Best Stadium

sfuentes

Which is the best stadium you've been to? I've been to four different stadiums, and I have to say that Pac Bell Park (Not SBC!) is the best that I've been too. There's not a bad seat in the stadium, and where I sit, I'm in the sun for half the game and in the shade for the other half. Plus, the food there is great. I can't get enough of those garlic fries. Truly a treat! trink39.gif

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Apr 10 2005, 01:25 AM)
Which is the best stadium you've been to? I've been to four different stadiums, and I have to say that Pac Bell Park (Not SBC!) is the best that I've been too. There's not a bad seat in the stadium, and where I sit, I'm in the sun for half the game and in the shade for the other half. Plus, the food there is great. I can't get enough of those garlic fries. Truly a treat! trink39.gif

Good question. I'll just mention the ones I've been to, past and present:

Milwaukee County Stadium - This was the first place I ever took in a major league game. Every summer, when I visited the grandparents outside Milwaukee, my grandfather would take me to a game or two. I have fond memories of it. Great teams back in the late 70s and early 80s. It was replaced by Miller Park a few years ago, and I have yet to go to it. We plan to get there this summer if all goes well.

Candlestick Park - I went there for a day game back in 1979. I don't remember much of it. The Giants were playing the Cubs, who absolutely stunk. I think one had to go there for a night game to get the true flavor of the park, with all the wind and the cold air swirling around, and bundle up. I grew up hating the Giants, the lifelong archrival of the Dodgers.

Yankee Stadium - I've been to two games there in my lifetime. There are some pretty vocal and obnoxious fans, for sure. But when I sat there and thought of all the history that has gone down in that ball park, I just get those chills. It's a true shrine.

Dodger Stadium - I used to go to a lot of games there when I lived in LA in the late 80s. It's such a great place to take in a ball game. I grew up a Dodger fan in Phoenix, listening to games on the radio, called by Vin Scully. Dodger fans usually bring their radios to the game so they can listen to Vin while they watch. I don't care too much for the "show up in the third and leave in the seventh" stuff that goes on, but I love sitting in that park and taking in a game.

Bank One Ballpark - Nothing special about the ball park itself. I took my mom there for Mother's Day when I went home to visit back in 2001. The roof was opened, the weather perfect. It was the night that Randy Johnson had 20 strikeouts. It had to be my most exciting live moment ever in baseball. My mom even caught one of those T-shirts that was fired out of the air gun by the mascot. Perfect.

Wrigley Field - Another shrine to baseball. No pretensions in this place. A lot of drunken fans, though. They had to stop serving in the 7th because it was getting out of hand. A great place to sit on a summer day with a cool breeze. The only problem over the years has been the baseball itself. Many of the fans there are not into the game as much as the social scene. Don't expect to have conversations with the people around you about the finer points of baseball. Great place for girl watching, too. A great neighborhood around the park for before and after the game, also.

New Comiskey Park (also known as US Cellular Field) - Not the most exciting ball park. It was the last of the bland parks built before Camden Yards. This park is known for rowdy (that's putting it diplomatically) fans. Do not wear Cubs stuff to this park, whatever you do. The neighborhood by the park is dangerous. Do not hang out afterwards. The food is good here.

I hope to get to a few this season. Maybe Pac Bell/SBC, maybe Miller. I still haven't gotten to go to Fenway, either. PNC in Pittsburgh looks like a hell of a park. It was voted best park by ESPN magazine last year, by the way.

I've only been to the two parks that are (or were) here in Seattle

Kingdome - UGH! Baseball is NOT an indoor sport and the whole atmosphere of the Kingdome just kind of put a downer on the game. Nonetheless, I remember the game I saw there as it was one of the last times Fernando Valenzuela pitched in the majors.

Safeco Field - Much nicer atmosphere. Baseball as it was meant to be played, but with the benefit of the roof for those extra common rainy days here. The park design is similar to Coors Field too. What's kind of funny is that the wind blows toward the right field wall, but the park is still not very conducive to home runs. I saw a great game last year: Mariners vs Red Sox with Schilling pitching. The game was challenging for a while but then it got blown open near the middle innings. The place EXPLODED with cheers when Manny Ramirez hit a grand slam.

Victory Field - home of the Indianapolis Indians. Yes, it's a minor league ballpark, but people it's great! You true-blue baseball fans would love it. It is closely modeled after Camden Yards. It's also ideally located within downtown Indy. I guess that's why I love it so much. It's a great design and in the perfect spot. I have only been there a few times but I really like it and I'm not even a big-time baseball fan. Those of you that are would probably really groove on it.

Wow, cool topic!

The stadiums I have been to:

Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles.

My grandfather took me there in 1972, I was five. It was an amazing experience that I still recall today. I still manage to get there at least once or twice a season, despite living in "enemy territory," taking endless crap from blow hard Giant fans. Dodger Stadium is a great place to see a game, one of my favorites, though the seats are a bit small. The food is ok. The Dodgers were just elected to the Guiness Book of Records for having the largest attendance of all time, going back to Brooklyn. More people see baseball at Dodger Stadium each year than any other stadium. They also sell more hot dogs than any other stadium. Go Dodgers!

Oakland Coliseum (Now McAfee Coliseum).

My family has had A's season tickets for at least 15 years, 10 at our current location; 3rd row between 3rd base and the bull pen. Before Al Davis brought the Raiders back and f*cked it up it was the best place to see a baseball game in the Bay Area, until they built Pac Bell (now SBC). It is still a good place to see a game. Excellent food and beverages with fast moving lines! (Even when packed during the playoffs and fireworks games) I attend around 20 games here a season. Go A's!

"The Big A" Angel Stadium in ANAHEIM, not Los Angeles.

When I was kid in the suburbs of LA we were equadistant from both Dodger Stadium and Angel Stadium so I saw a fair amount of games there. I made it to a couple games there last season for the first time since. It is much better these days than when I was a kid. I remember seeing Reggie Jackson foul one completely out of the stadium when I was 7 or 8. I remember wishing I was at Doger Stadium instead, whenever I was there. Still a decent place to see a game. Don't like their peanuts though.

Jack Murphy Stadium (Now QuallComm- I think) San Diego.

We lived in San Diego from 76-79 and my dad, brother and I went to a lot of Padre games, especially if the Dodgers came to town. The Padres really sucked, but they did have some good players, like Ozzie Smith, Dave Winfield, and Gaylord Perry. We used to get our baseball gloves signed by the players and I remember it having good sight lines where we sat. We could always get good tickets because they sucked. I have fond memories of this place, but in all honesty it wasn't that good for baseball. No wonder why the Padres moved. Can't wait to check out Petco.

Candlestick Park, SF

This place is/was horrible. I only have bad memories of this place. We moved to the Bay Area in '79 when I was 12. This is my introduction to the Dodger/Giant rivalry. Dodger fans don't really give a crap (maybe because the Dodgers have won a few world series since moving west and the Giants haven't) I knew they went up against each other, but had no idea their fans were anti-Dodger. As soon as we arrived in the parking lot I started seeing guys wearing "F*** the Dodgers!" t-shirts. I was stunned. Me and my little brother (I was 12 and he was 8) were berated regularly by guys in their 20s and 30s for wearing our Dodger gear. I mean come on, we were kids. At least the A's fans were polite during the '88 World Series. I went to opening day 1992 at Candlestick, against the Dodgers, and there was a picnic provided by B of A (how we got the tickets). It was so windy my full plate of food damn near blew across the picnic table. It was nuts. It would be freezing on an August night. F*** that place.

SBC (Formerly Pac Bell), SF.

Not a bad seat in the house. The brick is fake and looks fake. From the oustide it can look like an office building on one side. The food lines move very slowly. They have the best garlic fries. Don't like their peanuts either. I like it, despite it being the Giants venue. The crowd is much more civil than that of Candlestick, no surprise. When they built it "real" Giants fans complained about being priced out of their favorite team. That's why only 5,000 would show up to a game there, cheap seats. I was just there a couple weeks ago. The seats are a bit small, but every vantage point is a good one. I have sat all over this place and all sections are quite enjoyable. Public Trasportation is the best way here, parking is very expensive and blocks away.

Shea Stadium, Queens.

I went in 2001 on Father's Day with my dad and brother for a Subway Series game. The Mets won on a 9th inning walk off homer by Mike Piazza. Yay!. I hate the Yankees. This place reminded me a bit of Dodger stadium and the way Oakland used to be. It is pretty huge. They sell the street style hot dogs there, which I like. The upper deck had samller seats than in the boxes (we were split up because we got our tickets day of game and moved around throughout the game). It was a cool experience, taking the subway from and to Manhattan. I would recommend it and want to see a game at Yankee Stadium, mostly because of the history.

QUOTE (kazzman @ May 21 2005, 03:27 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ May 21 2005, 04:07 PM)
I ran across a site devoted to baseball stadiums, new and old.  Check it out:

http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/index.shtml

Wow, great find.

Thanks.

Check out Griffith Stadium, old home of the Washington Senators. It appears to be the reverse design of Fenway. The "Monster" is in right field. Not green, though. It was plastered with all kinds of ads.

Archived