Best I Can - John Rutsey vs Neil Peart version

RushFanForever

The Rutsey footage is simply priceless. The true Holy Grail for Rush fans.

The main difference is that John Rutsey is very laid back compared to Neil Peart. Neil Peart seems much more enthusiastic with a lot more energy.

Rutsey version is weak. I could almost play it that well. atickhum.gif

Sorry, Rutsey fans. NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jul 16 2010, 01:39 PM)
But of course... With a busier drum part, naturally the bass follows suit. goodpost.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Jul 16 2010, 12:42 PM)
I was viewing both the John Rutsey and Neil Peart televised versions of 'Best I Can'

Rush with John Rutsey

Rush with Neil Peart

Geddy seems less aggressive on the Rutsey version and seems to be playing it safe.

I think Neil's aggressive drumming brought out a wilder edge to Geddy's singing and playing.

It could just be that he was less experienced on the Rutsey version, and a bit more practiced and confident when Neil joined later. Thanks for posting, that was interesting to compare! 2.gif

This comparison is the perfect example of what Neil brought to the band.

Neil really pushed Alex and geddy to become better players.

Love the footage and it also makes it so clear why Neil was brought in.

Even though Neil Pearts version is much better! I'm going with John Rutsey's. Why? Because there wouldn't even Been A Rush if he would haven't lasted all those years with Geddy and Alex. After watching tHe documentary, I appreciate him much more. He wasn't a bad drummer. He was very influencial in Rush at the begining and we and Neil owe him alot! Who knows maybe if Neil was in there from the beginning he might have left after a few years even before Rush Debut album was recorded!

Things happen for a Reason!

Good Going John, We'll miss you!

applaudit.gif

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Jul 16 2010, 06:20 PM)
I think Geddy is more aggressive because by the time Neil got there, they had played the song about 1,000 times.

So his rhythm section partner has nothing to do with it?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 16 2010, 08:43 PM)
I think Geddy is more aggressive because by the time Neil got there, they had played the song about 1,000 times.

Obviously there are many reasons performances change, but experience with a song is probably the primary influence, IMO, with Neil being a strong second influence.

Hands down the Peart drumming is better, but it's great to see how they got there and Rutsey is a large part of the Rush legacy.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jul 16 2010, 08:48 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 16 2010, 08:43 PM)

Obviously there are many reasons performances change, but experience with a song is probably the primary influence, IMO, with Neil being a strong second influence.

Hands down the Peart drumming is better, but it's great to see how they got there and Rutsey is a large part of the Rush legacy.

+1

Put it better than I could have.

Man it was so good just to watch that Rutsey clip as I have not yet seen the doco and I have seen very little of Rutsey. I must say that I did like his laid back style which was the general feel in the seventies but the song was much better with Neil playing it a year later. You could say that Neil's style was much more aggressive and "Busy" for a drummer in that era and he obviously joined the band at exactly the right time in RUSH's development. 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Am I the only one that thinks that Rutsey was a hack?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 19 2010, 07:36 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jul 19 2010, 08:08 PM)

'Hack' would be a pretty harsh word given that he was still just a kid that recorded only 1 album.

It is a harsh word. I think he was well below average. To play with two guys like Geddy and Alex, yes he was a hack. yes.gif

and Neil was a kid also when he recorded his first album, but he was great on it. That is the reality of it.

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 19 2010, 09:11 PM)

'Hack' would be a pretty harsh word given that he was still just a kid that recorded only 1 album.

It is a harsh word. I think he was well below average. To play with two guys like Geddy and Alex, yes he was a hack. yes.gif

and Neil was a kid also when he recorded his first album, but he was great on it. That is the reality of it.

Another reality is that Peart makes many seasoned drummers look like amateurs. Even in his earliest RUSH days Neil was inhuman

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 19 2010, 08:43 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jul 19 2010, 09:11 PM)

Another reality is that Peart makes many seasoned drummers look like amateurs. Even in his earliest RUSH days Neil was inhuman

I understand that but I think my drummer was about as good as Rutsey. He just wasn't that good. He wasn't a hack if he was playing in my band because we were a bar band. He was a hack to be playing with two of the all time greats, IMHO!

Archived