Rush Documentary on VH1

rushgoober

How many showings did the Rush documentary get on VH1 / VH1 Classic? One? Two? Is that it?

If that is it, I gotta say that I'm pretty disappointed.

Unless the documentary was made primarily for hardcore Rush fans, then so far it seems the purpose of the documentary has failed.

As far as I can tell, the purpose of the doc was to get new people who aren't already hardcore fans exposed to Rush so they can enjoy this band we've been enjoying for so long. That requires it getting out there to the public.

So far there were a couple of premiers at theaters and one day or so of it showing in a few dozen cities. Then there was 1 or 2 showings on VH1.

I have to imagine that the audience for all of that was made up primarily of the hardcore fans and whomever they could drag along to watch it, but what about everyone else? For others to see it, it's gotta be shown a lot more. Any chance it will be?

I don't know about you, but while I'm glad I got to see it, what I really care about is getting non-Rush fans to see it. It's all about getting them exposure and respect, and getting others to share in the greatness that is Rush, but you can't get that if no one can see it. Otherwise it's just preaching to the converted.

Just IMHO...

The VH1 showing was basically advertising the Blu-ray/DVD.

It will be on VH1 again at some point.

Also, I think the documentary pretty much accomplished what it set out to do. You have to remember, a Rush documentary appeals to a small demographic. I think Beyond the Lighted Stage did a pretty good job of exposing Rush beyond their demographic.

I think the purpose of the doc was to chronicle the history of Rush. To tell their story. Anything else is gravy. It told their story very well. It showed in far more theatres than most docs do. It aired nation wide, and is now available for purchase. I think it's done remarkably well.

Your obsession with getting everyone to like Rush will inevitably lead to disappointment.

Plus lots of people myself included have DVRs so will always be able to watch it.

That would mean the responsibility lies with us hardcores to get the word out. yes.gif

We'll just have to force those we love to sit and watch with us. Even if doing so requires forcible restraint with heavy rope and/or duct tape. Or have ambush viewings - you know, invite people to your house for a cookout and spring Beyond The Lighted Stage on them once they've had a couple of alcoholic beverages.

Sneak into their homes and replace every DVD they own with a copy of BTLS. They'll think they're settling in for a Will Farrell movie, and SURPRISE!

It might be costly. It might make your loved ones hate you a bit for a little while. But it will be worth it.

Do it. DO it for 2.gif . Do it for music.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 18 2010, 10:58 AM)
That would mean the responsibility lies with us hardcores to get the word out. yes.gif
We'll just have to force those we love to sit and watch with us. Even if doing so requires forcible restraint with heavy rope and/or duct tape. Or have ambush viewings - you know, invite people to your house for a cookout and spring Beyond The Lighted Stage on them once they've had a couple of alcoholic beverages.
Sneak into their homes and replace every DVD they own with a copy of BTLS. They'll think they're settling in for a Will Farrell movie, and SURPRISE!

It might be costly. It might make your loved ones hate you a bit for a little while. But it will be worth it.

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 18 2010, 10:58 AM)

With great power comes great responsibility

To add to this...

Did they ever actually air the classic albums episode of them??? It kept saying it was going to be on but never was! Well, i never caught it, and i tried to dvr it 3 times!

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jul 18 2010, 11:28 AM)
To add to this...

Did they ever actually air the classic albums episode of them??? It kept saying it was going to be on but never was! Well, i never caught it, and i tried to dvr it 3 times!

I heard the release date was changed to sometime in September.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jul 18 2010, 11:28 AM)
To add to this...

No some idiot at VH1 screwed up the schedule so it was all just a big mistake.

VH1 Classic is doing with the Rush doc the same thing they did with the Iron Maiden doc. They showed it the weekend before it hit the stores. Then they drop it for a bit. The Maiden doc is on once a month now, they will do the same thing with Rush.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 18 2010, 01:10 PM)
VH1 Classic is doing with the Rush doc the same thing they did with the Iron Maiden doc. They showed it the weekend before it hit the stores. Then they drop it for a bit. The Maiden doc is on once a month now, they will do the same thing with Rush.

Also look for it on Palladia channel. I saw it on Palladia in HiDef the weekend before it was released on Blu-ray and DVD.

QUOTE (rush22112 @ Jul 18 2010, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 18 2010, 01:10 PM)

Also look for it on Palladia channel. I saw it on Palladia in HiDef the weekend it was released on Blu-ray and DVD.

It's funny, i always forget about that channel . I have only had it since dec so that might be the reason laugh.gif

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 18 2010, 08:58 AM)
Your obsession with getting everyone to like Rush will inevitably lead to disappointment.

Obviously not everyone will. I just want them to get a tiny bit more of the exposure they deserve. As it was so eloquently stated in the documentary - one of the best rock groups of all time that has been incredibly marginalized and doesn't get anything close to the credit they deserve.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 18 2010, 10:10 AM)

That'd be cool. I'd still like the see the Iron Maiden doc, but I've yet to come across it.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 18 2010, 08:58 AM)

In all seriousness though, I did have my wife watch it with me, which wasn't too hard since for some reason she really loves me. tongue.gif

It left her with a lot more respect and appreciation for the band. In terms of the rest of my family, who I don't see too often, the people in my family who already love Rush (and yes, there are some) would of course jump at the chance of seeing it, and the others would be far more reluctant, and I'm not about to get out the ropes. wink.gif

If it's just on tv a good bit, people will stumble across it, and that's where the new fans will come from. As it stands, I'm sure Rock Band and I Love You, Man have done more for getting Rush's music out there than the documentary has.

I don't know, Goob, but if I fronted the cash for that production and was counting on future dvd-br sales to get my money back I sure as hell wouldn't wanna see it aired on vh1 24/7, would you?? confused13.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jul 18 2010, 11:15 AM)
I don't know, Goob, but if I fronted the cash for that production and was counting on future dvd-br sales to get my money back I sure as hell wouldn't wanna see it aired on vh1 24/7, would you?? confused13.gif

Got me. Maybe they make money from it being shown on VH1, I have no idea. I would imagine that after the first month or so most of the sales would be done anyway as that would get the hardcore fans. Wouldn't it be just like when a comic book movie comes out and all the existing fans of the comic book see it in the first week or two and then sales dwindle unless there's great reviews or word of mouth?

And regardless, they could still advertise the DVD during the showing like they did before - all the extra features, etc. would still entice some people. At this point though, I don't think they're going to get a ton more sales from non-Rush fans unless they are able to see it.

And also, it seems like the guys who made it weren't just in it for the money or they'd have picked a more well loved group than Rush. It sure seems they want to give some love to one of their favorite bands and get the word out - the doc seems to be about that to me.

QUOTE (The_Enemy_Within @ Jul 18 2010, 02:08 PM)
When exactly is the DVD to be released? Ordered it...

Haven't seen this documentary yet. sad.gif

it has been out for almost a month now. DVD and Blu-Ray!

Woot. I got mine on Blu-Ray

I understand what you're trying to do goober, but they played the *hell* out of the documentary. I DVR'ed the first showing of it just to have it until I buy the DVD, and for two weeks it was on VH1 Classic at least four or five times a week until recently. They did the exact same thing with Flight 666.

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Jul 18 2010, 04:42 PM)
I understand what you're trying to do goober, but they played the *hell* out of the documentary. I DVR'ed the first showing of it just to have it until I buy the DVD, and for two weeks it was on VH1 Classic at least four or five times a week until recently. They did the exact same thing with Flight 666.

was it really on that often? i had no idea - i thought they only played it once or twice - my bad - very cool that they showed it that much and i hope they show it more ongoing!

Archived