My Toronto, July 13 review

Let me just say one thing right off the bat: this concert was THE best show I have ever been to. It just flat out blew my mind. But this will be a lengthy review, so if you want to stay with me, go ahead. If not, that was my short and sweet review.

Ok, so the opening video - kind of funny. Seemed to be a little disjointed though, for some reason. But then Spirit kicks up, and I notice something. This show sounds like crap! Neil's cymbals were way too loud! But a few minutes into the show it seemed to get better, so no worries there.

The Spirit of Radio

- Amazing. As always.

Time Stand Still

- It was pretty good. Crowd seemed to die a little where I was, but it's a slow song, so it's forgiven

Presto

- Not bad!

Stick It Out

- Meh. I never liked this song, so when I heard it live, it was only ok. It seemed a little better because I always there in person, and the video was kind of cool, but otherwise, ok. Crowd is dead by now

Workin' Them Angels

- Don't care for this song, but they killed it! Alex's mandolin solo was killer, and the crowd got fired up over it

Leave That Thing Alone

- Sounded REALLY good!

Faithless

- Um....it was colourful...

BU2B

- I liked this a lot more than Caravan in the studio, but something didn't click for me live. It was still a great song, but it didn't have the punch. Plus, once Geddy said the title of the song, one guy behind me said, "What the f*** is this?"

Freewill

- Crowd is alive again! And an amazing performance by the boys. Alex nailed the solo, and it got the crowd really riled up

Marathon

- Great! The firework scared the crap out of the guy next to me

Subdivisions

- Holy crap! The best performance I've ever heard of this song.

Intermission. So the show is pretty good so far, but it's not blowing my mind. I hear various people around me saying things like, "Yeah, it's pretty good" or, "For a first set, it wasn't bad!" Then the clock comes on the screen! Everyone stands up, but holy God, does that thing take forever to go to 1981! But eventually it does, and the video starts up. Geddy looks absolutely ridiculous, and the video is hilarious. Cue to:

Tom Sawyer

- Crowd goes insane! EVERYBODY is singing along (Rio), and the accompanying video is hilarious with their roles reversed. Killer performance.

Red Barchetta

- Killed it

YYZ

- Simply amazing

Limelight

- Um....running out of adjectives here...Superb!

The Camera Eye

- One of the best songs of the night. Absolutely stellar. Plus Alex's guitar solo blew my mind! The people around me started bowing

Witch Hunt

- It was cool. Never a big fan

Vital Signs

- Ok, no joke. The BEEEEST song of the night! I was getting ready to compare it to GUP Tour's version of it, and it blew it away. Not to mention the colours accompanying the song were simply mindblowing. After the song finished, the guy behind me says, "That was a total mind f***!"

Caravan

- Really heavy and really rocking!

Love 4 Sale

- A big fat MEH

Alex's Solo

- Pretty cool

Closer to the Heart

- Pretty good. Would have been better without the change

- What can I say? It's 2112!

Far Cry

- Great closer!

La Villa

- Amazing! Alex's solo killed

Working Man

- Now let me go on record and say I DON'T LIKE THIS SONG VERY MUCH. But it was mind blowing live! A great finish, everyone was banging their heads, simply amazing!

Oh, and the I Love You, Man closing video was pretty funny.

Overall, an amazing concert. There was a little kid beside me who was REALLY into the show! Every time Neil would do a fill, he would cover his mouth and go OH MY GOD! Crowd was generally pretty responsive, and the boys were simply on fire. Especially Alex. He blew my mind. Well, can you say anything differently about these men?

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 14 2010, 11:30 AM)
and the boys were simply on fire. Well, can you say anything differently about these men?

Are they 'boys' or 'men'?

I really hate that "boys" thing to describe Rush. It's soooo friggin' ghey.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 14 2010, 11:33 AM)
and the boys were simply on fire. Well, can you say anything differently about these men?

Well excuse me.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 14 2010, 11:38 AM)

Well excuse me.

Sorry man, I just HATE that description.

"Boys" dont play that kind of music.

I understand the phrase though. Still don't like it.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 14 2010, 11:43 AM)

Well excuse me.

Anyways moving on..

QUOTE (Alex @ Jul 14 2010, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 14 2010, 11:43 AM)

Well excuse me.

Anyways moving on..

laugh.gif

Glad you had a great time

Wish I would've stopped at your short review. The simple synopsis of awesomeness is not supported by your song by song comments. This is EXACTLY what I am afraid of. I think the first set is very weak and your review supports that. For a 2.5 hour show, I'm thinking/hoping I love all but one or two songs. You have mediocre comments about several of the songs.

I'm hoping to simply be mesmerized by just being there (9/29 - Atlanta), but frankly fear the feel of the first set. I also have noticed since you can find video everywhere, including this tour Youtubers, along with R30 and S&A on Palidium and Direct TV, the aura of the build up for the live show is somewhat not as special as it once was....kind of like opening your presents on Christmas Eve before Christmas Day.

I very much look forward to the show, but this time around does not seem as special to me, except for the fact TCE will be played.

"Priests praise my name on this" day of my 100th POST Woooohooooo, I'm eligible for the SensoClock News!!!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Agreed, it was a show for the ages.

Gotta give some props to the T.O. crowd for showing a bit of energy for once.

Caravan sounded a bit unpolished to me, but BU2B knocked my friggin socks off. That tune can only be described as Heavy-duty Electric Thunk-Ka-Chunk!

Would have liked to see Ged go-fer-it a bit more with the "One moment's high..." parts in Marathon, but still pretty awesome.

I aslo had the pleasure of witnessing this fantastic show yesterday. My favourites were - time stands still, limelight, 2112, la villa, yyz & spirit.

very good sound, excellent energy. two thumbs up from the rot.

*** edit, the boyz did a gr8 job. ***

Edited by rotting

QUOTE (Digital Snowdog @ Jul 14 2010, 02:07 PM)
Wish I would've stopped at your short review. The simple synopsis of awesomeness is not supported by your song by song comments. This is EXACTLY what I am afraid of. I think the first set is very weak and your review supports that.

I think his review was more critical of the crowd reaction (i.e. uninterested in hearing anything newer than 25 years old) than it was of the performance/songs themselves.

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jul 14 2010, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Snowdog @ Jul 14 2010, 02:07 PM)
Wish I would've stopped at your short review. The simple synopsis of awesomeness is not supported by your song by song comments. This is EXACTLY what I am afraid of. I think the first set is very weak and your review supports that.

I think his review was more critical of the crowd reaction (i.e. uninterested in hearing anything newer than 25 years old) than it was of the performance/songs themselves.

Pretty much. I gave rave reviews to everything after the first set.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 14 2010, 10:30 AM)
There was a little kid beside me who was REALLY into the show! Every time Neil would do a fill, he would cover his mouth and go OH MY GOD!

too cool! love seeing kids at the shows who are genuinely into it!

loved the show! but seriously, how do you guys remember it so freakin well? bring your laptop to the show? lol... maybe I'll drink less on saturday tongue.gif

kinda funny, usually I'm watching Neil or Ged mostly, but wow, Alex is playing amazing! the solo in la villa was one of the many things I was looking forward to and... I'll say it again... WOW!