COUNTDOWN to show.....

crazygeo

I'll be there!!! Crappy seats but at least I won't get wet!

And guys... really, the area of Camden that the venue is in it NOT all that bad. Obviously lock your car, but you'd do that anywhere, right? Relax!

Just got back from this show! I had lawn seats and I couldn't have asked for a better night. The ride to and from Camden was the easiest I've ever had (I've taken some unintended "tours" through Camden so I was nervous), the rain literally waited until I got back home at my front door, and most importantly, the show was AWESOME!!!

Did anyone else notice Neil Flubby McFlubberson Peart completely flub the ending of LVS?? Totally cool to hear a trainwreck from these guys.

Now my 25 year old legs hurt from standing for 6 hours. Sleep and no work tomorrow sounds incredible.

Edited by GrandDesigner

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jul 21 2010, 11:12 PM)
Just got back from this show! I had lawn seats and I couldn't have asked for a better night. The ride to and from Camden was the easiest I've ever had (I've taken some unintended "tours" through Camden so I was nervous), the rain literally waited until I got back home at my front door, and most importantly, the show was AWESOME!!!

Did anyone else notice Neil Flubby McFlubberson Peart completely flub the ending of LVS?? Totally cool to hear a trainwreck from these guys.

Now my 25 year old legs hurt from standing for 6 hours. Sleep and no work tomorrow sounds incredible.

There were definitely a few mess ups last night. Had a great view of neil (3rd row). He knew. Even saw him smile at one point!

I think some of the mess ups, especially near the end, may have been from the heat. By the end of the show everybody was sweating so much he might not have been able to hold the sticks.

Still a phenominal show!

Holy crap. Amazing show. Still recovering.More later.

Geddy was absolutely on fire.I've never seen him embelish his bass parts as much as he did last night.He was really laying into it every chance he got.I swear during Working Man he was tearing that bass up.Just shredding.

Edited by oldphilly

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jul 22 2010, 10:02 AM)
Holy crap. Amazing show. Still recovering.More later.

Geddy was absolutely on fire.I've never seen him embelish his bass parts as much as he did last night.He was really laying into it every chance he got.I swear during Working Man he was tearing that bass up.Just shredding.

I agree. This was my 15th show, and that was definitely the most intense playing I have seen from him. His fingers seemed to have limitless energy. And he was on (and pretty darn good with the vocals).

Maybe the crowd, maybe the heat, but whatever it was it was he awesome.

Playin da bass

Totally awesome as I expected it to be last night. My body is aching from all the jumping up and down! This band never ceases to amaze me! I noticed a few flubs here and there, but the heat was intense! Thanks again for the ticket, 8th row was great! What a buzz!!!! I will keep in touch with ya 2.gif fans! Need to find a new job.......

trink39.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif th1245.gif

A few more thoughts about last night's show. This was the first big "rock concert" I've been to in 17 years.I used to go to lot's of concerts as a teen but eventually outgrew it.I was tired of high tic prices,big obnoxious crowds,shitty seats,shitty soundsystems,expensive merchandise etc...Also my taste in music changed over the years and I began to prefer jazz played in a small intimate setting.Eventually I decided I'd never go to a big arena concert ever again-no matter who it was.

So when this tour was announced I was excited and decided this tour would bring me back out,but immediately decided not to attend due to absurdly high ticket prices. Well,lady luck shined on me a few months ago.I hooked up with a new gal who happens to be a HUGE Rush fan.She bought great seats for the show and asked me to go.Naturally I said yes.

Then I saw the set list and became skeptical again.

Fast forward to today: I haven't felt this elated and bristled with energy after a concert since oh...1985!! My girlfriend and I spent the entire day talking about last night's show. We couldn't even sleep last night...just amazing.

Needless to say I was beyond pleasently surprised at how the show really hit me.From the moment the pre show movie started till the last note of Working Man I was captivated.

I won't go into a song by song review but just a few observations:

IT WAS F*****G HOT!!! Anyone who was at the show knows what I mean.I had 9th row seats(1 row behind the "pit".)If you were inside up close it was brutal.The air just sat there like soup.there was no circulation and the humidity was off the charts.The band was notably uncomfortable-Alex's shirt was completely drenched in sweat by Time Stand Still lol.They boys were making faces at each other like"are you kidding with this heat?' geddy made several remarls about the heat.

I bring up the heat issue because I'm thoroughly impressed that the band was able to even get through the show without falling out.It was that bad.Neil looked like he was about to die during his drum solo,for real.They really worked HARD last night.Despite all that Geddy seemed to be on cloud nine and was just plowing through,really laying into it,playing with the most intensity I've EVER seen him play with.

Some highlights for me were:

Marathon-Geddy hitting all the high notes.

BU@B-heavy heavy heavy...and that bridge.Orgasmic.

Free Will-always great live.I actually noticed Geddy bracing himself for the "Each of us" section lol...he had a brief look of dread on his face.

TCE-Simply sublime.Hard to describe how awesome it was.I was in ecstacy.

Vital Signs-Closing section("Everybody...") THE highlight of the evening.Big,grandiose,orgasmic...it tickled my brain.

Far Cry-WOW! This tune had impact! The changes and everything were so tight with so much punch and geddy was still nailing everything vocally.

LVS-the 7/8 section leading up to the reprise.It had cooled off a little at this point.The light show was peaking ,everything was just perfect at this point...my God I swear I almost exploded.

I still have to say I felt a lull in the first set list from Presto thru Faithless.I'm not complaining but it's simply a fact that the crowd was not into this segment of the show as much as the rest of the show.However I did notice a handful of folks that were REALLY feeling Faithless and Working them Angels.SIO kinda fell flat.

Neils drum solo: Neil is in his late 50's and it shows.He played it safe this time which is fine.But man is he playing it really safe.Rudimentary patterns and the Big Band portion went on too long.But still the sound was pucnhy and the crowd was into it so it was still cool.I noticed he played it safe with some drum fills too but was pretty solid throughout despite a mjor flub during LVS(came in 2 counts early at one point)

Alex was sweating and suffering but still hammed it up and didn't suffer from any major technical/equipment issues.He changed shirts about 5 times lol.

Geddy was on fire, a madman.As I said in a previous post I've never (15 shows since 1984) seen geddy play with such intensity.he was having fun and just tearing things.He seemed to be ebellisng his bass parts ever chance he had.He was killing it at the end of Leave That Thing Alone.His playing during Working Man was almost indescribable-it was like he played that tune as if his life depended on it,or as if it was the last time he would ever play that tune.Over the top intensity.

Overall I'm super impressed that dudes in their 50's can rock out like they for three hours in that godforsaken het.I was exhausted just from watching.

The crowd: Not like it used to be.I was surprised at the number of father/son duos.more females than in the past too.Another thing of note was the lack of enthusiasm from the crowd.With the exception of a few moments the crowd seemed to be in a collective coma.I saw very little fist pumping,dancing,head bobbing,air drumming,screaming,singing,etc...very little.In fact at times I would look around and saw a sea of stationary heads and...completely dead.It was a little weird at times.I myself was acting a fool doing all the above.

So um yeah.great show-The boys could have easily just gone through the motions and played it safe but instead they gave their all the entire night.

Again,Geddy was a man posessed.

Have I said too much??

BTW...I hate to say it but I was sickened by the retarded borderline criminal prices for everything from parking,merchandise,food and beverages,etc...just absurd. $20 for parking,$20 tourbooks,$45 t-shirts,$4.50 CUPs of water,$11 beers. Just a joke. Thank you corprate America...kiss my ass. I'm surprised I wasn't charged a fee to use the frigging bathroom.Damn.

Good review.

I can probably understand why the crowd was a little lifeless, not because of the show, but because of the heat you described. It was kind of that way in Dallas in 07 -- just muggy and energy zapping.

Glad you enjoyed the show. I had a great time at this one, too, and you have the same observation about the first set as many of us.

Oh, and you can blame Rush for the merch prices. They control that.

Oldphilly-nice review. The songs, the playing, techinical, crowd, atmosphere. all included

I wasn't impressed with the setlist when I first saw it, but its amazing how much better some of those songs sound live. Blown away.

Definitely the most mistakes i've heard from them in 15 shows, but considering the heat and complexity of the music and length of the show i think they did great. And Geddy really did seem to be on fire (maybe literally if it got any hotter).

The crowd was almost lifeless. Had 3rd row (actually second row since first row only goes about half way). The people in front of me stood against the wall, but barely moved the entire night. Almost seemed if they were bored. Got a little more life during the first half of the second set, but definitely the most dead crowd i have seen at any RUSH show. Since Geddy and Alex seem to enjoy a good crowd, I feel bad for them working so hard. Think a lot of the crowd was just there to see the second set.

Props to you oldphilly, geo and all the others who didn't let the heat, setlest etc. get you down and rocked out. The highlight for me was when Geddy started playing 2112. The crowd was dead around me. He looked right at me as I pulled my hair out of a ponytail and started really rocking out and gave me a nod and smile. I think because I was the only one in the area doing anything!

Hope to see y'all again at Allentown and PNC. Here's top lower temperatures, more life in the crowd, and RUSH doing what they always do...knock our socks off.

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jul 22 2010, 10:07 PM)
FYI - Venues typically take 50% of merch revenue, so half of that $40 for a shirt is gone, as far as the band is concerned. Not that they couldn't still bring the price down a bit...

The shirts are also $40 at the Rush backstage club, sao they aren't jacked up just to cover the venue's take.

Do you have a link or source for that? I'm just curious, because 50 percent sounds like an awfully high figure for a venue to receive on licensed merchandise.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 23 2010, 10:11 AM)
QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jul 22 2010, 10:07 PM)
FYI - Venues typically take 50% of merch revenue, so half of that $40 for a shirt is gone, as far as the band is concerned.  Not that they couldn't still bring the price down a bit...

The shirts are also $40 at the Rush backstage club, sao they aren't jacked up just to cover the venue's take.

Do you have a link or source for that? I'm just curious, because 50 percent sounds like an awfully high figure for a venue to receive on licensed merchandise.

All I have is anecdotal evidence from several bands, and one experience opening for a fairly large touring band. Their merch guys told us to lie about the # of shirts & cds we sold, because the venue takes a 50% cut.