Epic song on Clockwork Angels

losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 14 2010, 01:09 PM)
Well we've heard two of the songs from Clockwork Angels and they are both on the short side of Rush songs. I always liked that about Genesis. Even though they went commercial they still gave us at least one if not two Epic songs per album. What do you think are the chances Rush might unleash an Epic song on this album? I'm sure Nick wants to wrap his production fingers around one and might influence the guys to do so. Any Thoughts?

We want another 2.gif EPIC song!

1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif

Unfortunately the chances seem slim. However if there was a ten minute song on the upcoming album I would PUMPED!

They seem to be trapped in that 5 minute mode.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, they have a good producer now! I really think it's just a state of mind. Sooner or later they are going to piece two similar 5 minute songs together and come up with a 10 minute song. I think it can happen much easier than we expect.

And if not? At least it makes up for an interesting post!

moon.gif

How about we just let the boys write whatever they want to write. The last thing they need is to be told what to do musically.

There is no "right direction" to push them. Pushing them at all is stupid. If they wanted to write 2 minute pop songs, let them. At least it'd be them writing what they feel right now, as opposed to what their fans dictate they should write.

An artist can't be told what to create, only to create what they feel. I don't think they feel pieces like 2112 of (lol) The Fountain of Lamneth.

And to those who say Rush hasn't done a concept album, I say Roll the Bones, Counterparts, Test for Echo and Snakes and Arrows.

Roll the Bones was all about fortune, chance, fate, etc. etc.

Counterparts was about relationships on an adult level.

Test for Echo was about communication. Either how we communicate with the world, or how one part of the world communicates with the other.

Snakes and Arrows is about faith, and what it means in different contexts. Religion, spouses, friends.

Those are true concept albums. Alums that, song to song, explore an issue lyrically in the same way.

What most people are actually looking for here is a song that tells a fairy tale. Maybe that's a bit harsh... most people are looking for a song that tells a story, with plot structure.

I personally find that indulgent and immature, but to each their own.

I just hope they have more keys through the rest of the record.

Being a keyboardist, I'm with you 100% , but the first two songs doesn't really indicate that!

I guess we'll wait and see!

popcorn.gif

QUOTE (briremo @ Jul 14 2010, 05:27 PM)
I read that tourbook post yesterday and it sure as hell sounds to me like we might get some epic stuff! I was shocked at the lengtth of Caravan! What? 7 Minutes?

But if this is a concept album writen by Peart, I hope we don't get 40 minutes about how stoopid spiritual people are. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I have to agree. It's very depressing to know Neil writes on this. Faithless is one of the only Rush lyrics I don't like. But it's not like there aren't 160 songs put there I don't enjoy. smile.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 14 2010, 08:23 PM)

Guys, they have a good producer now! I really think it's just a state of mind. Sooner or later they are going to piece two similar 5 minute songs together and come up with a 10 minute song. I think it can happen much easier than we expect.

And if not? At least it makes up for an interesting post!

moon.gif

Can't argue that! I love Nick. Solid pick.

I met Nick's father in Reno by accident up in Reno on the S&A Tour.

A sweetheart of a man.

Even if it's a "slim chance" there still is hope for an epic tune.

A sequel to "Ghost Of A Chance" perhaps? ohmy.gif

I don't think there are going to be any epic songs. We already know there are gonna be 12 songs... and they're probably going to keep the album to roughly an hour so that they can play it start to finish for one of the sets on next year's tour (my speculation there)

QUOTE (briremo @ Jul 14 2010, 05:27 PM)
I read that tourbook post yesterday and it sure as hell sounds to me like we might get some epic stuff! I was shocked at the lengtth of Caravan! What? 7 Minutes?

But if this is a concept album writen by Peart, I hope we don't get 40 minutes about how stoopid spiritual people are. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

He doesn't rail on "people with faith". He rails against people who misuse peoples inherent fears instilled by faith to serve their own purposes.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 14 2010, 04:40 PM)
Was GUP really a concept album?

Absolutely, all songs had to do with the topic of a Post Apocolyptic World!

yes.gif

Fail

Afterimage

Kid Gloves

Nothing to do with a post apocolyptic world.

As far as epics on the new album? I am all for a long piece. But either way to me it will not matter.

Caravan and BU2B are awesome tunes and if they are any indication of the direction of the new album.....let's just say I am very excited.

I loved Snakes and Arrows. This album has the potential (based on the first 2 cuts) to blow it away.

I want an epic song about how Geddy broke up with his highschool sweethaert and constantly refers to her as girl, baby etc.

It should have a 4/4 R&B rythm and be devoid of all complexity. Also 100% autotuned.

Well I think it would be cool if Rush went Pink Floyd hard rock style on CA. What if all the songs were still at Caravan type length but they all flowed together really nicely like Dark Side of The Moon did? And thus the entire album could almost be one long song even though they have individual movements.

What if all the songs were still at Caravan type length but they all flowed together really nicely like Dark Side of The Moon did? And thus the entire album could almost be one long song even though they have individual movements.

I think that's a great idea. Something like Scenes from a Memory or the A Plesant shade of Grey! Would be Awesome!

1022.gif

A concept album would be fantastic! Better than an epic. I got the impression from the tour book is that's what they're doing.

Something that could be played the whole way through with a story, like The Wall, Scenes from a Memory, Ziggy Stardust, etc. But with some instrumentals too, of course.

Edited by Nathan

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 14 2010, 03:09 PM)
Well we've heard two of the songs from Clockwork Angels and they are both on the short side of Rush songs. I always liked that about Genesis. Even though they went commercial they still gave us at least one if not two Epic songs per album. What do you think are the chances Rush might unleash an Epic song on this album? I'm sure Nick wants to wrap his production fingers around one and might influence the guys to do so. Any Thoughts?

We want another 2.gif EPIC song!

1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif

Speak for yourself. I don't.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 18 2010, 10:17 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 14 2010, 03:09 PM)

We want another  2.gif EPIC song!

1287.gif  1287.gif  1287.gif

Speak for yourself. I don't.

I think Rush should write a 60 minute epic to make up for letting so many of us fans down for decades. yes.gif