am I the only one?

aliceintool

I've noticed that whenever I go to a concert, I don't listen anything by that band from the day before until the concert. It's probably just me fearing that maybe I'll just get out of the mood for that certain band come concert time. but yeah that's what I do and I am doing that currently for the Rush concert tomorrow. am I the only one?

You're not the only one. And I don't listen to it in the lot or on the way home afterward. I will however have the local radio station that is sponsoring the show and listen to their deep cuts and songs that gear up for the show (as background music at work).

I won't listen to anything from Rush about a week before the show. Especially anything I know is on the setlist.

Just makes it fresher for me during the actual show.

So no...you are not the only one that does that. trink39.gif

I go on a Rush binge a day or so before the show. And since this is a new decade with new music, I'm playing all their albums in order since I've been alive.

QUOTE (mong82191 @ Jul 18 2010, 05:57 PM)
I go on a Rush binge a day or so before the show. And since this is a new decade with new music, I'm playing all their albums in order since I've been alive.

This is similar to what I do. A week before the show, I listen to as much as I can, in particular listening to EVERY album in order since the band's inception. Even though I know, they're not playing 85% of their catalog on the setlist, it gets me pumped for the show.

However, I do NOT listen to it on the day of... before, during the commute, and after the show. If I do listen to anything after the show, it's a different band, because 've had my fill of Rush for the moment.

I haven't listened to anything from MP since it was announced that they're playing it in it's entirety, and I plan on not listening to MP at all until I hear it at the show. But yesterday I cheated a bit because I listened to the first half of Red Barchetta.

I will listen to the band up to the day of the show. But about a week before that I won't listen to anything that's in the setlist if I know what the set is gonna be. That way I don't spoil the songs by hearing them too much leading up to the show.

What I never got is when people are tailgating in the parking lot before a show, they'll listen to something they know Rush will be doing. You'll hear TSOR or TS blasting out somewhere and I always think to myself "how are you gonna be excited for a song at the show that you just heard and hour or two ago when you were parting in the parking lot?"

Maybe that's just me though wacko.gif

I don't do that as a spectator for concerts but I stay away from music altogether the day I have to play a show. It's like cleansing the Palate. Makes it much more fun, too. biggrin.gif

Is that what your'e sayin?

I really ease up a few weeks before the show. Maybe listen to one album the day of. And it is usually one they are not covering too much of.

When I road trip up to Tampa and other cities in Florida I play plenty of other bands like Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Queensryche, Black Crowes..etc.

I want the show to be fresh.

For Rush, I do listen up to the show. Other bands, not as much but mainly because they don't have the catalog Rush can pull from. I can listed to a LOT of Rush before the show and not hear much of what the setlist is comprised of.

No Rush on the day of the show for me...until I get to the show and everyone has their trunks open pitting Fly By Night against Hold Your Fire.

I listen to Rush pretty much everyday. No Rush on the way to the show or on the ride home though. After that I listen to the first live Rush album I grab from my collection.

I too go on a self-imposed Rush fast prior to a show. Usually I start about 2 weeks out.

2008 was the first Rush show I've attended with my husband. We pulled out of the driveway and he loaded up none other than "Snakes & Arrows Live".

I frantically punched the "eject" button and shrieked "WTF are you doing?!?!?!? No Rush before a Rush show! Especially not THAT Rush, now!" He thought I was batshit nuts. laugh.gif

I listen and play (I'm a guitarist) Rush songs probably to the point of annoyance, for my family at least, in the weeks leading up to a Rush show I'm attending.

I'll listen to an album or two from their catalog (in no particular order) completely through each day and jam to a few songs each night (I tend to play for an hour prior to settling down for the night) for the few weeks before the night I'm seeing them.

PS - I have my headphones on listening to "Hemispheres" as I type this message.

"I bring truth and understanding,

I bring wit and wisdom fair,

Precious gifts beyond compare.

We can build a world of wonder,

I can make you all aware.

I will find you food and shelter,

Show you fire to keep you warm

Through the endless winter storm.

You can live in grace and comfort

In the world that you transform."

Ten hours and fifteen minutes till they hit the stage at Mohegan Sun!!!! 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I usually listen to something like Behemoth, OMC, or Vader to cleanse my auditory palate before the show. 1022.gif

NO RUSH on the day of the show, and very little (or none) the day before.

As for right after the show, on the ride home, it depends on mood. If you want more Rush after 2.5 hours of it, go for it.

I too go on a self-imposed Rush fast prior to a show. Usually I start about 2 weeks out.

No Rush for two weeks prior to the show? Mara, that's extreme! But you must be starving for them when they hit the stage, eh?

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Jul 18 2010, 03:50 PM)
I won't listen to anything from Rush about a week before the show. Especially anything I know is on the setlist.
Just makes it fresher for me during the actual show.
So no...you are not the only one that does that. trink39.gif

yes.gif

Same here.

It's a good break, to build the anticipation.

By the week is up I REALLY wanna hear those songs (or whichever ones they decide to play live). smile.gif

No...you are not the only one.

I've done it from time-to-time, and I know for sure that my uncle does that every tour.

With that said...I was fortunate to attend RushCon this past Saturday, so needless to say, it was hard to stay away from the Rush as it was everywhere! LOL...still...well worth it! 1022.gif

I was inspired to do something after reading this thread last night. What I decided to do was make two Rush playlists on my iPod of songs that they're not playing this tour. It allows me to listen to them up until when I see them on Friday without spoiling any of the songs they'll be playing that night. So I still get my Rush fix in leading up to the show and then when the shows starts the set is "fresh" in a way for me.