Signed items

Janie

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Sep 25 2010, 08:43 AM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Sep 24 2010, 01:36 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 20 2010, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (varney2613 @ Sep 19 2010, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE (SeaTurtle @ Sep 19 2010, 08:05 PM)
I'm not sure about sending a note with it, though, and am wondering if I should bother since it seems they aren't being read.

I'm not sure who is reading them, but someone is. My note was the only place where I wrote my name and since my album was personalized, someone had to have read it.

It can't hurt to throw in a note.

I agree. Send a little note and sign it so they can personalize it for you. And by personalize I mean, they will put your name on it. What I meant by someone not reading notes was that I had included a note attached with my TSOR guitar sheet music. It seems like if someone had read it they would have understood why I was sending it in, why it was special to me and why I wanted Alex to sign it. Also, LM sent something in she wanted personalized for her son but that didn't happen either.

What's weird about it is that I signed each of the notes (and there was one for each of them in it's own envelope, with a family photo of us) from Kathy, David and Niall - so you'd think that if they we're not going to follow the direction of the letter and personalize it to who I asked (Niall) that they would put it to the persons that signed the letter (Kathy, David and Niall)...instead, it was just to Kathy and David. Just weird... confused13.gif

*edited to say that I'm not complaining by any means, I am so happy that I have something signed by them...I'm just sad that I don't have something signed to my son, which was the point of sending it in...*

Why didn't you just send in one photo and say please sign it for my son if that is what you wanted?

Definitely a bit of too much of a good thing going on with a few here when you send in multiple things to multiple places, right?

I just sent my one item to Tampa...I saw the Camden and Allentown shows, but didn't have the time to hit the post office until today.

Wish me luck.

trink39.gif

p.s. On topic, I bought an Andy Timmons Band T-shirt from his website and it came with a personalized note and signature. I wasn't expecting that..very cool.

Cool. I met Andy Timmons back in the early 90's. I was a judge in a 'best guitarist' competition and Andy Timmons was one of the guest 'stars' there. I took out Andy, Billy Sheehan, and Greg Bissonette to a local bar and they got up on stage and played a few songs using the local band's gear. There was a fight in the parking lot. It was awesome.

oh yea, I also got to play golf with Phil Lanzon of Uriah Heep at the same event. I sucked. He had to give me pointers because I was holding them all up. lol

Edited by Cowtothesky

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Sep 25 2010, 09:43 AM)
I'm not sure about sending a note with it, though, and am wondering if I should bother since it seems they aren't being read.

I'm not sure who is reading them, but someone is. My note was the only place where I wrote my name and since my album was personalized, someone had to have read it.

I agree. Send a little note and sign it so they can personalize it for you. And by personalize I mean, they will put your name on it. What I meant by someone not reading notes was that I had included a note attached with my TSOR guitar sheet music. It seems like if someone had read it they would have understood why I was sending it in, why it was special to me and why I wanted Alex to sign it. Also, LM sent something in she wanted personalized for her son but that didn't happen either.

What's weird about it is that I signed each of the notes (and there was one for each of them in it's own envelope, with a family photo of us) from Kathy, David and Niall - so you'd think that if they we're not going to follow the direction of the letter and personalize it to who I asked (Niall) that they would put it to the persons that signed the letter (Kathy, David and Niall)...instead, it was just to Kathy and David. Just weird... confused13.gif

*edited to say that I'm not complaining by any means, I am so happy that I have something signed by them...I'm just sad that I don't have something signed to my son, which was the point of sending it in...*

Why didn't you just send in one photo and say please sign it for my son if that is what you wanted?

Definitely a bit of too much of a good thing going on with a few here when you send in multiple things to multiple places, right?

to clarify -

* it was one package sent to one venue with four items in the package. The item for them to sign (a tour book), and three envelopes (one each for Alex, Geddy and Neil).

* inside each envelope there was a letter (each said the same exact thing, asking for them to sign the tourbook, personalizing it to my son), and a picture of the three of us for them to keep for themselves - a small personalization so they knew who was sending them the request, as I read in Roadshow that they do actually like and keep their fan letters.

Not really that complicated. unsure.gif

Agreed. I have known about the autograph dealio for some time but never took advantage of it til a couple weeks ago.I thought that if I didn't do it soon, the popularity of this former 'inside trick' to getting an item signed would soon be shut down. I don't plan on sending anything else in this tour or any other tour. I am wholly pleased I got my poster signed (it is already matted and framed and on the wall!) When I read through the thread and a few others on the subject I was kind of put off by people obviously taking full advantage of sending in to multiple venues. I almost wish they take note of who sends what....and return items unsigned to anyone who abuses this precious opportunity. I thought with the recent influx of posts on the subject we would for sure see an end to it.

QUOTE (workingman @ Sep 25 2010, 11:19 PM)
I predict that this will collapse as this grows - one of those things that we will one day say "hey, it was good while it lasted". With their increasing popularity these days and with this autograph opportunity catching on rapidly, I can see the writing on the wall....

As i've said before, if they wanted to keep this "secret" why would Neil talk about it in his book?

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Sep 25 2010, 11:51 PM)

to clarify -

* it was one package sent to one venue with four items in the package. The item for them to sign (a tour book), and three envelopes (one each for Alex, Geddy and Neil).

* inside each envelope there was a letter (each said the same exact thing, asking for them to sign the tourbook, personalizing it to my son), and a picture of the three of us for them to keep for themselves - a small personalization so they knew who was sending them the request, as I read in Roadshow that they do actually like and keep their fan letters.

In jdouglas' defense, your original post said you sent a tourbook and a separate envelope for each member. You didn't state that the envelopes were for them to keep. So it could easily have been construed that you might have wanted all 4 things signed. No need to sound condescending.

Edited by rusher

I sent an album to 1 venue, got it back signed...but in rough shape because the post office thrashed it on the way back (my own fault for not reinforcing it with enough card board to keep it safe)

So a few weeks later I sent a different album into a different venue, this time with a lot more protection and I was luck enough to get that one back in much better shape.

Is it opportunistic to have done that? Some may think so...I mainly just wanted an signed album that didn't look like it had been dragged down the street tied to the back of a pick up truck.

The third album I sent was addressed to a friend (the bass player in my band) with a letter that I wrote on his behalf to be mailed back directly to him...I did this as a gift for him because I knew that he wouldn't think to do it for himself...I wanted to something nice for a friend.

So in total I sent three different albums to three different venues this tour. I am extremely grateful that all three came back signed. I really don't see this as greedy, opportunistic or in any way taking advantage of the kindness of the band....but that's just my 2 cents.

Would I do it again in the future? I am not looking to have a collection of signed albums...so probably not for me...but my 11 year old son has already asked me to send in a copy of 2112 for the band to sign for him...I told him we should wait until the next tour :-)

QUOTE (rusher @ Sep 26 2010, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Sep 25 2010, 11:51 PM)

to clarify -

In jdouglas' defense, your original post said you sent a tourbook and a separate envelope for each member. You didn't state that the envelopes were for them to keep. So it could easily have been construed that you might have wanted all 4 things signed. No need to sound condescending.

I had stated earlier in the thread what I had sent actually...I wasn't trying to come across condescending at all, I was merely trying to clarify that I wasn't trying to take advantage of getting multiple items signed - that isn't something that I would ever do, and I took a mild offense to someone I barely know implying that I was - hence the clarification. I was not intending to come across as condescending at all, and if I did, I apologize.

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Sep 26 2010, 10:05 PM)
I had stated earlier in the thread what I had sent actually...I wasn't trying to come across condescending at all, I was merely trying to clarify that I wasn't trying to take advantage of getting multiple items signed - that isn't something that I would ever do, and I took a mild offense to someone I barely know implying that I was - hence the clarification. I was not intending to come across as condescending at all, and if I did, I apologize.

Hey, it's all good. Sometimes the written word has a different effect than the spoken word. I'm sure you meant no harm.

About your situation, perhaps because your son's name is pretty original, maybe they didn't recognize it as such.

Also, I imagine, at least some of the times, someone on their staff takes care of the personalizations, and the band just goes down the line signing the items.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Sep 27 2010, 12:06 AM)
Yup, sorta read like you sent in a bunch of stuff to be signed..my bad i guess.

confused13.gif

Nope, just the one tour book... cool.gif

just got back my F2K album cover from Houston!!!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g155/venereal/0929001125.jpg

I'm happy as hell that I now own the new tour book and this, autographed to me!!

And if this all ends tomorrow (the autographing, i mean ohmy.gif ), i'll die a happy man. I was able to connect in a small way to my favorite band of all time, and that's good enough for me!

If I do this again during a future tour,I think I'll do it as a gift, because I want to share this awesome feeling the guys have provided me with!

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Sep 24 2010, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 20 2010, 07:36 AM)

Janie maybe he feels that the sheet music(even only 1 page) would be too easy to sell with his signature on it.

But I included a note with it with my name so he could have easily put my name on it and then what would its worth be on eBay? Not a whole lot is my guess; however, selling is the furthest thing from my mind. I was planning on framing it and putting it next to my other signed items. Here's a pic of my two tour books (along with concert ticket):

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/LifesonPics/Picture1861.jpg

I also have my signed MP album cover framed too and hanging next to the tour books.

QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 29 2010, 12:17 PM)

I also have my signed MP album cover framed too and hanging next to the tour books.

Those look amazing! Congrats!

QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 29 2010, 10:17 AM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Sep 24 2010, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 20 2010, 07:36 AM)

Janie maybe he feels that the sheet music(even only 1 page) would be too easy to sell with his signature on it.

But I included a note with it with my name so he could have easily put my name on it and then what would its worth be on eBay? Not a whole lot is my guess; however, selling is the furthest thing from my mind. I was planning on framing it and putting it next to my other signed items. Here's a pic of my two tour books (along with concert ticket):

Those look great. I want to get a shadowbox to put my sticks and other Rush things in.

I just got this back today from Houston, and it completely made my day! I am beyond thrilled!!!

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1176/13165634/23514323/392276272.jpg

It is so amazing that they take the time to do this!

Love the frame jobs w/tickets, very nice.

biggrin.gif

Nobody buys signed items on ebay, there are just a bunch of sellers and no buyers for those items...of which probably 95% are fake anyway. wacko.gif

But to have a band you like personally sign something for just you, that is pretty priceless. Congrats and Enjoy them.

yes.gif

QUOTE (rusher @ Sep 30 2010, 03:43 PM)
Just wanted to post a pic of the finished display for my wall. It was even wife-approved.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/photostart/DSC_0482.jpg

God did that turn out NICE! Good job! I really like it.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Sep 30 2010, 09:36 PM)
Nobody buys signed items on ebay, there are just a bunch of sellers and no buyers for those items...of which probably 95% are fake anyway. wacko.gif

That's why it doesn't make sense that Alex didn't/wouldn't/couldn't sign my guitar sheet music for TSOR. Nobody's Hero brought up that maybe he wouldn't sign it because perhaps he thought I was going to sell it. If it were the original sheet music, signed, then yes, I could see someone selling that for a decent chunk of change. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 1 2010, 09:19 AM)
Just wanted to post a pic of the finished display for my wall. It was even wife-approved.

Thats is super C:D:DL!!!!

Edited by Motorshooter

Just wanted to show the framed pic hanging in Nick's toy-room... And to add that the personalization request ("To Nicolas") was only written in the note that I'd included... So someone does indeed read the notes. (even spelled it correctly - no "H"...)

Also thought I'd show a past postcard I made up and had the guys sign (think it was the R30 tour maybe?)... Hugh Syme's "Starman" guy is a perfect proportion to DaVinci's Vetruvian Man - 2 of my favorite images.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u176/TomD14/nickrush1.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u176/TomD14/R1.jpg

QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 1 2010, 09:19 AM)

Thanks guys for the compliments.

What I like most about my piece is that the picture is from the their Permanent Waves days and the ticket is from the Time Machine Tour.

A ticket dated 2010 and pic from 30 years before.

Edited by rusher