Mohegan last Night

cgfcgf

First. Had a great time. Went with my 11 year old (his 3rd tour). Great Setlist. Some songs I didn't like but that happens at every single show of every single artist I go to.

Now for the rant - I sat in Section 16 Row K (look at seating chart if unfamiliar). I was swamped with loud low end. It drowned out the guitar player. I could hear drum clarity here and there. These seats are not too close and not too far. The sound should have been loud but clear.

Isn't the bass going through house sound? I could understand if there was a stack of bass amps on that side of the stage but there isn't.

These guys are at 60 years of age, play incredibly and still write powerful music. I would like to hear them playing. I couldn't discerne many guitar or bass passages.

I don't mind loud but can't it be clearer? It was all awash in loudness.

I can't imagine my wife (who went in 04 with me) understanding the song when it is loud and muddy. At least my son and I know the songs well enough to figure it out. But the ones he didn't know forget it. he doesn't have a chance to actually hear the song.

They're not lip synching and they actually play their instruments. If they can't clear it up then turn it down.

If I mixed my band shows that way I don't think we'd get invited back (or maybe we wouldn't have anyways because of other...).

I am an audio engineer who's mixed bands live for over 20 years. There are several possible reasons for why the sound was bad/bassy where you were.

1. Poorly designed venue with acoustical issues.

Could be that this sound problem was limited to the section you were sitting in, and in fact could even be isolated to a couple of rows in your section. Hell I've been in venues where the sound is dramatically different whehter you are standing up or sitting down. It is hard for a mixer to account for all the acoustic anamolies that might exist in a venue, especially in a venue of that size. Even still, I typically walk around a bit during sound check to different areas of the venue to make sure that the sound heard in off-axis areas of the arena is not dramatically different than what I am hearing at the mixing console. If it is different, I will try to compensate. there are a number of ways to do this....

In the future, try walking down near the mixing console and see if the sound is different there. This will tell you whether it's an acoustical problem.

2. The engineer had a bad night. It happens, even to the best. Either his ears failed him, which can happen from time to time, or maybe he was sick. Mixing well when sick is impossible because your ears are blocked and are not hearing correctly.

they want to PUMP....you UP!!!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sRKb5JoDcHw/SXDAbCppj5I/AAAAAAAAC0k/ftF7lBK1Y4w/s320/hans_franz-2.jpg

I noticed that when I saw them indoors at the Nokia in '08. It was simply too loud. I think they are used to cranking it up for the outdoor venues and they dont compensate when they get inside. who knows.

I really didn't get that. I was in section 21, straight back. I thought it was one of the clearest concerts I've ever heard. Occasionally, it would get a little muddy, but for the most part, I thought it was great.

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jul 20 2010, 11:46 AM)
I really didn't get that. I was in section 21, straight back. I thought it was one of the clearest concerts I've ever heard. Occasionally, it would get a little muddy, but for the most part, I thought it was great.

agreed. this was the best sounding rush show i've been to. the sound was amazing from my seats. crystal clear. i was really impressed.

The bar has been set so high by this band - especially on the last few tours....

Second half was a much better show than the 1st set.

Sound was very muddy - center floor 9 rows back. Crowd was fairly passive.

QUOTE (sportzfan76 @ Jul 20 2010, 03:56 PM)
The bar has been set so high by this band - especially on the last few tours....

Second half was a much better show than the 1st set. 
Sound was very muddy - center floor 9 rows back. Crowd was fairly passive.

Not in the upper deck. We were going crazy. I was in Section 109 and we were losing it.

Edited by mong82191

I was in section 24, and I thought most of the show sounded muddy. The bass and most low end, was very moving...I kept thinking my Blackberry was going off because my pocket kept vibrating from the sound.

From the widely varying experience of several people at the show, it seems more an acoustical issue than a band issue.

My concert rule of thumb has always been, if the bass drum isn't interrupting your heart beat, either they're not loud enough or you're not close enough tongue.gif cool.gif

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay

Section 15 Row J and while I think the low end was quite present, but it was not overwhelming and quite frankly I like a little rumble in my stomach at a concert smile.gif

Sound was awesome for me - I heard everything Alex played pretty clearly.

QUOTE (cgfcgf @ Jul 20 2010, 12:08 PM)
I sat in Section 16 Row K (look at seating chart if unfamiliar). I was swamped with loud low end. It drowned out the guitar player. I could hear drum clarity here and there. These seats are not too close and not too far. The sound should have been loud but clear.

Isn't the bass going through house sound? I could understand if there was a stack of bass amps on that side of the stage but there isn't.

These guys are at 60 years of age, play incredibly and still write powerful music. I would like to hear them playing. I couldn't discerne many guitar or bass passages.

I don't mind loud but can't it be clearer? It was all awash in loudness.

I can't imagine my wife (who went in 04 with me) understanding the song when it is loud and muddy. At least my son and I know the songs well enough to figure it out. But the ones he didn't know forget it. he doesn't have a chance to actually hear the song.

They're not lip synching and they actually play their instruments. If they can't clear it up then turn it down.

If I mixed my band shows that way I don't think we'd get invited back (or maybe we wouldn't have anyways because of other...).

I noticed, while heading for the bathroom, mid-set(I hate when that happens) section 15 tends to get a bit muddy from the middle rows and back. I think it may have something to do with the above balcony. LowEnd likes to bounce around under there.

Sections 16, 24 & 25 have the same design so that may be the problem. (IMO)

We sat in sec 15 row G and it sounded AWESOME. Second set got a little muddy toward the end of the set, but not enough to complain about.

Mohegan Arena is one of our favorite venues for sound.

My advice: Next time @ Mohegan if your stuck with sec 15, 16, 24 or 25. Try to get seats within the 1st eight rows. (I know, easier said then done)

Tortoise 1287.gif

Thanks for confirming sound issues and also countering with good sounding seats. I bought them the day of the show and Mohegan is a tough ticket to get becuase of the smaller sized venue so I really couldn't pick and choose. next time I will hold out for Section 15 or 25 (I saw Sting 2 weeks ago from Section 15 but it was with an orchestra so the sound wasn't jacked to begin with).

Hope everyone had a good time.

On to SPAC where I have heard it's a lot of reflective concrete. I need to see the drummer this show though so we will be sitting Stage Right. I still haven't bought tickets for that one either yet. I may be at the whims of what's available.