Weed and Rush...

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 22 2010, 04:57 AM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 21 2010, 09:08 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 21 2010, 07:47 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 21 2010, 03:28 PM)
Weed makes the music sound a lot better. That's the main reason people smoke at concerts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for legalization and privatization of weed. I, myself, am over it. This statement, however, is something that I have to contest. If you sincerely believe that weed enhances the sound of music, there is something wrong. Weed does nothing of the sort. The interplay of instruments, harmony, and rhythm is something that is best enjoyed sober.

That being said, Xanadu is about weed.

Excuse me, but have you ever smoked weed? I have, and let me tell you, it absolutely does make music sound better.

Actually, yes I have. That was what I meant by personally being over it. I should have been more clear. If you need weed to make music sound better then that is sad. I stand corrected on the Xanadu reference.

As for anyone who thinks it enhances the creative process and that musicians who toke make better music, I've got two words that prove this theory wrong: Jimmy Buffett. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 22 2010, 08:13 AM)
I quit smoking pot in 1998, but I in my early Rush days(daze) I enjoyed the enhancement it gave me. I just had enough by the late 90's and said bye bye to smoking weed.

Good for you! I used to smoke A LOT in Jr. High (many moons ago) but finally got to the point where the paranoia factor was just too much for me. Since then I've had it a couple times over the years and each of those times, afterwards, I wish I hadn't. The problem with it for me, outside of it being illegal, is I can have 2-3 beers or a couple of drinks and have a nice 'buzz' if I want. I can't smoke pot and have a 'buzz'. If I smoke it.....I'm WASTED! Doesn't matter if it's a little or a lot....I'm WASTED! It's in control of me! The 2.gif es (falling feeling), the way it takes over your thinking processes, the paranoia ...all that adds up to a feeling I don't like.

Much rather this trink38.gif - over this cool10.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 22 2010, 08:28 AM)
QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jul 22 2010, 03:17 AM)
The most weed I've ever seen at one time was at a Bob Dylan show. When he played Rainy Day Women the whole place went up in smoke.

I'd have to be high as a kite - on that fine line between barely alert and comatose - to get through two hours of Dylan.

trink39.gif I'm with you on that one! I have a good deal of respect for the man, but a little Bob Dylan, like cilantro, goes a long way for me.

Lets ask the question: Best RUSH songs to listen to while high?

Top 15 in no particular order:

Passage to Bangkok

The Necromancer

Xanadu

Bravado (Alex's solo Live)

cygnus X-1

Natural Science

Red Barchetta

Losing It

YYZ (the only rush song you can actually dance to)

Grand Designs

Time and Motion (Live)

Stick It Out (The video is trippy)

No One at the Bridge

I Think Im Going Bald

Lakeside Park

Edited by test4eggroll

QUOTE (test4eggroll @ Jul 22 2010, 10:02 AM)
Lets ask the question: Best RUSH songs to listen to while high?

In The Mood

Madrigal

Tai Shan

Superconductor

Everyday Glory

Virtuality

The Larger Bowl

^ THAT mix tape will sound AWESOME for you

"SAVE Lives... Legalize Pot... Ban Alcohol.. "

Yessssss....couldn't agree more. At the hospital where I work, I see a great deal of folks that are suffering and dying from alcohol, long term use (liver failure, etc), and short term use(car accidents and alcohol poisoning). Yet, for as many years as I have been there, no marajuana related issues. I can tell you that the long term drunks have been a very large burden to our health system (taxpayer money) as they do not pay for their healthcare since they just drink all day instead of being employed (i guess some have no choice?) The stoners will definately contribute to the economy by purchasing snacks laugh.gif

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jul 22 2010, 09:05 AM)
The most weed I've ever seen at one time was at a Bob Dylan show. When he played Rainy Day Women the whole place went up in smoke.

I'd have to be high as a kite - on that fine line between barely alert and comatose - to get through two hours of Dylan.

trink39.gif I'm with you on that one! I have a good deal of respect for the man, but a little Bob Dylan, like cilantro, goes a long way for me.

I can listen to Dylan all day long and often do.

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jul 22 2010, 12:55 PM)

Dylan is pretty much a love-him-or-hate-him thing in terms of his singing. I don't know ANYONE who doesn't have respect and admiration for his songwriting skills, though.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jul 21 2010, 04:36 PM)
People have been getting high for as long as there have been concerts.

I wouldn't expect that to change in the forseeable future.

Can't say it better then that. cool10.gif

One reason why I posted before I don't think kids under 10 should be taken to concerts. Not that the contact high won't help to keep them calm and behaved but......... wink.gif

QUOTE (roadqueen @ Jul 22 2010, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jul 21 2010, 04:36 PM)
People have been getting high for as long as there have been concerts.

I wouldn't expect that to change in the forseeable future.

Can't say it better then that. cool10.gif

One reason why I posted before I don't think kids under 10 should be taken to concerts. Not that the contact high won't help to keep them calm and behaved but......... wink.gif

yeah it's funny how I always see families with small kids at Rush shows, as if they're going to the circus or something. It's a ROCK CONCERT. Yeah it's Rush so it's not gonna be too crazy, but still.

QUOTE (yyz98 @ Jul 22 2010, 11:16 AM)
...at the hospital where I work, I see a great deal of folks that are suffering and dying from alcohol, long term use (liver failure, etc), and short term use(car accidents and alcohol poisoning). Yet, for as many years as I have been there, no marajuana related issues.

the 'empirical' data set you presented above is acutely flawed (but I bet you knew that, didn't you? wink.gif )

it is far more difficult to immediately attribute:

asthma

mouth cancer

lung cancer

anxiety

depression

schizophrenia

^ to marijuana than it is to attribute:

liver failure

alcohol-related car accidents

alcohol poisoning

^ to alcohol

just because it's effects aren't as obviously recognized/diagnosed, or as easily recognizable and attributable, and aren't as reported by patients (remember, marijuana is still 'illegal') does not make marijuana less dangerous/harmful than alcohol

a specious argument, my friend

[and you should know better]

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 22 2010, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jul 22 2010, 12:55 PM)

Dylan is pretty much a love-him-or-hate-him thing in terms of his singing. I don't know ANYONE who doesn't have respect and admiration for his songwriting skills, though.

I may be in the minority here but I actually LIKE Dylan's singing voice. At least it's different sounding and not cookie-cutter synth-crap that sounds like everyone else these days. For him tho it's ALWAYS been about what he is saying not how he says it.

He's brilliant.