Dots on Geddy's keyboards?

toolfansat

The other night at the Mohegan Sun show, when Geddy was playing keyboards and they were showing an overhead view of him on the video screen, I noticed red and green stickers on some of the keys on both his keyboards.

Anyone know what they are for?

My best guesses are:

1) Reference points for when he is switching between keys and bass (similar to the dots on a guitar fretboard).

or

2) Indicators for keys that trigger samples...

Anyone?

Thanks

due to the low light at times on stage, the fact that he is playing some sick bass line and singing all at the same time, they are reference points. If you look they are all on C keys which gives him a quicker acquisition of the correct notes to be played

QUOTE (toolfansat @ Jul 23 2010, 06:00 PM)
The other night at the Mohegan Sun show, when Geddy was playing keyboards and they were showing an overhead view of him on the video screen, I noticed red and green stickers on some of the keys on both his keyboards.

Anyone know what they are for?

My best guesses are:

1) Reference points for when he is switching between keys and bass (similar to the dots on a guitar fretboard).

or

2) Indicators for keys that trigger samples...

Anyone?

Thanks

The Red and Green stickers remind Geddy of what it's like "Christmas in July".!!!

It reminds him of all the money they are making from the high ticket prices they are charging.!! All the best to them!!

QUOTE (Paulio91184 @ Jul 23 2010, 06:07 PM)
due to the low light at times on stage, the fact that he is playing some sick bass line and singing all at the same time, they are reference points. If you look they are all on C keys which gives him a quicker acquisition of the correct notes to be played

Bingo!

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 23 2010, 07:32 PM)
QUOTE (djtess @ Jul 23 2010, 06:12 PM)
The Red and Green stickers remind Geddy of what it's like "Christmas in July".!!!

Apparently, you forgot: Geddy Lee is a Jew.

This f*ckin' guy......

They are trigger notes. You'll notice if you watch their recent DVDs, he will hit them and an entire section of keys will play.

Youll see him just holding that note while something is playing. I think its just because its probably too much for him to memorize at this point.

Not only do they have to learn songs they dont listen to on a regular basis like we do, but he has to remember the lyrics, vocal melodies and basslines. Playing all the keys is a bit much I think, so he those dots are trigger notes. They are also reference points as someone mentioned, but thats not all they are.

Edited by trenken

I only saw them for a quick second and I'm no keyboard player really but it looked like the left hand was a C note, then there were 3 for the right hand C E and I forget what the third was..perhaps another C or a G...I didn't look at the screens much at all.

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Jul 23 2010, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jul 23 2010, 07:32 PM)
QUOTE (djtess @ Jul 23 2010, 06:12 PM)

Apparently, you forgot: Geddy Lee is a Jew.

This f*ckin' guy......

wait - you're not Jewish, too - are you?

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 23 2010, 08:09 PM)
They are trigger notes. You'll notice if you watch their recent DVDs, he will hit them and an entire section of keys will play.

Youll see him just holding that note while something is playing. I think its just because its probably too much for him to memorize at this point.

Not only do they have to learn songs they dont listen to on a regular basis like we do, but he has to remember the lyrics, vocal melodies and basslines. Playing all the keys is a bit much I think, so he those dots are trigger notes. They are also reference points as someone mentioned, but thats not all they are.

Does anyone consider that cheating? Isnt it similar to mili vanilli lip synching?

QUOTE (test4eggroll @ Jul 24 2010, 11:28 AM)

Does anyone consider that cheating? Isnt it similar to mili vanilli lip synching?

no.gif

No way! I'd much rather have the boys trigger samples than to have them "piped" in from an outside source. There is alot going on up there. Geddy is playing bass, doing vocals and playing keys with hands and feet. Both Alex and Neil are aslo very busy guys. Their music is so complicated that to pull off some of these songs live, they need triggered sounds. All three guys are responsible for triggering.

I think one of the guys running the boards used to help with triggering, but I'm pretty sure it's now almost all done on stage.

QUOTE (Paulio91184 @ Jul 23 2010, 06:07 PM)

actually I just saw a pic. of the keyboard, they aren't all C's. many of them aren't actually. so I think they are sample triggers

Nope, not cheating. I've seen an interview somewhere where Ged said that the samples are all of sounds they have made, or played and then they trigger them all themselves at the right time. I would think that hitting those at the exact right time must not be easy.

The red dot is for when Alex screws up, it opens a trap door on the stage and then Alex is replaced by a robot. The green dot is for when Alex does right, and is rewarded with $$$ directly in to his bank account.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 24 2010, 02:09 AM)

Its not just a recent thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVXMTNKIEak&feature=related

Watch his left hand from 0:33 onwards. He changes note twice.

I should point out, that the video is not a spoiler, its Mission from the Hold Your Fire tour.

Edited by Sir Lerxst

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Aug 9 2010, 10:18 PM)

I should point out, that the video is not a spoiler, its Mission from the Hold Your Fire tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E0m0Gcblp0

at 1 minute, you cant see it, but you know he's triggering the sequence of notes with one hit. They avoid showing his hands on the keys there.

But who gives a crap - he's not trying (nor can one) to be a full fledged keyboardist and bassist at one time.

The thing has always been, triggers OK, but as much as possible set in motion by them.

Im sure youve seen the keyboard sequences even set into motion by Neil on the bloody drums. Its just the work of the three piece re-creating theyre layered multitrack shit form their albums.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 10 2010, 03:23 AM)
QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Aug 9 2010, 10:18 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E0m0Gcblp0

at 1 minute, you cant see it, but you know he's triggering the sequence of notes with one hit. They avoid showing his hands on the keys there.

But who gives a crap - he's not trying (nor can one) to be a full fledged keyboardist and bassist at one time.

The thing has always been, triggers OK, but as much as possible set in motion by them.

Im sure youve seen the keyboard sequences even set into motion by Neil on the bloody drums. Its just the work of the three piece re-creating theyre layered multitrack shit form their albums.

I haven't got an issue with them sampling stuff, so long as they are done reasonably, and do not replace the guys... I mean, what is the point in there being a guitar sample, if the guitarist is left doing anything.

I was just pointing out that sampling, is at least a 22 year practice for Rush.

Edited by Sir Lerxst