Poopchutes & Bladders Tour had MORE surprises

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 24 2010, 04:19 PM)
We got:

1) Digital Man
2) Entre Nous
3) Mission
4) Circumstances
5) A Passage To Bangkok

and in this tour we gotthese surprises!

1. Time Stand Still

2. Presto

3. Faithless

4. Marathon

5. The Camera Eye

6. Vital Signs

7. BU2B

8. Caravan

9. Stick it Out

10.La Villa Strangiato

Just because you don't like the songs doesn't mean they aren't a surprise. Good or Bad they are surprises.

ph34r.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Phallic's Lifeson @ Jul 22 2010, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (druid13 @ Jul 22 2010, 03:07 PM)
"Phallic's Lifeson"....hmmm....interesting name.....hmmmmm.

I am not sure why people hate Presto so much?

I mean it does not remind me of.....
(MOD EDIT: pic of shit log removed)

Some songs on Presto are OK or at least listenable. But some are just mindnumbingly awful such as Whore Paint, The Ass, Pissto, Ass-a-grab For Man-ho, Red Mountain Fresh Tide with Bleach, Ass Insert Fist, Poopycumdickedher, and Available Shit.

Show Don't Tell and Chain Lightening are pretty good.

I nominate this post as the Worst Post Ever Made on TRF

cheer.gif Congratulations!!!! cheer.gif

Seriously, Presto is a great album, definitely their best 90's-era album.

Don't go around being a dumbass troll, look at how much people you've pissed off already.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 27 2010, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (syd11 @ Jul 27 2010, 11:02 AM)
I'm surprised they haven't booted your
@$$.

Welcome to last week!

wink.gif

doh.gif

Other than the songs of Moving Pictures I didn't know what they were going to play this tour so I was surprised to hear Working Man, 2112 1-2, La Villa Strangiato and Closer To The Heart. I didn't think they'd play them again. Edited by Rushian King

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Jul 28 2010, 08:41 AM)
How can anything from Moving Pictures be considered a surprise?

How can it be ? It was part of the press release for the tour .

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jul 29 2010, 09:54 AM)
Its disappointing Rush won't produce a fan-tailored setlist.

I agree. No reason they can't have an online poll on their website so people can vote. Iron Maiden is one of the bands that did it and the set was great. Just once they should do it.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 29 2010, 10:58 AM)

I agree. No reason they can't have an online poll on their website so people can vote. Iron Maiden is one of the bands that did it and the set was great. Just once they should do it.

Yeah...that would be awesome!

Make a setlist on Rush.com. That would be amazing...no reason why they couldn't step up and do it.

Similar thing...I remember years ago before Joe Satriani released his "Anthology" 2 CD greatest hits album, he put up his entire discography on his website, and had his fans pick 30 songs they wanted. The entire album ended up being taken from that list. I thought that was really cool of him. yes.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jul 29 2010, 12:31 PM)

Make a setlist on Rush.com. That would be amazing...no reason why they couldn't step up and do it.

Yeah, there is a reason why they wouldn't do that -- the fans would pick a bunch of songs Geddy can't sing anymore, and a bunch of songs they have absolutely no interest in playing.

The only way that idea would work is if the band gave a list of the handful of songs that won't be played, and we had to choose from what's left.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 29 2010, 12:53 PM)

Yeah, there is a reason why they wouldn't do that -- the fans would pick a bunch of songs Geddy can't sing anymore, and a bunch of songs they have absolutely no interest in playing.

The only way that idea would work is if the band gave a list of the handful of songs that won't be played, and we had to choose from what's left.

I know what you're saying 73, but I want to point out that I don't really buy the whole "Geddy can't sing" stuff.

I mean, hear me out. These guys have been playing 2112 on basically every tour, and to me, the "Temples" section is one of the most unreachable songs in terms of how high Ged's voice gets.

If he can pull off 2112 (which he can), I don't see how he can't pull off the other stuff. Yes, I understand that some songs may need to be tuned down, or whatnot, but it is possible. 2112 proves that it is still possible to have those tunes (which Ged can't sing) still sound awesome live.

The same goes with Circumstances from last tour...it sounded great live, and I was happy to hear it.

Don't get me wrong...I know they won't sound exactly as good as the studio recordings...but I would rather hear these awesome classic tunes in a slightly lower pitch, then not hear them at all.

Hopefully this makes sense...

Not only would the set list include a bunch of songs that they don't want to play, but there's the real chance that people would select all of their longer songs and we'd end up with a 6 hour concert.

They've always been pretty 'control-freakish' (is that a word?) about their concerts and would rather have everything perfected and not do anything half-baked.

There's also the possibility of having a song selected that's difficult for Geddy to sing, or difficult for them to pull off a perfect version in concert. I sort of wonder if they changed the intro section in La Villa because Alex couldn't play the classical 'flurry' anymore. unsure.gif

It's a nice valid idea, but I don't think it would fly (by night) wink.gif Perhaps they could say, ok here's a list of 10 songs, we'll play the top 6 vote getters and fill in the rest of the set with our choices.

QUOTE (growingbald @ Jul 29 2010, 10:06 AM)
Not only would the set list include a bunch of songs that they don't want to play, but there's the real chance that people would select all of their longer songs and we'd end up with a 6 hour concert.

I would love a 6 hour concert...

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jul 29 2010, 01:01 PM)

I know what you're saying 73, but I want to point out that I don't really buy the whole "Geddy can't sing" stuff.

I mean, hear me out. These guys have been playing 2112 on basically every tour, and to me, the "Temples" section is one of the most unreachable songs in terms of how high Ged's voice gets.

If he can pull off 2112 (which he can), I don't see how he can't pull off the other stuff. Yes, I understand that some songs may need to be tuned down, or whatnot, but it is possible. 2112 proves that it is still possible to have those tunes (which Ged can't sing) still sound awesome live.

The same goes with Circumstances from last tour...it sounded great live, and I was happy to hear it.

Don't get me wrong...I know they won't sound exactly as good as the studio recordings...but I would rather hear these awesome classic tunes in a slightly lower pitch, then not hear them at all.

Some songs sound good tuned down. "2112" is a good example. It still sounds like the song we know even though it's transposed down a step.

Some songs don't work as well. "Circumstances" should have brought the house down on the last tour, but those signature riffs and chord progressions didn't sound right in a lower key.

There's no way to know if a song will work in a different key until you hear it. That first chord in "Fly By Night" is instantly recognizable, to the point where you could name that tune after hearing just that first chord. That would get lost if they tuned it down, and Geddy would probably want to tune that song down to be able to sing it comfortably.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jul 29 2010, 12:01 PM)

Here's the deal with that:

I don't know if you are a musician or not but they only play those songs tuned a full step down and he STILL has a super hard time not sounding like his throat is going to explode.

Do I want to hear all of my favorite songs in death metal tuning sung poorly? Not at all.

That music will live on through tribute bands sorry to say. I have one in mind that can play every old song you would ever want to hear note for note. The singing is exceptional as well!

cool10.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 29 2010, 09:58 AM)

Why won't they do it?

Possibly because a major part of the fanbase stopped even trying to listen to new material 20 years ago and the resulting list would bore the shit out of the band.

Only 8 songs out of the 24 on Time Machine are from the last 20 years (Presto> Caravan/BU2B) and this place is still littered with people complaining that the setlist doesn't have enough old songs fists crying.gif

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jul 29 2010, 06:06 PM)
Only 8 songs out of the 24 on Time Machine are from the last 20 years (Presto> Caravan/BU2B) and this place is still littered with people complaining that the setlist doesn't have enough old songs  fists crying.gif

Good point.

But I do think it would be cool if they were to put up a list of, say, 20 songs to vote on that they'd be willing to play, and then play the top 5 fan picks. Something like that.

Edited by PariahDog

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jul 29 2010, 10:01 AM)

I know what you're saying 73

why do they call you 73?

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 29 2010, 08:24 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jul 29 2010, 10:01 AM)

I know what you're saying 73

why do they call you 73?

Because 73 translates into 1001001 in binary. Or so I'm told. cool.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 29 2010, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jul 29 2010, 01:01 PM)

Some songs sound good tuned down. "2112" is a good example. It still sounds like the song we know even though it's transposed down a step.

Some songs don't work as well. "Circumstances" should have brought the house down on the last tour, but those signature riffs and chord progressions didn't sound right in a lower key.

There's no way to know if a song will work in a different key until you hear it. That first chord in "Fly By Night" is instantly recognizable, to the point where you could name that tune after hearing just that first chord. That would get lost if they tuned it down, and Geddy would probably want to tune that song down to be able to sing it comfortably.

it still sounds like rush, tuned down or not. the 2112 from test for echo tour- amazing, best 25 min. of live music i've ever experienced; plus if i want to hear 2112, i usually favor the diff. stages version- partially due to the extended discovery, but i LIKE the way it sounds in D: that's music-speak for them tuning down...

circumstances sounded great on the snakes tour- different is not always bad. you've just heard the studio version too many times like me probably laugh.gif i think it sounds better than a passage to bangkok, which is in standard tuning, ged's voice is all over the place.

if you listen to zep from the '07 reunion show, they played a lot of it tuned down as well. sounds different, but heavy as hell! especially the opener: good times bad times... 1022.gif