The Brilliance Of Squeeze

Tick

I have never seen a thread on Squeeze before on the board and while listening to them today, I thought wow, these guys write great songs.

In my opinion Glenn Tilbrook and Chris Difford just know how to write the perfect pop song. If you know nothing about Squeeze, you should.

If you are familiar with there music, you probably agree with my view.(or not)

I have the greatest hits in my Ipod today and am quite enjoying it.

• Like 1

I love Squeeze. Love them, have for decades, since I first heard them on MTV in 1982.

Unfortunately, they suck live. It is one of only 2 concerts I have ever walked out of, and we left before the first set was over. They sounded great, but have absolutely no stage presence at all. Just really boring. It was so disappointing.

"Another Nail In My Heart" is now racing round my brain. Not a bad thing, either. Thanks tick -will head home and put on some Squeeze!

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 23 2010, 04:17 PM)
I love Squeeze. Love them, have for decades, since I first heard them on MTV in 1982.

Unfortunately, they suck live. It is one of only 2 concerts I have ever walked out of, and we left before the first set was over. They sounded great, but have absolutely no stage presence at all. Just really boring. It was so disappointing.

"Another Nail In My Heart" is now racing round my brain. Not a bad thing, either. Thanks tick -will head home and put on some Squeeze!

trink39.gif

never saw them live by the way, but man do they write some great songs.

It's cool for cats - I'ts cool for cats

music.gif cool for cats music.gif

http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Cats-and-Dogs/cat.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 23 2010, 04:17 PM)

When I saw them they were excellent! I think I saw them in 1985, though.

Anyway, excellent band. Argybargy and East Side Story are must haves.

• Like 1

Another band from the same era who really knew how to write good pop music was Split Enz, from En Zed. They didn't last as long as Squeeze, but Neil Finn went on to bigger things with Crowded House.

"I Got You" is a classic, along with "Six Months In A Leaky Boat". yes.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 24 2010, 12:13 PM)
Another band from the same era who really knew how to write good pop music was Split Enz, from En Zed.  They didn't last as long as Squeeze, but Neil Finn went on to bigger things with Crowded House. 

"I Got You" is a classic, along with "Six Months In A Leaky Boat".  yes.gif

trink38.gif trink39.gif

+1 here, love Squeeze...Up The Junction is another great one.

And although Crowded House might not be the most exciting band either, they also have a knack for writing just great tunes.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 23 2010, 04:48 PM)
Not too familiar with their music, but I do like "Tempted" and "Black Coffee in Bed".

Black Coffee in Bed is one of my favorite Squeeze songs, I saw them only once, many years ago.

I didn't find them boring at all - I seem to remember a good fun show.. Their opener was Katrina and the Waves.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jul 24 2010, 11:24 AM)
Great great band. I love them. Tilbrook has an amazing voice, and Diffords lyrics are great. Saw them at a club in DC a club of years back and they were fantastic.

I can easily see how they'd be good in a club setting, or a venue that was kind of on the smaller side. I saw them in a midsize venue and it just didn't work. 1988, by the way.

"Black Coffee In Bed" was the first song of theirs I heard, and it was on MTV. Back when it really was "Music Television".

I've loved this band from the first time I heard them...MTV in the 80s.

I saw them back in the day at the Brendan Byrne Arena in New Jersey with Oingo Boingo on 21 December 1985.

They were just fantastic...

...highly under rated Cool for Cats, indeed!

I'm a big fan. I just listened to their whole catalog over the past week, and I enjoyed every second of it. I have their first eight albums, plus their most recent album, The Knowledge, on vinyl. I saw them open for Hall and Oates last year, and they were great. Their current lineup is very strong, and I hope they continue to release new music. They closed with "Black Coffee In Bed", and finished it off with solos from the pedal steel guitarist, keyboardist, percussionist, drummer, and bassist.

Edited by Super25Smasher
  • Like 1