Neil Peart Barely Paradiddles Past Travis Barker;

drummer40

Hello Rush Forum:

If you've already heard that Neil Peart, for a fourth straight time, has won DRUM! Magazine's "Drummie Of The Year" then I'm sorry. This is completely amazing.

Here's a release that discusses why he won:

http://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/...es-results.html

Best,

Drummer 40

God bless this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Travis Barker makes Tommy Lee sound like Buddy Rich . I Had faith in the "Real" magazines until now . This asshat Barker wins polls how? Little fanboys. In all reality, how did Neil win best drummer of the year when all he did was that Hockey theme ? joke And no, i did not read why he won, this happens all the time

QUOTE (drummer40 @ Jul 21 2010, 07:49 PM)
If you've already heard that Neil Peart, for a fourth straight time, has won DRUM! Magazine's "Drummie Of The Year" then I'm sorry. This is completely amazing.

confused13.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 21 2010, 06:55 PM)
QUOTE (drummer40 @ Jul 21 2010, 07:49 PM)

confused13.gif

No shit. And why is this amazing? 4 years? Mike Portnoy won best prog drummer 12 years in a row . Crap

Travis has maybe 1% the skill level Neil does. It was a popular vote, and kids must like the way Travis gets all enthusiastic when playing his constant 16th notes or something. Very plain and boring to me. No dynamics, no cool drum fills, nothing. That's the way I see it. At least Neil won again.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jul 22 2010, 11:01 AM)
Travis has maybe 1% the skill level Neil does. It was a popular vote, and kids must like the way Travis gets all enthusiastic when playing his constant 16th notes or something. Very plain and boring to me. No dynamics, no cool drum fills, nothing. That's the way I see it. At least Neil won again.

These days how technically proficient you are behind the kit means nothing to most people outside of drummers.

It's all about feel, and he plays those good hard rocking beats that people like now, good groove. It was enough to make him rich and famous, but there's plenty of guys that can spin circles around him that arent going anywhere.

As far as music today, rocking beats and energy are far more important than complex fills and whatnot.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 21 2010, 04:54 PM)
Travis Barker makes Tommy Lee sound like Buddy Rich . I Had faith in the "Real" magazines until now . This asshat Barker wins polls how? Little fanboys. In all reality, how did Neil win best drummer of the year when all he did was that Hockey theme ? joke And no, i did not read why he won, this happens all the time

HAHAHAHA!

Dude! You are a crack up! I thought Travis was one hell of a drummer until I found out that he's addicted to Pro Tools. Travis is talented but he's a cheat too.

Now Gavin Harrison is the Real Deal!!!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 22 2010, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jul 22 2010, 11:01 AM)

These days how technically proficient you are behind the kit means nothing to most people outside of drummers.

It's all about feel, and he plays those good hard rocking beats that people like now, good groove. It was enough to make him rich and famous, but there's plenty of guys that can spin circles around him that arent going anywhere.

As far as music today, rocking beats and energy are far more important than complex fills and whatnot.

But it's an award for drumming...

Congrats to Neil!! A well-deserved award!

However, Travis Barker being the second place drummer....Guys like Carl Palmer, Aynsley Dunbar, Carmine Appice, Terry Bozzio, Bill Bruford, Michael Gilles.....I could go on forever are MUCH more skilled drummers than he is. Barker is a good drummer, but WAY overrated

QUOTE (Hoovermac @ Jul 23 2010, 02:02 AM)
Congrats to Neil!! A well-deserved award!

However, Travis Barker being the second place drummer....Guys like Carl Palmer, Aynsley Dunbar, Carmine Appice, Terry Bozzio, Bill Bruford, Michael Gilles.....I could go on forever are MUCH more skilled drummers than he is. Barker is a good drummer, but WAY overrated

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

Add Clive Bunker, Barriemore Barlow, Ian Paice and Alan White to the list!

I don't think Travis is so bad. Seriously he has pretty good technique and he is probably one of the most influential young drummers out there today. Neil Peart inspired me to play drums when I was a kid. Travis is doing the same today, and that ain't a bad thing. I don't hate on anyone who plays an instrument. It's all good. And these polls are popularity contests reflecting the times - shouldn't take it personally.

Archived