Counterparts and Alex Lifeson

LeaveMyThingAlone

I've made no secret on this forum of my manic love for the incredibly overlooked and underrated Counterparts, but as I was giving this album a listen for about the 100 gazzilionth time, it really hit me what an amazing perfromance Alex gives on this album.

He is often the overlooked member of the band, but I think Counterparts is Alex Lifeson's album all the way. His guitar work is incredible here. From playing melodically on Leave that thing Alone and Everyday Glory, to sick riffs on Stick it Out and Double Agent, a ridiculous solo on Cut to the Chase, and a beautiful acoustic job on Nobody's Hero. Many say Alex's strength is his ability to play lead and/or rhythm guitar depending on what the song calls for and this album shows that.

In my opinion, this album is Alex's best guitar work ever. Yes, even better than MP, PW and all those from the glory years. He just absolutely rocks it.

Agree? Disagree?

Disagree.

His very best work took place from Hemispheres - Moving Pictures.

Then his guitar playing went in a new direction which I loved with Signals - HYF. And then again presto and RTB had it's own unique sound.

Counterparts was his best straight forward thick and meaty work since Moving Pictures. That I can say. Some amazing stuff on Counterparts.

I happen to think Alien Shore, Animate, and Cold Fire are just amazing songs in every way for Alex. Everyday Glory, and Double Agent also really kill it. Cut to the Chase does have an amazing solo.

I agree it is one of his strongest guitar albums but not his very best.

That would be Permanent Waves.

There is no way I would say its his best work, but relative to the previous handful of albums, its a bit stronger at times.

I dont love many of the songs on that album, but at least I can hear him trying to step out more in those songs, which is a good thing for when that album came out, during the grunge period when it was all about guitars again.

I have always loved Counterparts, mainly because it was the album that really got me into Rush (I heard Nobody's Hero on the radio and I was hooked!). I find Alex's guitar work to be absolutely brilliant, no matter what album, but this is truly a gem. There are some incredible songs on this album...can't really think of a truly "weak" song on that album. Each song stands on it's own (yes, even Stick It Out!) as a great piece of work. Alex's guitar sound is ballsy, and really stands out in the mix! Geddy's bass work is incredible, and his tone is amazing. And Neil, well...he's just fantastic, as always.

But, I agree, Alex is usually overlooked in the band as a stellar musician. Yes, Geddy does most of the "composition," but Alex keeps it organic...his spontaneous nature really breathes life into the music and (in my opinion, even though Geddy is my favorite wub.gif ) keeps the music fresh, young, and ROCKIN'! 1022.gif

Alex is the star without a doubt on this album. As for it being his best work i'm not sure about that though I think Counterparts ranks up there among them. After he took a backseat to the keyboards in the 80s he had to have an album where he just went off and this was it. Of course the musical sound of the time changed to favor the guitar again so that helped him out a lot to. I think he's been the standout player in the band since the release of CP.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 28 2010, 06:19 PM)
I've made no secret on this forum of my manic love for the incredibly overlooked and underrated Counterparts...

Counterparts is an overlooked and under-rated album? An "incredibly" overlooked and under-rated album?? Who are you hanging out with??? The reviews for this album in the online Rush community are overwhelmingly positive, with nearly everyone calling it their best 90s album and a return to hard-rocking form following the 80s keyboard albums and then the no-balls Rupert Hine albums.

It doesn't get overlooked, doesn't get under-rated, and isn't lacking in love from the fans I've talked to.

Counterparts is easily Alex's best work since GUP. I really love this album, breath of fresh air for me, I really don't like the 4 albums that came before it. Stick it Out, Cold Fire, Between The Sun and Moon are some of my favorite tracks. Cold Fire has one of the best guitar intros he has ever done.

I've made no secret on this forum of my manic love for the incredibly overlooked and underrated Counterparts, but as I was giving this album a listen for about the 100 gazzilionth time, it really hit me what an amazing perfromance Alex gives on this album.

He is often the overlooked member of the band, but I think Counterparts is Alex Lifeson's album all the way. His guitar work is incredible here. From playing melodically on Leave that thing Alone and Everyday Glory, to sick riffs on Stick it Out and Double Agent, a ridiculous solo on Cut to the Chase, and a beautiful acoustic job on Nobody's Hero. Many say Alex's strength is his ability to play lead and/or rhythm guitar depending on what the song calls for and this album shows that.

In my opinion, this album is Alex's best guitar work ever. Yes, even better than MP, PW and all those from the glory years. He just absolutely rocks it.

Agree? Disagree?

I love Counterparts for guitar work. Whats your opinion of T4E, VT, and SA?

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Jul 28 2010, 11:14 PM)
I like the fact that Alex gave a thank you to guitarist Eric Johnson in the Counterparts liner notes.

I think I read that the 'Cut To The Chase' guitar solo was inspired by EJ.

Cut To The Chase is my favorite song on the album and that solo is killer. It really does sound inspired by Eric Johnson. Particularly the fast pentatonic runs. I remember reading in Guitar Player or something long ago that Al is a huge EJ fan and used to travel around to see his shows. Then of course EJ eventually toured with Rush on part of the RTB tour.

I love Counterparts. I love Al's guitar work on this album and I agree with the original post for the most part, but I can't put it right at the top. I just can't put it above PeW, Hemispheres, MP....It's up there, though; The album itself is definitely one of my top 10 Rush albums.

Sorry, gotta go with the 1978-82 era.

Not to disparage anything Alex has done since, since he's done some very good things.

But the Hemi-Waves-MP-Signals quartet of albums quite possibly represents the best guitar playing in the history of all mankind.

OK, maybe an exaggeration, but for me, Alex's technique, tone, sound, and feel are absolutely unparalleled on those records.

QUOTE (analog guy @ Jul 29 2010, 01:01 AM)
Sorry, gotta go with the 1978-82 era.

Not to disparage anything Alex has done since, since he's done some very good things.

But the Hemi-Waves-MP-Signals quartet of albums quite possibly represents the best guitar playing in the history of all mankind.

OK, maybe an exaggeration, but for me, Alex's technique, tone, sound, and feel are absolutely unparalleled on those records.

THIS....

however, I agree that Counterparts is great and Alex's playing is his best since this era.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 28 2010, 08:25 PM)
I've made no secret on this forum of my manic love for the incredibly overlooked and underrated Counterparts...

Counterparts is an overlooked and under-rated album? An "incredibly" overlooked and under-rated album?? Who are you hanging out with??? The reviews for this album in the online Rush community are overwhelmingly positive, with nearly everyone calling it their best 90s album and a return to hard-rocking form following the 80s keyboard albums and then the no-balls Rupert Hine albums.

It doesn't get overlooked, doesn't get under-rated, and isn't lacking in love from the fans I've talked to.

Well...I would've always thought this way as well, but over time here, I have noticed some 'hate' for this album as well, which really baffles me.

When you compare the 4 albums during that stretch (Presto, RTB, CP, and TFE), there is just no question whatsoever that CP is far and away the best and strongest effort of the bunch.

Also, to the OP...agreed. I absolutely LOVE Counterparts. Amazing album...and no weak tracks IMO. I don't know if it is Alex's best guitar work ever, but it sure as hell kicks ass. If he can bring that type of playing to Clockwork Angels, I am all for it.

The guitar that is 'in your face' and just plain hard rock. Awesome stuff. Animate, Cut To The Chase, and LTTA are amongst some of the best stuff they have ever done IMO. Oh, and yes...CTTC has a sick solo indeed, arguably a Top 5 Alex solo IMO. 1022.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jul 29 2010, 12:59 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 28 2010, 08:25 PM)

Well...I would've always thought this way as well, but over time here, I have noticed some 'hate' for this album as well, which really baffles me.

When you compare the 4 albums during that stretch (Presto, RTB, CP, and TFE), there is just no question whatsoever that CP is far and away the best and strongest effort of the bunch.

Also, to the OP...agreed. I absolutely LOVE Counterparts. Amazing album...and no weak tracks IMO. I don't know if it is Alex's best guitar work ever, but it sure as hell kicks ass. If he can bring that type of playing to Clockwork Angels, I am all for it.

The guitar that is 'in your face' and just plain hard rock. Awesome stuff. Animate, Cut To The Chase, and LTTA are amongst some of the best stuff they have ever done IMO. Oh, and yes...CTTC has a sick solo indeed, arguably a Top 5 Alex solo IMO. 1022.gif

I, too, have noticed that there is a lot of hate aimed towards CP - maybe not so much here but on other Rush forums that I've been on in the past. then again, I also noticed that the ones who seemed to be most down on CP were the ones who seem to be of the opinion that Rush have not really done anything decent since Signals and nothing brilliant since Hemispheres.

On a personal note, I'm a big fan of CP. although I thoroughly enjoyed the Signals/Presto era, I was very happy that, with RTB and CP, Al's guitar came back with a vengeance - both with his style and its prominence in the overall mix.

But, most of all, I think CP featuredd some of his most passionate guitar work - the opening riff to Cold Fire being a point in case

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jul 29 2010, 07:59 AM)

Absolutely! It's not even close!

1022.gif

I have always liked this album from day one. Al kicks ass on this

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 28 2010, 07:25 PM)

I agree that most fans on Rush forums and message boards give it props....I guess I feel it's overlooked in the mainstream. I happen to believe this album is every bit as good as those glory albums of the late 70's and early 80's, but is lumped into the "New Rush" category and just kind of forgotten about in their catalog.

And to call it the best album of the 90's, considering the competition, isn't that much of a revelation IMO

QUOTE (tkdryan @ Jul 28 2010, 11:17 PM)

He is often the overlooked member of the band, but I think Counterparts is Alex Lifeson's album all the way. His  guitar work is incredible here. From playing melodically on Leave that thing Alone and Everyday Glory, to sick riffs on Stick it Out and Double Agent, a ridiculous solo on Cut to the Chase, and a beautiful acoustic job on Nobody's Hero. Many say Alex's strength is his ability to play lead and/or rhythm guitar depending on what the song calls for and this album shows that.

Agree? Disagree?

I love Counterparts for guitar work. Whats your opinion of T4E, VT, and SA?

Good question:

T4E: Doesn't have the energy or heavyness as Counterparts, though Alex does shine on tunes like Driven, Time and Motion, and Test for Echo. Even songs like Virtuality, and Dog Years have some cool Alex moments that are bogged down by the lyrics. Also Rush's worst instrumental by a longshot.

Vapor Trails: I'd tell you how much I like his guitar work if I could make it out through the crackling and distortion tongue.gif

Snakes: Dont think writing everything acoustically seved Alex well, as his guitar work lacks cajones on this album. Nowhere near the heavyness of the previous 3

i think it's a solid effort musically, but there are some tunes on there that i've never taken to and also 1 or 2 that i liked when i first heard it but than didn't stand the test of time for me. stick it out is one of them. the lyrics are cool but the song just sounds like it's stuckin neutral for me. cold fire, cttc, alien shore all stand out for me. speed of love and everyday glory the lyrics are good but the music doesn't grab me at all and just sounds very blah for rush.

I agree - I hadn't listened to Counterparts nor T4E for years and when I dusted them off I was really surprised to hear great strong guitar work. For me, the guitar parts sound less-controlled, less processed than usual, more relaxed but in-your-face (like Cold Fire, Between Sun and Moon, Cut to the Chase). Alien Shore is amazing - great trade-off work between guitar and bass all throughout that tune! For songs like Speed of Love and Everyday Glory the guitar works saves what otherwise would have been weak songs.

IMO: If Alex doesn't get the recognition as his bandmates, I can only think maybe it's the lack of Steve Vai/EVH-type pyrotechnic soloing: less show, more serve-the-song.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 29 2010, 11:44 AM)
T4E: Doesn't have the energy or heavyness as Counterparts, though Alex does shine on tunes like Driven, Time and Motion, and Test for Echo. Even songs like Virtuality, and Dog Years have some cool Alex moments that are bogged down by the lyrics. Also Rush's worst instrumental by a longshot.

no.gif

I would take Limbo over Where's My Thing? anyday.

Archived