Favorite Bass Songs

karkarius

This is the thread for me. biggrin.gif I find myself primarily listening to the bass when I listen to any Rush. In nearly every song, Geddy simply blows everything else out of the water with an outstanding bassline.

I think the best one of all is YYZ. Hearing that bassline is what opened my eyes to the brilliance of Geddy's playing and of the bass overall, as an instrument. It has made me want to learn to play. More importantly, it led me to realize that the bass wasn't just a background instrument that never came to the forefront in any meaningful way. Not only could it be noticeable, it could lead! And it could be awesome! Realizing that those short solos taking place when everything else stopped were not done by the guitar, but by the bass, changed my life.

Some of my other favorites:

Hemispheres (the bass in the prelude is stunning)

La Villa Strangiato

Malignant Narcissism

Leave That Thing Alone

Anthem

Freewill

Fly By Night (very underrated, excellent bassline)

The Trees

and so many more I could list...

I'm definitely not a bass player, but I've always thought the entire Power Windows album was fantastic...absolutely my favorite bass album.

I was listening to an often-forgotten tune from that album yesterday - Emotion Detector - listen to what he's doing during Alex's solo. I hadn't heard it in so long, I had to rewind it and listen again...great stuff.

Marathon. Grand Designs, Territories...also excellent.

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Jul 20 2010, 05:45 PM)
I'm definitely not a bass player, but I've always thought the entire Power Windows album was fantastic...absolutely my favorite bass album.

I was listening to an often-forgotten tune from that album yesterday - Emotion Detector - listen to what he's doing during Alex's solo. I hadn't heard it in so long, I had to rewind it and listen again...great stuff.

Marathon. Grand Designs, Territories...also excellent.

And I thought I was the only one who recognized the genious that is Emotion Detector! The bass during Al's solo (one of his finest, I must say), is out of this world. He tears it up, while complimenting what Alex is doing. Literaly one of my favorite Rush moments.

My favorites in terms of bass tone:

Cygnus X-1 (both books)

Circumstances

YYZ

The Entire Signals Album

Playing:

Hemispheres

Best I Can

All of Caress Of Steel

All of Power Windows

ALL OF IT!

He's so gooooooood. ohmy.gif

Can I just say everything? Geddy has done so many amazing things with the bass that it's tough to pick. Some of my favorites are:

Hemispheres

Marathon

YYZ

Leave That Thing Alone

La Villa Strangiato

Freewill

Vital Signs

Digital Man

New World Man

Where's My Thing?

GeddyFinal.gif

I'm still missing many others. Looks like next time I listen to them i'm gonna pay more attention to the bass than I normally do biggrin.gif

I was just thinking about what my favorite bass song was per album the other day.

Working Man

By-tor

Bastille Day

Lessons

Cygnus x-1

The Trees

Nat Sci / Freewill

TCE / YYZ / Red Barchetta

The Analog Kid

Distant Early Warning / Red Sector A

The Big Money

as for HYF, I can't choose... Yet.

Superconductor / Hand over Fist

Neurotica

Cut to the Chase

Virtuality / Dog Years

Can't choose for VT yet either

S&A is a hard pick just like VT & HYF

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jul 20 2010, 05:39 PM)
This is the thread for me.  biggrin.gif  I find myself primarily listening to the bass when I listen to any Rush. In nearly every song, Geddy simply blows everything else out of the water with an outstanding bassline.

I think the best one of all is YYZ. Hearing that bassline is what opened my eyes to the brilliance of Geddy's playing and of the bass overall, as an instrument. It has made me want to learn to play. More importantly, it led me to realize that the bass wasn't just a background instrument that never came to the forefront in any meaningful way. Not only could it be noticeable, it could lead! And it could be awesome! Realizing that those short solos taking place when everything else stopped were not done by the guitar, but by the bass, changed my life.

Some of my other favorites:

Hemispheres (the bass in the prelude is stunning)
La Villa Strangiato
Malignant Narcissism
Leave That Thing Alone
Anthem
Freewill
Fly By Night (very underrated, excellent bassline)
The Trees

and so many more I could list...

I agree with you. (the other favorites part) The entire Hemispheres album belongs to Geddy. La Villa is an unsung masterpiece. Alex takes the lead but Ged steals the show.

HW

Just a couple off the top of my head:

-New World Man from Philly (04/16/86 - sorry...no YouTube link)

-The end of Leave That Thing Alone - while I prefer the Rio version, I couldn't find a version with audio on Youtube, so here's the Atlanta version; the good part begins at about 4:20:

-Closer to the Heart - start here at about 2:55:

-The ESL medley. Listen to the genius work on By Tor at ~0:50 and then the brilliant work between ~7:28 and 7:34: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kse01ftDAU0

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure more will come to me.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 20 2010, 11:41 PM)
QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jul 20 2010, 08:39 PM)
Turn The Page already!

overrated tongue.gif

bassline, that is.

Disagree. When I learn to play that bassline and sing at the same time, I'll know I've made it.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jul 20 2010, 08:45 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 20 2010, 11:41 PM)
QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jul 20 2010, 08:39 PM)
Turn The Page already!

overrated tongue.gif

bassline, that is.

Disagree. When I learn to play that bassline and sing at the same time, I'll know I've made it.

Right, it's a complex song and all, and I don't play bass, but I'd imagine there's other tough bass lines Geddy plays while singing. It can't be so much more challenging than all other Rush songs.

Archived