Hardest Rush to get into.

PeWaves1979

When Signals came out I hated it, it was so different. But I really like it now. T4E was tough for me as well, in fact I would say it is my least fave of all Rush releases.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (TullSkull @ Jul 30 2010, 05:43 AM)
A Farewell To Kings ohmy.gif
Hemispheres ohmy.gif
"2112" ohmy.gif
CoS ohmy.gif

I just have such a hard time with these. I try and try and just wacko.gif

Go ahead and slam me now.. comp26.gif cool10.gif

bolt.gif

I cant slam you because I'm speechless.

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jul 30 2010, 07:55 AM)

I also think AFtK is... pretty damn boring. After finally figuring out how to write a good epic song on 2112, they forgot how again for the next album. Hemispheres more than makes up for it though!

Xanadu??

QUOTE (TullSkull @ Jul 30 2010, 12:43 PM)
A Farewell To Kings  ohmy.gif
Hemispheres  ohmy.gif
"2112"  ohmy.gif
CoS  ohmy.gif

I just have such a hard time with these. I try and try and just  wacko.gif

Go ahead and slam me now.. comp26.gif  cool10.gif

bolt.gif

I'm not going to slam you...

but you did just list my favourite albums laugh.gif

VT is a big one...not because of the mixing or volume issues as such...mainly because of the guitar-solo-less-ness of it.

I guess he must have forgotten to record any.

Then again Hemispheres is ok for me. I guess not a totally fair answer.

LOL

I don't even own Fly by Night as nothing appealed to me . It is the young voice of Geddy that I can't do, like so many heavy metal band of the day.

So I'll trade Hemispheres for Fly by Night unsure.gif wacko.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 30 2010, 10:50 AM)
QUOTE (TullSkull @ Jul 30 2010, 05:43 AM)
A Farewell To Kings  ohmy.gif
Hemispheres  ohmy.gif
"2112"  ohmy.gif
CoS  ohmy.gif

I just have such a hard time with these. I try and try and just  wacko.gif

Go ahead and slam me now.. comp26.gif  cool10.gif

bolt.gif

I cant slam you because I'm speechless.

the 4 best albums!!! wtf.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 30 2010, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jul 30 2010, 07:55 AM)

I also think AFtK is... pretty damn boring.  After finally figuring out how to write a good epic song on 2112, they forgot how again for the next album.  Hemispheres more than makes up for it though!

Xanadu??

That's what I was thinking... unsure.gif

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Jul 30 2010, 07:38 AM)
To this day I still can't get into GUP.  I try every so often and I do love "Afterimage", but that's the only song I can listen to.  The rest of the album sounds so dated and sterile to me.

Afterimage is the one song on GUP I've never been able to like. Everything else (yep, even Red Lenses tongue.gif ) clicked pretty quick.

That's about as opposite as two opinions can get... the only song on the album you like is the only one i don't laugh.gif

But at least we both agree that VT rocks 1022.gif trink39.gif

Except for Bastille Day and TFOL I can't get into anything else on COS. S&A took me a month or so to get into,I just didn't like that there was too much softer guitar on a lot of the tunes at first. But I listened to the few tracks I liked at first like FC, A&S and TWTWB and then I slowly started listening to the rest and it worked for me and I ended up loving the album.

I'm not that into T4E at all. I liked it when it first came out but over the years I rarely listen to it in full and just put the random song on from it if the mood strikes me.

I'm not into the first album. Musically it's fine but one of the biggest reasons they're my favorite band is Neil's brilliant lyrics. The first album is missing that and to me they just weren't quite Rush yet because of that.

Caress of Steel took me years and years to get into to. I started listening to it in 1985. I first got into Rush in 1981 went back through 2112. But in 1985 I wanted more and bought Archives. The debut had rockers and caught me right away. Fly By Night also hit me in the face....but Caress of Steel was....wierd for me at the age of 15. I did not smoke any weed and barley drank in my teen years.

Then 1991 I started to expereiment with music and drugs (LSD, shrooms and lots and lots of pot) that is when the album clicked LMAO....The Necromancer was played non stop for about 6 months. But The Fountain of Lamneth to this day remains the most over hyped, over rated Rush song ever. It is got a few nice pieces nothing more and nothing less. AFTK fully realizes what they wanted to do but they were much better players, road battle scar tested etc. 2112 was much more straight forward than COS.

Presto - Coming off what I felt was the ultimate sonic departure for the band in P/G - HYF and a great run of a brand new direction for the band (loved the so called synth era) I had no expectations for Presto. It was an album I knew would bring a new direction but where I had no clue. To this day I still think it is for the most part a average album for Rush in their vast catalog. Some great tunes but some really big clunkers and we had not heard any of those IMO since AFTK with Madrigal and before that on COS. Some people would argue HYF and even Power Windows as stuff to hard to swallow but I venture to say that comes from fans who got into the band in the 70's. Most of us Gen X fans or the Moving Pictures generation stuck with this band and loved all the output between 78-87. Presto has songs that just are not good and it is really light. HYF may have been too glossy but it rocked and had intensity all over it in songs like Force 10, Open Secrets, Lock and Key, Mission and Turn the Page where Presto had Show Don't Tell. Everything else was Rush lite. I like the album but I was not estatic about it. I thought it was a very weak follow up to HYF. But it did produce the vastly overlooked (by the band) classic Available Light. What a brilliant, original song for Rush. Just amazing.

Vapor Trails - I only had confusion about the sonics (discussed ad nausem) I was having a hard time digesting the songs because I could not hear them clearly and there was zero seperation.

That's it those 3 were the ones that had some issues for me.

HYF

RTB

S&A

I have tried and tried. I just stopped trying

Vapor Trails and Hemispheres (partly) took some time for me. I really didn't like VT at first (save for OLV). In recent times I've taken a liking to more of the tracks (Nocturne, Freeze, and Earthshine are some my more favorites now). With Hemispheres, the title track and La Villa just didn't *tick* at all for a while. Especially the title track, and I really like 2112, too. I already liked The Trees a bit. I still don't like Circumstances that much. unsure.gif

I can't fully get into Presto, Caress of Steel, or Test for Echo. The majority of Presto is just 062802puke_prv.gif for me. The Pass, Chain Lightning, and Scars are my only real favorites anymore. I got sick of Show Don't Tell really fast. And Caress...I'll probably give it a full listen again sometime, but those two epics will be hard to listen to. Bastille Day is ok for me and so is Lakeside Park. I'm Think I'm Going Bald... fing.gif T4E shares the same issue as Presto for me. I do really like Driven and... eh.gif

When GUP came out, it did not sit well with me. After spending the summer of 1988 with it, it became one of my favorite albums. Still is in the top 5 or so.

VT was so good the first listen because it had been so long since I heard new Rush. Quickly, I forgot the songs and did not care for it. Some of the tunes (about half) are quite enjoyable now.

Roll the Bones really made me bored when it came out. Still can't listen to the second half of that disc. In fact, other than Bravado, I really still don't like that album. The only thing that I can say positively is that the setlist for that tour was wonderful-except for that xanadu-superconductor abomination of a segue.

Roll the Bones for me. I mean, a rap on the title track? With all due respect, the production's a bit thin too. But it's still worth an occasional spin.

First of all great thread. I'm sure it's been done before, but fun to read none the less.

Hands down TFE for me. I can't think of anything I like about it....except for the fact I was on 2nd row in Nashvegas for the tour.

I am amazed that some don't care for PW or Counterparts. Personally love those recordings. PW may even be my fav top to bottom. I understand that some of the newer material will never appeal to some, but I put in VT and S&A for a fresh listen the other day and was simply blown away by the quality of the music.

One of my favorite moments is when I put in a recording that I haven't listened to in a long long time and "re-discover" it. All the stars have to align....ie you have to have the time, be in the right mood, the volume has to be just right...but when it hits...it is soooo fun.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 30 2010, 11:45 AM)
Rush
Fly By Night
Caress of Steel
Most of 2112
Vapor Trails

I just can't get into any of those albums.

Yet you like RTB........................ confused13.gif

Archived