Let's Face It ... The First Set Sucks

I must be the only one in this thread who agrees with the original poster. And I haven't smoked or drank one thing.....

It's that first set that has me hesitant to go to this show, but I probably will anyway.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (duntov1966 @ Jul 20 2010, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer23 @ Jul 20 2010, 03:14 AM)
Saw both Toronto shows.  Was really drunk for the Amphitheatre Show, but really wondered why the next day I couldn't remember anything for the show except Time Stand Still. 

PS What happened to Jacob's Ladder?  Was really looking forward to that one!

Please stop this complianing crap angry.gif

In a couple of years when they stop touring then you can be dissapointed.

no, no, no, he will not be dissapointed- the necormancer- and all of his other whiny girlfriends(farcyoverspilledmilk and the god of balance for example) will rejoice when rush hangs it up:... "thank god we don';t have to listen to those crappy setlists and hear all those mistakes live anymore. Now we can only focus on hearing really good bands who never make mistakes and play only MY favorite songs live..." rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 21 2010, 05:59 AM)
I must be the only one in this thread who agrees with the original poster.  And I haven't smoked or drank one thing.....

It's that first set that has me hesitant to go to this show, but I probably will anyway.

please don't go. your negative energy will only bring down the energy of the venue that night. stay home and whack off to your favorite songs @ home.

OR, wait, wait: smoke and drink something, then don't go!! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 20 2010, 11:45 PM)
QUOTE (tel @ Jul 20 2010, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Jul 20 2010, 05:32 AM)
I am confident that will see a more interesting set list after the completion of the Clockwork Angels.

Hope they bring back Armor and Sword...

why ?,its the worst song they ever recorded

Anagram? Need Some Love? Best I Can?

Those seem more like candidates for "worst song they ever recorded".

people should really stop saying shit like this. essentially your saying that the entire lindsay lohan album is better than those 3 or 4 rush songs. wtf.gif

like that chick "the god of balance" said: 'caress is the worst album ever recorded'...so he hold the paris hilton album and numerous oakridge boys cd's higher than the album that gave us bastille day and the fountain of lamneth...nice! reeeeaal bright!!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 20 2010, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (analog guy @ Jul 20 2010, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 20 2010, 01:01 PM)

Maybe it's different up in Canada, but in the U.S. "Freewill" is almost never heard on the radio.

I have probably heard Freewill played more than any other Rush song on US radio. Even more than Tom Sawyer. Must be a regional thing.

I hear Limelight too much as well, to a point where I don't get all that excited about it anymore.

I suppose that is the reason for a lot of the setlist angst you see going on here.... any classic rock station in the middle third of the country plays a good chunk of this setlist every day.

I'll buy the regional thing. Here in the northeast, we hear the big four on the radio -- "TSOR," "TS," "CTTH" and "Limelight" -- and rarely anything else.

what about fly by night as well? we hear that one in the rock n roll capital all the time.

Can the first set be better ? Yes . Does it suck ? No it does not

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 21 2010, 07:43 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 20 2010, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (analog guy @ Jul 20 2010, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 20 2010, 01:01 PM)

Maybe it's different up in Canada, but in the U.S. "Freewill" is almost never heard on the radio.

I have probably heard Freewill played more than any other Rush song on US radio. Even more than Tom Sawyer. Must be a regional thing.

I hear Limelight too much as well, to a point where I don't get all that excited about it anymore.

I suppose that is the reason for a lot of the setlist angst you see going on here.... any classic rock station in the middle third of the country plays a good chunk of this setlist every day.

I'll buy the regional thing. Here in the northeast, we hear the big four on the radio -- "TSOR," "TS," "CTTH" and "Limelight" -- and rarely anything else.

what about fly by night as well? we hear that one in the rock n roll capital all the time.

Yeah, that one could be added to that list. I hear it played here pretty often here.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 21 2010, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 21 2010, 07:32 AM)
stay home and whack off to your favorite songs @ home.

Newsflash: Just because this is your custom doesn't mean it's everyone else's.

nope, just you and that other a-hole necromancer.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 21 2010, 11:49 AM)

no.gif

Beat it, zit boy.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 21 2010, 08:37 AM)
Can the first set be better ? Yes . Does it suck ? No it does not

Exactly....with a catalog this big they can't appease everybody. It's too bad some of these debutantes can't figure that out trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 21 2010, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 21 2010, 11:49 AM)

no.gif

Beat it, zit boy.

is that your favorite michael jackson song? or what you do when your mom is at work...she didn't mind my skin so much.

I must be the only one in this thread who agrees with the original poster. And I haven't smoked or drank one thing.....

I'll go as far as to say there's little I'm excited about in Set One and much I'm excited about in Set Two... but I can't say the first set "sucks" and it's certainly not going to keep me home.

THE SPIRIT OF RADIO - awesome.

TIME STAND STILL - awesome. haven't heard it live in years.

PRESTO - very awesome.

STICK IT OUT - meh.

WORKIN' THEM ANGELS - meh. but okay.

LEAVE THAT THING ALONE - right on.

FAITHLESS - awesome.

BU2B - awesome.

FREE WILL - overplayed, but still awesome.

MARATHON - very awesome.

SUBDIVISIONS - yep, awesome.

Two or three songs I'm not super excited about, but still a great set.

TOM SAWYER - no. overplayed. if i never hear it again, that would be great.

RED BARCHETTA - cool.

YYZ - sure.

LIMELIGHT - okay.

CAMERA EYE - awesome.

WITCH HUNT - good.

VITAL SIGNS - good.

CARAVAN - awesome.

LOVE 4 SALE - always awesome.

CLOSER TO THE HEART - awesome.

2112 OVERTURE / TEMPLES - never gets old for some reason.

FAR CRY - awesome.

ENCORE

LA VILLA STRANGIATO - awesome.

WORKING MAN - meh.

In sharp contrast to the OP, I'm actually more excited about the first set than the second set. I wouldn't say either one sucks, but Moving Pictures has too many songs that have been played to death for me to get excited about it on the whole.

Edited by danielmclark

Saw both Toronto shows. Was really drunk for the Amphitheatre Show, but really wondered why the next day I couldn't remember anything for the show except Time Stand Still. I was more sober for the 2nd show but I realized then why I didn't remember most of the first show - the first set is totally forgettable.

This was my 8th tour and (aside from the Moving Pictures set) for me this was the only tour where a large portion of the show's set list was quite noticeably sub par.

Let's review:

- The Spirit of Radio - with concerts, I love surprises. I don't want to know anything about a concert before I go to it! I love the thrill of hearing a totally unexpected old classic and then getting right into the groove (Digital Man was like that for me on the last tour).

Spirit Of Radio is such an obvious, hackneyed opener. Playing this first is totally blowing your wad in the first 30 seconds. It's opened their shows before, and there was no surprise at all here, considering that unfunny, overlong intro film alluded to it so heavily.

(BTW: best concert intro ever - the Thus Spake Zarathustra 2001-ish intro on the Counterparts tour. Spectacular start to a show for a great album!)

- Time Stand Still - aRgH! Hold Your Fire would be an unblemished masterpiece were it not for this turkey and Mission, yet we've had to endure BOTH songs on the past 2 tours. Whereas total masterpieces from HYF like Second Nature and High Water have NEVER been played live EVER!

- Presto - the one shining star in the pre-intermission first set. Although I wish Alex had been swapping between the Ovation acoustic and the electric guitar as he did in Closer To The Heart during ASOH instead of playing faux acoustic on his electric. I think it would have sounded quite a bit better.

Stick It Out - I know where they should stick this one...

Workin' Them Angels - of all the songs you could play ... on a retrospective tour ... and they chose THIS????? This song just plain sucks. Can anyone tell really tell me they're still listening to S&A with any regularity since it came out??

Leave That Thing Alone - I wish they HAD left it alone. For me, the least interesting Rush instrumental ever.

Faithless - exactly how I was feeling at this point in the show

BU2B - not bad - but again .... of all the songs you COULD play .... ???????

Freewill - way too overplayed on too many tours (plus overplayed on the radio)!

Marathon - very nice to hear again - but what about all these other gems from PW very few of us have ever heard live? Such as Grand Designs or Middletown Dreams ... if they had done Emotion Detector I would have gone into orbit!

Subdivisions - way too overplayed on too many tours!

The thing that really disappointed me about this show was how many albums were not represented at all in the entire show, and yet this is a "Time Machine tour" where we're hearing 3 songs from S&A and 2 new singles! That's a full 20% of the entire concert from the 2 newest studio albums of 20 studio albums total!

Yet ZERO songs from GUP, TFE or RTB, only tired old Subdivisions from Signals, and only tired old Closer To the Heart from AFTK (even the band said they stopped playing it because they got "sick of it"),

We can all argue endlessly about what they should or shouldn't play, and to each his own, but I think I can say one thing for sure: not much imagination went into the song choices. There are SO many songs little or never played live from all previous albums, most any of which would have (if nothing else) piqued my interest for being novel due to being played and heard live for the first time. That's the sort of thing that's sustained my interest at Rush shows over the years - Circumstances did that especially on the last tour. To me, that's a real trip down memory lane - THAT is a time machine.

PS What happened to Jacob's Ladder? Was really looking forward to that one!

Wow. Do you even like Rush?

I must be the only one in this thread who agrees with the original poster.  And I haven't smoked or drank one thing.....

.....hesitant to go to this show.... ????

Wow!...That statement just screams....'I need attention. Look at me, look what I said'

While the first set doesn't please everyone, to say you're "hesitant to go" and "probably will anyway" because perhaps you dislike a handful of songs seem to be meant to rile-up the faithful and not your true sentiments.

It worked.

The first set has some classic RUSH tunes, which I'm sure you'll agree.

If you don't like the first set and it 'might' make you miss the show, I think you should subdue your 'hesitancy to go' by just showing up late for the 2nd set.

Why should you sit through a RUSH set you don't like? You shouldn't do that to yourself.

Enjoy the show....well half the show anyway.

Saw both Toronto shows. Was really drunk.......

- Time Stand Still - aRgH! Hold Your Fire would be an...... unblemished masterpiece........ were it not for this turkey and Mission.............

Woah! ohmy.gif

I thought you were so drunk you thought you saw that "masterpiece", "Tai Shan" live in Toronto.

trink39.gif

Trolls do liven things up eh?

Anyhow, we can all bitch about what we do or don't want the band to play, but its useless. Either go or don't go, but if you do go TWICE, your a moron if you think half the show sucks. What a waste. I will continue to repeat... at least Rush is still going strong and not retired.

and with 3 hours of music, even if you hate half of it, you still get an hour and a half of stuff you love.

atickhum.gif

Edited by tick