How is Alex's hand doing while playing?

I've heard rumors of problems with his hands.

Alex does talk about some finger probs a bit in the Rio documentary, but nothing major.

Saw him playing the other night, and he looked just fine to me.

I believe he has psoriasis or something similar that flares up from time to time and affects his hands.

QUOTE (randyferron @ Jul 18 2010, 11:04 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 16 2010, 08:54 PM)
I believe he has psoriasis or something similar that flares up from time to time and affects his hands.

Maybe why always wears long sleeves?

I thought about that, after seeing him time after time in long sleeves, but he is short sleeves in many of his recent shots.

I looked up psoriasis on wiki and to my surprise it is not always accompanied with skin discoloration, so maybe its not an issue with him. It does cause discomfort though.

See my pic below.

Edited by briremo

That pic above kinda looks like he is joking around but he might not be.

I never saw that pic as being of Alex in pain. He's been making those faces during guitar solos for years. It's like he's really into it, and as a musician myself, many of us have our trademark facial expressions when in the groove.

Either that, or he's pinching a big loaf :-D

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jul 18 2010, 02:35 PM)
I never saw that pic as being of Alex in pain. He's been making those faces during guitar solos for years. It's like he's really into it, and as a musician myself, many of us have our trademark facial expressions when in the groove.

yeah, the point was his hands show no signs of discoloration, not whether or not he's in pain! He's just gettin into it! yes.gif

QUOTE (briremo @ Jul 18 2010, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jul 18 2010, 02:35 PM)
I never saw that pic as being of Alex in pain.  He's been making those faces during guitar solos for years.  It's like he's really into it, and as a musician myself, many of us have our trademark facial expressions when in the groove.

yeah, the point was his hands show no signs of discoloration, not whether or not he's in pain! He's just gettin into it! yes.gif

whoops guess I didn't read the post correctly.

He talks about it on the rio bonus dvd. Some sort of skin problems that makes playing painful for him. Dont know what it is, he may have actually said it was psoriasis.

It's fairly common, even in younger people, but doesnt turn into a very painful problem for most until they get older. I causes extreme dry skin to the point where it can crack which doesnt feel too good. I have it on my feet, but im not nearly as old as he is so its not too bad yet.

I noticed during the encore at Mohegan Sun he would remove his left hand from the neck of the guitar drop it to his waist and open/close/open/close and shake it a bit when he had the opportunity (La Villa Strangiato)

QUOTE (pearley @ Jul 22 2010, 01:25 PM)
I noticed during the encore at Mohegan Sun he would remove his left hand from the neck of the guitar drop it to his waist and open/close/open/close and shake it a bit when he had the opportunity (La Villa Strangiato)

That to me, seems more likely to be numbness.... I suffer from that problem myself.

QUOTE (pearley @ Jul 22 2010, 07:25 AM)

He did that a few times at the KC show as well. I think it's just a way to deal with mild Carpal Tunnel or just old age creeping in.

I've noticed as I've gotten older that even sometimes while shaving, I have to switch hands and wiggle my fingers a bit to keep them from feeling numb. Depends on what I've been doing lately and how tired I am - could be a similar thing for Alex too.

He still rocked it out though!! 1022.gif

I agree it's an act. He did it on S&A DVD once. Joking about getting old I guess.

Beware of seniors bobbling!