Saw Inception Last night

briremo

I just got this (early Christmas present) last night. I was disappointed that I'd missed it while it was in the theater so after dinner my wife and I watched it and wow! It. Blew. Us. Away. This is the best movie I have seen in years and I can't wait to watch it again.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 16 2010, 06:49 AM)
I just got this (early Christmas present) last night. I was disappointed that I'd missed it while it was in the theater so after dinner my wife and I watched it and wow! It. Blew. Us. Away. This is the best movie I have seen in years and I can't wait to watch it again.

I was planning on buying this sight unseen anyway, but you just sold me on buying it NOW.

It is very good but one can't help thinking that it's just The Matrix meets The Guns Of Navarone. Most of the so-called plot surprises were obvious to me but then again I sit there looking for these things like a smart-arse.

Great piece of popcorn theatre but no Citizen Kane...

QUOTE (Tony R @ Dec 16 2010, 11:48 AM)
It is very good but one can't help thinking that it's just The Matrix meets The Guns Of Navarone. Most of the so-called plot surprises were obvious to me but then again I sit there looking for these things like a smart-arse.

Great piece of popcorn theatre but no Citizen Kane...

My wife is the same way. 5 minutes into a movie she'll predict (pretty accurately) most of the plot twists and spend the entire movie watching herself be proven right. It drives me crazy. laugh.gif

I want to check this movie out big time.

I thought it was pretty awesome, the ending was predictable from the point where the girl sees his ex wife in the "basement" but what a ride! Best movie since Star Trek (2009) IMO.

Just saw this for the first time. One of the most original and engrossing films I've seen in a long time. I think Christopher Nolan is our most talented auteur right now -- he was able to make a very complicated plot easy to follow. And I love that he does as many of the visual effects in-camera as possible.

I have seen this move 3 times now......

This film without a doubt has clinched a spot in my top 10 of all time, If I think about it, perhaps my top 5....

The second of Nolan's flims in my top 10

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 1 2011, 10:44 PM)
I have seen this move 3 times now......

This film without a doubt has clinched a spot in my top 10 of all time, If I think about it, perhaps my top 5....

The second of Nolan's flims in my top 10

yes.gif

I got Inception and The A Team on Blu Ray for Christmas, and I have to say, I actually enjoyed the A Team a lot more. While this was my second time seeing Inception, I found myself EXTREMELY disappointed on my second viewing. I caught nothing new, and I found no deeper meaning than what was obvious on the first viewing. Maybe I just don't get it, but Inception was really a let down after the hype leading up to it. A Team, on the other hand, was fun as hell.

I bought Inception on Bluray a couple weeks ago, I havent had a chance to watch it yet unfortunately.

Inception isn't as confusing as people think it is...not a mindfuck in any way, if you pay attention and make special not of what setting each scene is in, it's easy enough to follow. It is an enjoyable movie all around, nonetheless, and i've been able to pick up something new every single time I watch it.

SPOILER-ISH

cobb's totem isn't the top, it's his wedding ring

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jan 2 2011, 04:40 AM)
I got Inception and The A Team on Blu Ray for Christmas, and I have to say, I actually enjoyed the A Team a lot more. While this was my second time seeing Inception, I found myself EXTREMELY disappointed on my second viewing. I caught nothing new, and I found no deeper meaning than what was obvious on the first viewing. Maybe I just don't get it, but Inception was really a let down after the hype leading up to it. A Team, on the other hand, was fun as hell.

LOl! Surprising to hear this from you in some ways. From most of your posts Ive read, I presumed a more intellectually challenging display to be up your alley. Although I haven't seen The A-Team, I've heard it is fun and I'm sure 90 minutes of explosions will get me off as well.

But I found Inception to be really enveloping and I just love a flick that begs you to listen and think a bit. I doubt Barachus and the boyZ will require too much of that.

Hey, I love Stone Crab and Cheese-doodles. But not together.

QUOTE (briremo @ Jan 2 2011, 09:53 PM)

LOl! Surprising to hear this from you in some ways. From most of your posts Ive read, I presumed a more intellectually challenging display to be up your alley. Although I haven't seen The A-Team, I've heard it is fun and I'm sure 90 minutes of explosions will get me off as well.

But I found Inception to be really enveloping and I just love a flick that begs you to listen and think a bit. I doubt Barachus and the boyZ will require too much of that.

laugh.gif The A-Team was certainly no mind-bending brain burner, but the skill in that movie was their trueness to the original form. I really enjoyed seeing the distorted physics of the original (which were due to budget restrictions) re-created with modern big-budget technology- they didn't make the movie look perfect, and the imperfection is there in all the right ways. The feel, the attitude, the cheese, it's all there from the original, and all the parts were cast very well. I enjoyed it thoroughly, and recommend it to anyone else who grew up on Hannibal, Murdock, Baraccas, and Faceman.

Inception, while a clever film, just struck me as 'trying to hard'. I understand that the movie is built on several layers of intricacies that tie together very well; but it all seemed so forced. I felt a lack of subtlety and mystique... even though that's what I was told specifically to look forward to. I'm really not trying to knock Inception, because it IS clever, and I did enjoy watching it. I just didn't appreciate everything they tried to do, I felt like it was unnecessarily complicated, and lacked a natural 'flow'. It's like Dream Theater; I love Dream Theater for their technical ability and musicmanship: they're one of my favorite bands. But sometimes Dream Theater's technical touch turns into directionless wankery. That's what Inception felt like; it almost felt like a film maker showing off just to show off. Sometimes you just want something more seemless, more pure of heart... like Porcupine Tree.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jan 2 2011, 11:47 PM)

laugh.gif The A-Team was certainly no mind-bending brain burner, but the skill in that movie was their trueness to the original form. I really enjoyed seeing the distorted physics of the original (which were due to budget restrictions) re-created with modern big-budget technology- they didn't make the movie look perfect, and the imperfection is there in all the right ways. The feel, the attitude, the cheese, it's all there from the original, and all the parts were cast very well. I enjoyed it thoroughly, and recommend it to anyone else who grew up on Hannibal, Murdock, Baraccas, and Faceman.

Inception, while a clever film, just struck me as 'trying to hard'. I understand that the movie is built on several layers of intricacies that tie together very well; but it all seemed so forced. I felt a lack of subtlety and mystique... even though that's what I was told specifically to look forward to. I'm really not trying to knock Inception, because it IS clever, and I did enjoy watching it. I just didn't appreciate everything they tried to do, I felt like it was unnecessarily complicated, and lacked a natural 'flow'. It's like Dream Theater; I love Dream Theater for their technical ability and musicmanship: they're one of my favorite bands. But sometimes Dream Theater's technical touch turns into directionless wankery. That's what Inception felt like; it almost felt like a film maker showing off just to show off. Sometimes you just want something more seemless, more pure of heart... like Porcupine Tree.

Do you think maybe you feel this way because they took so much effort to explain everything as they went along? I kind of feel that in a way. I love it when things just unfold in your mind, the director gives you the events, but you figure out the story...what's really going on.

Like at the end of American Beauty (SPOILER!) when Spacey dies with a smile on his face. His wife didn't walk in and say "Oh at least you died happy when the guy next door shot you because you finally had a cathartic moment when you realized you love your life and now I'm going to go throw myself into your clothes because I can;t stand the thought of life without you and boy I really f*cked up."?

tongue.gif

QUOTE (briremo @ Jan 3 2011, 09:20 PM)

Do you think maybe you feel this way because they took so much effort to explain everything as they went along? I kind of feel that in a way. I love it when things just unfold in your mind, the director gives you the events, but you figure out the story...what's really going on.

Like at the end of American Beauty (SPOILER!) when Spacey dies with a smile on his face. His wife didn't walk in and say "Oh at least you died happy when the guy next door shot you because you finally had a cathartic moment when you realized you love your life and now I'm going to go throw myself into your clothes because I can;t stand the thought of life without you and boy I really f*cked up."?

tongue.gif

Exactly.

One of my all time favorites, if not my favorite; is 2001. That movie mastered the idea of telling a story without actually doing any telling. You've got to connect A to B to C yourself. It is that openendedness that I felt Inception lacked. Now, I know it's not fair to compare Inception to 2001; but it felt like I was tracing over a connect the dots puzzle that was already done or partially done.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jan 5 2011, 04:49 AM)

tongue.gif

Exactly.

One of my all time favorites, if not my favorite; is 2001. That movie mastered the idea of telling a story without actually doing any telling. You've got to connect A to B to C yourself. It is that openendedness that I felt Inception lacked. Now, I know it's not fair to compare Inception to 2001; but it felt like I was tracing over a connect the dots puzzle that was already done or partially done.

I haven't bought The A Team on Blue Ray yet - how good exactly good is it, is it worth buying? On another point, which one is better - the aforementioned or Inception?

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 5 2011, 12:20 AM)

tongue.gif

Exactly.

I haven't bought The A Team on Blue Ray yet - how good exactly good is it, is it worth buying? On another point, which one is better - the aforementioned or Inception?

Inception is definitely the more cerebral, more intricate work. I think the A-Team is just way more fun.

If you like nostalgia, if you watched the original A-Team, or you like action-packed, explosion laced 'eye-candy' movies; then you'll like the A-Team. It won't challenge you, it won't blow your mind, but it will leave a smile on your face.

If not, Inception's a solid flick; just don't get your hope as high as people make it out to be. It's a smart movie, it's just not the masterpiece I expected (only my opinion).

Edited by KenJennings

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jan 5 2011, 05:25 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 5 2011, 12:20 AM)

tongue.gif

Exactly.

Inception is definitely the more cerebral, more intricate work. I think the A-Team is just way more fun.

If you like nostalgia, if you watched the original A-Team, or you like action-packed, explosion laced 'eye-candy' movies; then you'll like the A-Team. It won't challenge you, it won't blow your mind, but it will leave a smile on your face.

If not, Inception's a solid flick; just don't get your hope as high as people make it out to be. It's a smart movie, it's just not the masterpiece I expected (only my opinion).

I'll give them both a go then. Thanks. cool.gif

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Feb 6 2011, 10:21 AM)
I just watched it.....liked it a lot

POSSIBLE SPOILER

Sooooo....did the top fall over or not?

It was all a dream...including actually watching it. In fact, this post is a dream within a dream of a TRF discussion of that dream that was the movie.

SPOILERS:

I've still only seen the movie once, but I had time to think about it.

It was definitely a very cool and fun movie, and one I want to see again at some point, but it's certainly nowhere near the movie that first Matrix was or anything.

I guess for me what it was lacking is that so much of the movie seemed to be just long action sequences. I mean, I understand symbolically what was going on in the whole fortress in the snow scene, but after awhile with some scenes like that, I felt like I was watching the opening to a James Bond film. I'm not putting down James Bond, but it's hardly the most intellectually stimulating type of material.

I guess also is I felt a lack of soul somehow in the movie - I though the concept was excellent, but I really didn't care much about most of the characters. I thought Leonardo DiCaprio's character, while obviously suffering, needed to show a lot more emotion for me to really feel emotionally connected to his plight - he was often just too nonchalant or mellow given his situation, and that made it hard for me to really get involved in his psyche. It seemed more like he was afraid of this woman who wasn't even real, as opposed to being tortured by his own inner demons.

I also thought Ellen Page was somewhat wasted. She's a great actress, and really her part could have been played by almost anyone.

So still, great movie, and maybe somewhat minor-ish quibbles, but it didn't have quite the impact I was hoping it would given who directed it and all the hype...

Edited by rushgoober