Rush on SNL

losingit2k

I was watching SNL tonight and it occurred to me that Rush has never been a guess band on SNL. Then I was thinking if they would it might be one of the biggest watch show in their history! They've had Aerosmith, U2 and I'm currently watching Dave Mathews Band. Come On Rush would blow all these guys away!

Any Thoughts?

confused13.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Screw performing, let them host the whole show

I say Rush should get their own one time TV Special! I mean look at the concert videos! Especially this tours. Could you imagine a Rush Christmas special!? Seems like the guys in the band are so whacky they could pull it off! Just the thought of the entire band getting visited by Santa and opening up their presents would be hilarious....

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jul 17 2010, 11:26 PM)
Rush has talent.. so why would they bother with the useless trash masquerading as comedians on SNL?

Cause they have something the crap SNL guys don't, COMEDIC TALENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think having them in some sketches is a great idea, because this last season at least was very good. Rush would be great to have on the show, both because I'm sure they'd do well at delivering their lines, and honestly, the band is easy to make fun of with all the criticism out there. It would be a good chance to show what they really think about it. If they had any input on the scripts, anyway. That would be great if they performed, too, but I'm sure they'd play Tom Sawyer, which is cool, but not much of a reason to catch the show if that's all they did.

It would certainly spike the ratings for SNL, which I believe are usually fairly lame!

I'd be good with it. It'd be especially fun if they (okay, Geddy and Alex, especially Alex) participated in a skit or two. Alex has natural comedic timing. But the scripts these SNL writers come up with nowadays. . . ai-yi-yi, but they are cringe-inducing.

If they let Rush host, and let them be themselves without a lot of lame restraints, it could make for a terrific night for sure. After nearly forty years together, they play off of each other quite well. No need for a script at all.

Realistically, though, it won't happen. Despite all of the publicity of late, Rush is still perceived as a "nerd-niche" band. They might get a guest gig to perform, but never to host.

Oh, and Christmas specials are almost always about fifty different flavors of lame. Even with Rush it would be, at best, not right.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 17 2010, 11:24 PM)
Before they did Colbert, I would have said no way in hell. Now? Why not?

yes.gif I agree. And isn't it funny that within the past two years we now think anything's possible for them in terms of mainstream exposure and what they'll agree to? Things are different now then they were two years ago. As Les Claypool said in the documentary, "It's like they're more popular now than they ever were!"

I've seen an interview on MuchMusic where Geddy said they've been asked to do shows like that several times and they've always said no. He said accepting offers like that would be "bogus" for a band like Rush. And Robert Telleria ("Mereley [sic] Players," not the most trustworthy source for Rush info) also wrote that the band had been offered late night television appearances - including SNL - and always said no.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 18 2010, 01:13 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 17 2010, 11:24 PM)

yes.gif I agree. And isn't it funny that within the past two years we now think anything's possible for them in terms of mainstream exposure and what they'll agree to? Things are different now then they were two years ago. As Les Claypool said in the documentary, "It's like they're more popular now than they ever were!"

I've seen an interview on MuchMusic where Geddy said they've been asked to do shows like that several times and they've always said no. He said accepting offers like that would be "bogus" for a band like Rush. And Robert Telleria ("Mereley [sic] Players," not the most trustworthy source for Rush info) also wrote that the band had been offered late night television appearances - including SNL - and always said no.

Yep.

I think it is time though.

Use the "Time Machine" concept, and bring back the first cast.

Could you imagine Alex and Belushi together?

Geddy with Gilda?

Then have a skit where Neil is one of the "Wild and Crazy Guys!"

That would be classic. Ratings would be one of their best ever, IMO.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 18 2010, 12:24 AM)

Then David Letterman followed by Jay Leno. And then the Today Show followed by Oprah and Ellen.

If they went on SNL to do sketches (as well as perform of course) I would like to see the guys from SNL bring back some of the classic people (Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, etc.) so that Rush wouldn't have to be with the less-than-funny people they have on there now. and maybe Betty White could come back on and sing a song with them!!!

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jul 17 2010, 11:26 PM)
Rush has talent.. so why would they bother with the useless trash masquerading as comedians on SNL?

I agree, SNL has not been good in years.............But I would still watch it if they were on

You know, it's funny... any time it comes up, people always say of SNL "it hasn't been good in years".

But I've been hearing that for as long as I can remember, going back to about the mid-80's when I became aware of SNL when I was 10 or 12. I can't remember a time when people agreed that the show was any good, and moreover, that it had been recently good - it's always been "it hasn't been good in years".

Has the show really sucked every single year since 1975? How could it possibly have lasted this long?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 18 2010, 11:28 AM)
You know, it's funny... any time it comes up, people always say of SNL "it hasn't been good in years".

But I've been hearing that for as long as I can remember, going back to about the mid-80's when I became aware of SNL when I was 10 or 12. I can't remember a time when people agreed that the show was any good, and moreover, that it had been recently good - it's always been "it hasn't been good in years".

Has the show really sucked every single year since 1975? How could it possibly have lasted this long?

If you get one good skit a show that's successful.

I still watch SNL from time to time and it's okay.

What's up with What Up With That? It's the opposite of funny. And they keep doing it!!!

I too was watching SNL last night and thinking the same thing.

Look if a guy like Frank Zappa can do SNL, which he did, then RUSH should be able to do it. Zappa was also a no compromise, 'don't "F" with my music' niche musician. And he was really good on the show. He was in the sketches and played as well

I can tell you this, a TON of RUSHies that don't normally watch SNL would be tuning in for that one! yes.gif

This or an appearance on Conan O'Brien the Barbarian's new TBS show next Spring. Conan is "hot" I suppose with the buzz after the whole Tonight Show thing which might me big early audiences.

Not sure if Conan is allowing musical guests on the show.

Plus Rush really fits the mold with their quirky humor similar to Conan's.

Archived