the whole damn set pretty much. I guess thats cool for us as we were able to see everything perfectly, but it was pissing me off. everyone in rush shirts claiming to be the bands biggest fan? yea right. someone needs to make a shirt thats proclaims "I am a huge rush fan! But only pre GUP." Thats what it felt like last night. Of course everyone loved MP, but when caravan started up people went quiet. Back for CTTH and 2112, quiet and unanimated during Far Cry. Is it so hard to understand that you're seeing 3 of the best musicians in the world, they are at the TOP of their game (and its true, all three of them put on one HELL of a show last night, best i've ever seen them), and they won't be doing this forever! Thats my little rant haha

You need to keep in mind that as great as they are not everyone is into everything they've done. Also where is your evidence that everyone who was wearing a Rush shirt and sitting down were claiming to be their biggest fans?

Of course when Caravan started everyone went silent. Nobody knows what the song is. It's not like the radio has played it at all or everyone is on the internet or itunes looking to download it. That isn't something everyone does. Why are you expecting people to be excited for a song that's very much still unknown?

I love just about everything they've done but just because I do doesn't mean everyone else at a show must as well. If they only know the 'best of' stuff and still wanna spend $100 on a ticket let them. If people are going just to say that "they were there" then that's their problem and not something any of us fans who are there to enjoy the show need to worry about.

I've been going to concerts since 1992 and this problem isn't just with Rush. It's with almost every show i've ever seen. It's an unavoidable thing at a big concert and I learned a long time ago to just accept it and move on.

QUOTE (Midway Hawker @ Aug 8 2010, 04:57 PM)
I totally hear you and understand what you're saying. But let's face it, without the fair weathered fans buying tickets, Rush would only be playing to a few thousand people a night, and probably wouldn't be able to afford such an elaborate tour playing for 3 hours a night without an opening act. The fair weathered fan is the majority. Us die hards are in the minority, and we owe some thanks to the causal rock fan who continues to buy tickets to these shows and allows the boys to keep touring.

But it is a mystery how folks can spend $100+ for a ticket and spend half the evening in the beer garden. You could just stay home and do that a lot cheaper. cool.gif

the majority of those around me wern't fairweather fans. a visual scan of the crowd showed we were all singing word for word where I sat.

Jesus this makes the Mohegan show seem like the Beatles at Shea Stadium in '64

There are a lot of people that go to Rush shows that arent huge fans like you or I. They might just be casual fans, or not even fans at all, just going for something to do.

When I was at the S&A PNC show I was talking to a group of guys that were not rush fans and only knew the names of a few songs. It was just something for them to do, drink and listen to music.

When the show was going on, there were a bunch of people around me that either werent into it, and some that I could tell did not know the songs at all. Its like that at every concert for every band.

i would much rather sit in a quiet section than having people singing all around me omg. but i hear you: when rush start really kicking ass i like to be a part of a section that knows it and shows it by cheering the boys on but not by singing all the lyrics real loud. that's annoying. sorry! Edited by daveyt

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Aug 8 2010, 05:11 PM)
QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Aug 8 2010, 03:26 PM)

You need to keep in mind that as great as they are not everyone is into everything they've done. Also where is your evidence that everyone who was wearing a Rush shirt and sitting down were claiming to be their biggest fans?

Of course when Caravan started everyone went silent. Nobody knows what the song is. It's not like the radio has played it at all or everyone is on the internet or itunes looking to download it. That isn't something everyone does. Why are you expecting people to be excited for a song that's very much still unknown?

I love just about everything they've done but just because I do doesn't mean everyone else at a show must as well. If they only know the 'best of' stuff and still wanna spend $100 on a ticket let them. If people are going just to say that "they were there" then that's their problem and not something any of us fans who are there to enjoy the show need to worry about.

I've been going to concerts since 1992 and this problem isn't just with Rush. It's with almost every show i've ever seen. It's an unavoidable thing at a big concert and I learned a long time ago to just accept it and move on.

goodpost.gif

This explains it all, word-for-word, picture perfect. It's a good thing I read all the posts, cuz if I didn't, I would have posted an exact replica laugh.gif

I would just like to add something, directed at the OP. I think I can see what you are trying to say with regards to "fans should be standing up and screaming for their favourite band at concerts". At some shows, depending on the band, it may seem that EVERYONE is on their feet with their hands in the air, screaming. This is because teh band in question has a large group of devoted fans; NOT necessarily the casual fan that would see them "just to see them".

Rush, on the other hand, is NOT one of those bands. They sell out consistently well from arena to arena because they have a group of:

1. Diehard fans

2. Casual fans,

3. ..and then the people that wouldn't mind seeing them.

(I know at least ONE person who fall into each of those three categories, and were at the show)

But what you have to understand with that logic is that Rush is a band with a musical emphasis. Virtually anybody in the world who plays an instrument may develop a fondness for a band like Rush. They are regarded as the musicians' musicians, if you will.

What I've noticed is that most people who sit quietly, are doing a lotmore than you give them credit for. These are the ones who actually analyze what the band members are doing and how they manipulate their instruments. I noticed, in my personal experience, that i would unknowingly settle down from an enthusiastic frenzy because I suddenly realized I was subconsciously watching Neil very attentively, because I am a drummer.

Don't assume that every concert is going to be crazy, in terms of audience members. People go for different reasons. Think of it thsi way: If teh didn't like the band, they wouldn't have coughed up the money for a ticket.

It's comparative to getting mad at the audience because they're wearinga Led Zeppelin shirt at a Rush show instead of a Rush shirt... see why it would be ridiculous to be angry with them?

Chill smile.gif

Being further back, I can see that happening.

I will say at Saratoga, I was 17 rows back and during the encore, saw people from rows in front of me, near the pit, leaving! I was shocked at that.

QUOTE (daveyt @ Aug 9 2010, 07:41 AM)
yeah that happened to me once and it was with part of my entourange and i literally had to leave the guy because he was just yelling the lyrics at the top of his lungs. i was like wtf.gif bye!

Why didn't you just ram a taco with extra hot sauce down his throat?! That would've shut his piehole! 1022.gif

I am not the super fan, am working on that..LOL But I do like the show the Boys do. Some people would just raher sit and enjoy the show... some cant sit still. Each his own. I cant see spending the $$ just to go to "have something to do" I have been burning through the Rush cds of late and have found a real love for what they do, wont be on my butt come 9/18!!.02 over. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Is there much difference between outdoor and indoor shows.

I have only been to the outdoor shows in recent years but the only show I will be at this tour is indoors at Columbus.

I hope it is better than what is being pointed out here.

QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Aug 8 2010, 01:26 PM)

Rush played an awesome show but I do have to admit that I thought the crowd was a bit dead too. We were in the second row in section 103 and had a view of everyone down in the pit area in front of the stage. I didn't see a lot of excitement until Alex or Geddy would interact with them.

I can't understand why people leave either but they probably can't understand why I want to stay for everything. I won't leave, not even for a bathroom break.

QUOTE (Midway Hawker @ Aug 8 2010, 02:57 PM)

The beer! Holy cow. Ten bucks for a regular plastic keg cup of beer.

At least we didn't have to pay for our food. He had VIP tix. Jesus. My tank was $40. Going broke at the Rush show. But worth it for three hours of my favorite band.

When a crowd is completely alive and excited, it also really helps the boys get excited and play better too. Im sorry to hear it was a bit dead in Seattle.

Ya just can't predict or control what a crowd does. Some people are really laid back in public; they only go crazy when they're with close friends. Just think of all the introverted people who go to concerts; they're not going to magically change into party animals....(it's best that they don't. They wouldn't be good at it....)

I remember going to the 30th Anniversary show in NYC and expecting the crowd to be like the Brazilians in Rush In Rio. Big mistake on my part! doh.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Aug 9 2010, 09:36 AM)
Ya just can't predict or control what a crowd does. Some people are really laid back in public; they only go crazy when they're with close friends. Just think of all the introverted people who go to concerts; they're not going to magically change into party animals....(it's best that they don't. They wouldn't be good at it....)

I remember going to the 30th Anniversary show in NYC and expecting the crowd to be like the Brazilians in Rush In Rio. Big mistake on my part! doh.gif

Bingo. You know, a majority of people don't like making asses of themselves by playing a ridiculously air drumming.

A couple thousand bad apples spoils the bunch right?

Damn I was mad when there were only TWO stiffs next to me at my show, I can't imagine 5 whole rows of them leaving for some of the best stuff. confused13.gif