Best drummer of the last 25 years

The K Man

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Travis Barker rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif More like most Overrated in the last 25 yrs

I think Neil's whole body of work is A LOT more diverse that Portnoy's, even though Portnoy would kick Neil's a$$ in a duet nowadays. But Neil was more groundbreaking and more influential over the past 25 years, so I voted for him.

And WTF, one of the comments ask "No Tommy Lee?"????????? Why Tommy Lee?

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Aug 4 2010, 09:37 AM)
And WTF, one of the comments ask "No Tommy Lee?"????????? Why Tommy Lee?

Why not ? If Travis the asshat is on it

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Aug 4 2010, 12:01 PM)
I voted for Neil though I can understand why Portnoy is in the lead. He's done some fantastic work with Dream Theater.

If i was a betting man[ i am not] I will say Portnoy will win this

Peart's definitely my favorite drummer and one could argue that he's the best ROCK drummer in the past 25 years. But I don't know if I'd say he's the best overall. I think there are many jazz drummers that are better than NP - Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, and Steve Gadd are all awesome. Portnoy is obviously very talented, but I still think Peart is a better rock drummer (musically).

I can't get the website to load. I keep getting "Bad Gateway" messages.

I also can't tell you who is the best drummer of the last 25 years. I can say who I don't think it is.

Portnoy or Peart.

Portnoy is a showman, nothing more. I don't feel there's any expression what-so-ever in his drumming. It's difficult to express something through a drumset, as the only real thing you can convey without deep thought is excitement and energy. I've never once felt that Portnoy was sad while he was playing a sad song. Or anything like that. Portnoy is all technique, and no expression. There's a Gavin Harrison quote I keep around for describing Portnoy, and things I like to tell other drummers, in regards to what I think a drummer should do, in general:

"It was never the fast and flashy things.When I see people playing fast and flashy all I'm aware of is that I'm witnessing a regurgitation of some incredible amount of practice. And I find it really boring. Cuz yeah, I can see you've practiced that to death, so what am I witnessing? I'm not witnessing any music here, not witnessing any expression. I'm witnessing you doing a circus act."

Peart, in the last 25 years, hasn't done too much. If we were talking "best drum solo-ist" then I'd be on board, as I don't really know of any better solos that are better due to construction, rather than spontaneity. 25 years ago starts with Power Windows and moves forward. I give a lot of credit for Neil trying to reinvent himself by studying jazz technique, but I don't think it has succeeded to the level where he's better at this jazz/rock fusion style than a lot of other drummers - and that's really the most impressive thing he's done in the last 25 years.

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Aug 4 2010, 12:38 PM)
Portnoy is a showman, nothing more.

You don't have to like his music, but that is just silly

I am as much of a Peart Fanboi as the next person, but I had to go with Gavin Harrison. Portnoy, while he has the chops, does nothing for me, nor does DT's music. Fast, technical, but no feel and since Mike writes and arranges a majority of their stuff...

Peart's move to serve the song, while admirable and tasteful, I feel has him not wanting to take a lot of chances. You listen to his interviews on how Nick had to push him to a new arrangement altogether for The Way the Wind Blows (I think), and then his fill that Nick had him do during the instrumental break in Caravan. He said in both places that it was something he would never have presumed to do on his own. What? You are Neil Freaking Peart for crying out loud!

Gavin Harrison is just doing everything that Neil should be in the context of each group's music.

Neil is still the man and I will always think of him as the standard...but this is just my honest opinion right now.

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 4 2010, 04:03 PM)
Looks like Joey Jordison the guy from slipknot is going to win. Hard to argue with that, that guys is nuts behind the kit.

Mostly youth voting in this poll then. Jordison is good, but there are others on that list that are better.

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 4 2010, 03:03 PM)
Looks like Joey Jordison the guy from slipknot is going to win. Hard to argue with that, that guys is nuts behind the kit.

Killer drummer even if you don't like the band

QUOTE (jtm9734 @ Aug 4 2010, 10:39 AM)
Vinnie Colaiuta

....who has 2% of the vote.

And who could play circles around virtually everyone on that list.

Clearly "name recognition" and "best" are different in most people's minds.

Oh well.

Archived