roadshow

tkdryan

I didn't think so. I think I said in another thread that honestly the only reason I finished it was because it was Peart. Can't say that I'd recommend it but there are obviously a lot of inside Rush items that you probably want to read about.

I liked "Traveling Music" best, because it contained the most autobiographical information about Neil. "Roadshow" is probably second, in my opinion.

You need to remember that these are TRAVEL books, and as such Neil spends a lot of time talking about plants, trees, rocks, birds, and the histories of small towns he passes through. Nothing could be duller to me; I read these books for the Rush references, the talk about MUSIC and the personal Neil details. The rest is pretty boring.

He spends a lot of time talking about church signs.

He reveals his true opinions about America as he documents his journey. He is not fond of the police here (I can relate.) However, he does come off as condescending at certain points.

It is an enjoyable read for the anecdotal Rush nuggets, as GR and JB have indicated. personally, I'm glad I found it at the library and saved about $30. It is worth 1 read, but not really worth buying.

Don't listen to these negative Nancy's, they have no idea what they're talking about. It's a great read and it's essential material for your Rush collection.

In fact, stop what you're doing right now, head down to your local book store and buy it immediately.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Aug 2 2010, 10:28 AM)
Don't listen to these negative Nancy's, they have no idea what they're talking about. It's a great read and it's essential material for your Rush collection.

In fact, stop what you're doing right now, head down to your local book store and buy it immediately.

Exactly!

In fact, pay the clerk DOUBLE and thank him for the privilege!

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Aug 2 2010, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Aug 2 2010, 04:15 PM)
I really liked Roadshow. Bought it when it first came out, read it in almost 1 sitting. It was very good.

Same here, excellent read.

Yeah i have been looking for it, I think I have to go to amazon if I cant find it sad.gif . I love his style of writing. Im interested in his travels and commentary. It also gives me ideas for where to take my motorcycle. Roadshow has inspired me to buy a convertable for my next car 653.gif

>Thanks for the help

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 26 2010, 08:40 AM)
I liked "Traveling Music" best, because it contained the most autobiographical information about Neil. "Roadshow" is probably second, in my opinion.

You need to remember that these are TRAVEL books, and as such Neil spends a lot of time talking about plants, trees, rocks, birds, and the histories of small towns he passes through. Nothing could be duller to me; I read these books for the Rush references, the talk about MUSIC and the personal Neil details. The rest is pretty boring.

goodpost.gif

yes.gif and yes.gif

Went and ordered it on Amazon today, after searching all of the Borders and Half priced books around town

finally finished today. Good book, nice surprise in the end where he states that he misses working with the guys. Good book

I enjoyed Traveling music a little more however. I thought it was more insightful about the history of Rush. Still a good read

Ghost Rider was a nice glimpse into his life. sad.gif

Im glad he is still around to write these books and music still

Bumping this thread since (A) I'm reading Roadshow right now and ( B ) I foresee myself eventually taking over this board with my ridiculous spam of writing and art.

Ahem, ahem.

I'm not done with this book yet, but I am on page.. 116. And I've had it about 48 hours by now.

I didn't have to worry much about cost, since I had a gift card and a 50%-off coupon, so in the end it was only ten bucks. To put it into perspective, that's about two trips to the local Starbucks. I figured it'd be worth it.

Before, I wasn't really into traveling, but I started reading and it really turned me on. Could just be me, but I've loved how he describes everything so vividly; certainly Peart has strong voice in his writing. It's one of the things I love best about it, is sort of "seeing" the world and the tour through his eyes.

Another great thing is all he writes about concerning the crew and other people in production. I suppose I've always wondered what it would be like to tour and this book is a fantastic insight into that.

Oh, and (spoiler) did I see a mention of a TRF-er in there...? From chapter three:

During the pre-show dinner with Geddy and Alex, we were talking about some of the familiar fans we remembered from many shows and many tours, and joked that we were starting to talk about their social lives - "That blonde girl who's always waving the Rush license plate has a new boyfriend. He looks nice."

Buuuut I could be wrong. I'm not sure of the aforementioned girl's username, if she is on TRF, but I seem to recall a couple photographs around in someone's signature here.. Still made me laugh.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jan 3 2011, 05:44 PM)
Oh, and (spoiler) did I see a mention of a TRF-er in there...? From chapter three:
During the pre-show dinner with Geddy and Alex, we were talking about some of the familiar fans we remembered from many shows and many tours, and joked that we were starting to talk about their social lives - "That blonde girl who's always waving the Rush license plate has a new boyfriend. He looks nice."

Buuuut I could be wrong. I'm not sure of the aforementioned girl's username, if she is on TRF, but I seem to recall a couple photographs around in someone's signature here.. Still made me laugh.

You're thinking of Jill (iluvgeddy), but I don't think that's who Neil is talking about.

There's another blonde woman I'm thinking of - and I think she posts on CP, not TRF. She travels to multiple shows on the same tour, is often in the first few rows, and has been noticed by the band.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 3 2011, 06:39 PM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jan 3 2011, 05:44 PM)

You're thinking of Jill (iluvgeddy), but I don't think that's who Neil is talking about.

There's another blonde woman I'm thinking of - and I think she posts on CP, not TRF. She travels to multiple shows on the same tour, is often in the first few rows, and has been noticed by the band.

Ahh.. Well.. Thanks for the clarification. (:

QUOTE (tkdryan @ Jan 3 2011, 09:07 PM)
so how far are u into this book now?

I haven't read yet today. o3o

I always read at night before I sleep.

But I can certainly share any more thoughts I have on the book as I go further through it.