Eddy Trunk Giving it Up to Rush

tripdad

Was listening to Eddy Trunk show Monday night on Boneyard. He commented that the new Rush tunes are the best he has heard from the band in 30 years. I would have said the best from the band in the last year. Thirty seems to be a stretch, but at least he said it was good stuff. Then he played BU2B.

2.gif

QUOTE (tripdad @ Jul 29 2010, 12:36 AM)
Was listening to Eddy Trunk show Monday night on Boneyard. He commented that the new Rush tunes are the best he has heard from the band in 30 years. I would have said the best from the band in the last year. Thirty seems to be a stretch, but at least he said it was good stuff. Then he played BU2B.

2.gif

Has he heard more than BU2B and Caravan?

QUOTE (tripdad @ Jul 28 2010, 06:36 PM)

2.gif

I like Eddie and his show, but he is a known @ss kisser. The two new tunes are good, but certainly not as good as Eddie claims.

He's basically saying best stuff since Moving Pictures....which I can see an argument for. I would say a lot of the stuff off Counterparts is comparable, but I think it's a good call...these tunes are amazing. Don't see the need to bash the guy over giving his opinion. I think it's awesome he's giving BU2B some airplay.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 28 2010, 07:10 PM)
He's basically saying best stuff since Moving Pictures....which I can see an argument for. I would say a lot of the stuff off Counterparts is comparable, but I think it's a good call...these tunes are amazing. Don't see the need to bash the guy over giving his opinion. I think it's awesome he's giving BU2B some airplay.

I'm not "bashing" the guy by calling him an @ss kisser. That is just a general consensus among the fans I have been around and I happen to agree. No matter how shiite the material is, if Eddie thinks it'll get the band/person on his show he will shower them with praise.

Eddie needs to relax a little it seems. Best in 30 years? Really? The new tracks are only the best thing since Snakes & Arrows. Is he writing for Rolling Stone now with his "return to form" attitude that seems to be thrown around any artist who has been around for more than 20 years? It's great that he's giving some love to Rush in general and their new material, but at the same time he just crapped on 30 years worth of albums by saying they're all worse than 2 songs (and in my opinion, mediocre songs at that). Clearly he's a sucker for Rush at their most "rockin'" and "metal" like he is with every other band out there. You'd think he'd at least mention something Counterparts-Snakes & Arrows as point of reference, but for him to deny those and to praise the new material, seems like he was paid off to say that...

rantoff.gif

Saying they're the best Rush songs in thirty years doesn't mean he thinks everything in the past thirty years sucks. It just means these are better songs than the past thirty years' worth of songs, in his opinion. That's fine, despite the fact we disagree.

My only experiences with Eddie are through Rush - him having them on his show, or him doing a Rush special, or premiering new material. I got the sense he was a huge fan, the way he talks about them... but the posters in this thread are saying he "gives it up" like that for everyone!

Clearly he's a sucker for Rush at their most "rockin'" and "metal"

So am I! 1022.gif

Funny you should say this, because I distinctly remember Eddie giving early spins to some of the VT tracks, the first in the country to do so (so we then all had pre-release MP3's of the songs with Eddie's intros and outros!), and he enthused, "Rush are rockin' this time around!" smile.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 28 2010, 06:02 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jul 28 2010, 06:57 PM)
I like Eddie and his show, but he is a known @ss kisser.

yes.gif

That's the phrase I was grasping for. Trunk praises everybody.

everybody 'cept the RNR HOF!! beathorse.gif he really hates them.

I agree about him praising everybody. When someone likes EVERYTHING, it's really hard to tell just what they really like or if they are afraid to hate somehting or someone. Just once I'd like to hear him say that he hates this album or that band.

Eddie Trunk gives it up to anyone that gives him the time of day . If you give him an interview he will kiss your ass and say how great your album is, even if it sucks. He was a good d.j. back in the day. He is a media whore now . I see him at a lot of shows i go to and he just keeps walking around until someone goes up to him

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 29 2010, 10:08 AM)
QUOTE (yyz98 @ Jul 29 2010, 11:07 AM)
....aaaand another thread derailed.

No, not really.

EggZakkLee, it's not

I too agree that Trunk has gotten soft. The thing I really hate about him on the Metal Show is there is like 2 minutes of the guest and 25 of him doing his schtick... If I had RUSH on a show I hosted, you can bank on getting as much info and insite into the band as I can get in 30 minutes...not 20 minutes of me pussing out on getting a tattoo etc...

dazed025.gif

QUOTE (Scars @ Jul 28 2010, 05:04 PM)
Eddie needs to relax a little it seems. Best in 30 years? Really? The new tracks are only the best thing since Snakes & Arrows. Is he writing for Rolling Stone now with his "return to form" attitude that seems to be thrown around any artist who has been around for more than 20 years? It's great that he's giving some love to Rush in general and their new material, but at the same time he just crapped on 30 years worth of albums by saying they're all worse than 2 songs (and in my opinion, mediocre songs at that). Clearly he's a sucker for Rush at their most "rockin'" and "metal" like he is with every other band out there. You'd think he'd at least mention something Counterparts-Snakes & Arrows as point of reference, but for him to deny those and to praise the new material, seems like he was paid off to say that...

rantoff.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (farcryoverspilledmilk @ Jul 29 2010, 11:18 AM)
Ed is no big fan of anything post 1981 so this comes as no real shock. Although he did admit to liking Earthshine, Freeze, Double Agent, and Far Cry to me last year when I met him at a dinner.

Ok, I can see Far Cry on that list, but those other songs were his favorites from the past 30 years? Yikes! unsure.gif

QUOTE (farcryoverspilledmilk @ Jul 29 2010, 02:18 PM)
Ed is no big fan of anything post 1981 so this comes as no real shock. Although he did admit to liking Earthshine, Freeze, Double Agent, and Far Cry to me last year when I met him at a dinner.

I like all those tunes, actually. smile.gif

Archived