Who's the most talented

karkarius

Truly? Can't really say. I'm copping out and just saying that it's a very wonderful turn of fate that had these three supremely talented individuals find each other.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex is my fav because I think he's usually underated, and largely over-shadowed. I was in a Sam Ash the other day and R30 was playing on the house TV's. Young hippie dude selling guitars nods up to the TV and says "most underated guitar player of all time" I couldn't agree more.

Neil is the most talented. Revolutionary. No one was doing the stuff he did at the time he did. Going back through the catalog, you have to realize the songs are not the same without his incredible drum arrangements. Truly. Truly visionary. He was blessed by God with unnatural talent to write and play tongue.gif

All three of them are very, very talented. And the amazing mix that is Rush is an amazing, ongoing act of synchronicity that we fans are blessed and amazed to experience. The whole is most definitely much more than the sum of its parts.

That being said, from a musician's point of view and a bit of one who is also multi-talented on all the various fronts here (other multi-talented musician/writers, please back me up on this...), I'm going to have to rate them --

1) Geddy

2) Alex

3) Neil

Now Neil has written some great lyrics, quite a bit of mediocre lyrics, and some downright cheesy lyrics. His prowees in this area alone is admirable, but nothing super-stellar in the big picture. Ditto for his drumming. He's a pioneer, but also a product of his times. A great, but not stellar, imho.

Now Alex is my favorite guitarist bar none. His variety of expression, of guitar-tones, of riffs, of solos, of guitar-comments, of accompaniment approaches, of ways to fulfill both rhythm and lead roles in a variety of song styles, of perennial motifs, of musicianship, of sense of what's trendy and what's just on the outside of that trend... it's all very, very remarkable. He would be my #1 (and is).

But when it comes to downright talent, to the super-glue that holds it all together, to that enigmatic love/hate charisma, to that ownership and responsibility and ultimately intimate fan connection, it's Geddy that wins by a nose in this department. As versatile as Alex is in his very many guitar styles, Geddy has as many if not more original melodies -- ergo, 'songs' - than his brethren have.

It's somewhat of an afterthought to provide supporting roles to a sung melody -- all the pieces of the melody, and thus the chord progressions, and thus the conceptual musical framework, and thus the multiple takes... To come up with the original vocal work is what separates the elite from the masses. There are successes and the failures, but the one who has the most successes is the one who counts.

Not too mention writing very memorable and technically rewarding bass lines WHILE singing those songs. The keyboard aspect was simply another dimension of the sense of melody that Alex himself has mentioned he deeply respects...

Oops, sorry for the essay.

Bottomline, it's the sum of all 3 that makes this work. 2.gif

QUOTE (briremo @ Jul 23 2010, 08:38 PM)
Alex is my fav because I think he's usually underated, and largely over-shadowed. I was in a Sam Ash the other day and R30 was playing on the house TV's. Young hippie dude selling guitars nods up to the TV and says "most underated guitar player of all time" I couldn't agree more.

Neil is the most talented. Revolutionary. No one was doing the stuff he did at the time he did. Going back through the catalog, you have to realize the songs are not the same without his incredible drum arrangements. Truly. Truly visionary. He was blessed by God with unnatural talent to write and play tongue.gif

Alex is beyond underrated. Neil will always be the best drummer in the world to me.

Saying that though it has to be Geddy.

Even his lyrics in "Chemistry" are very good. trink39.gif

Alex. Geddy and Neil are probably the best back up band in the world, (according to Lifeson, kiddingly, during Rush in Rio). GL and NP get all the well deserved accolades as being the best at their particular crafts as players in the progressive music circles. But, Alex is the straw that stirs the drink. If you assess each member on technical merit alone then maybe there is room for argument. However, alone doesn't make much of a band.

Together, they are masterful.

I'm a huge fan of the old Rush alot more than the new and while I love the drum work within the songs more on the old stuff I think Neil is actually a better drummer now than back in the day. Most drummers deteriorate with time and age but he is even better now.

I think Neil is the most talented, but Geddy is not far behind. In fact he pretty was the most talented member back in the days when he sang, played unbelievable bass and keys all at the same time.

I thin Alex has dropped off the most but was and still is one of my favotite guitarists ever.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 24 2010, 01:59 AM)

Alex is beyond underrated. Neil will always be the best drummer in the world to me.

I really think Geddy could have done just fine as a lyricist, had he wanted the job. Neil's got a real knack for it, though, and his extensive reading gives him a lot to draw from.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 24 2010, 12:50 PM)

I really think Geddy could have done just fine as a lyricist, had he wanted the job. Neil's got a real knack for it, though, and his extensive reading gives him a lot to draw from.

Geddy also wrote the lyrics to "Different Strings". Very nice job, Geddy!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 24 2010, 09:55 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 24 2010, 12:50 PM)

Geddy also wrote the lyrics to "Different Strings". Very nice job, Geddy!

Very true!!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 24 2010, 09:50 AM)

Indeed! Neil does have a real Knack for it too!

Love,

"My Sharona" wink.gif

I'd have to go with Geddy, and not just because I wub.gif him. The fact that he plays multiple instruments while singing and jumping all over the stage is still astounding to me.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 24 2010, 01:10 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 24 2010, 09:50 AM)

Indeed! Neil does have a real Knack for it too!

Love,

"My Sharona" wink.gif

Hey Rashhead where's my case of beer confused13.gif i'm a little low on scratch here in NYC laugh.gif 2.gif

Ask a mother whose child she loves the most... it's just impossible!

But ok, let's take it like a game: as all the people vote Geedy or Neil I'll vote for Alex who's the funiest guitarist ever (*)!!!

(*) even Y J. Malmsteeen can't make me laugh that much (but not for the same reasons)!!!

I'd say Geddy or Neil is best. I'll say one of them is number one and the other number two, with Alex third.

Archived