Your favorite books

invisibleairwaves

There are so many books I love, but I've found myself reading these over and over:

LoTR trilogy

Stand on Zanzibar, John Brunner

City, Clifford Simak

Cosmos, Carl Sagan

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read many classics and a lot of non-fiction, but I usually prefer just to be entertained. This list reflects that. In no specific order, books that have stayed with me, and that I have read (or would) again:

Winter's Tale - Mark Helprin

A Song of Ice and Fire (series) - George RR Martin

LOTR - JRR Tolkien

Wheel of Time (series) - Robert Jordan

Eternal Champion (series)- Michael Moorcock

Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt

Galactic Milieu (series) - Julian May

Thomas Covenant (series) - Stephen R. Donaldson

Spin - Robert Charles Wilson

Vampire Chronicles (series) - Anne Rice

It & The Stand - Stephen King

Early Tom Clancy

The Company - Robert Littel

There are so many I'm forgetting...

Big Stephen King fan here. Thoroughly enjoyed The Stand as well as many others. Haven't finished the complete Dark Tower series yet though. Another favorite for some time was Dean Koontz, after a while his patterns became too obvious, but have to admit Watchers was a great book.... hyper-intelligent dog...... too cool.

QUOTE (HuskyRunner @ May 1 2008, 08:55 AM)
Big Stephen King fan here. Thoroughly enjoyed The Stand as well as many others. Haven't finished the complete Dark Tower series yet though. Another favorite for some time was Dean Koontz, after a while his patterns became too obvious, but have to admit Watchers was a great book.... hyper-intelligent dog...... too cool.

Watchers is an incredible book - easily one of my favorites of all time.

I haven't seen the movie - precisely because I can't bear to see my beloved story ruined.

I re-read Watchers once a year or so - it's like an old friend.

smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 1 2008, 08:02 AM)
I haven't seen the movie - precisely because I can't bear to see my beloved story ruined.

I re-read Watchers once a year or so - it's like an old friend.

smile.gif

Good call. Storm shadow calling it "criminal" is in my opinion being very kind.

I just did a search of this forum, and I'm glad to see a couple of references to Bernard Cornwell. A friend gave me The Winter King two years back, and I've since read almost everything of his. I've even plunged into the voluminous Richard Sharpe series - I'm on the fifth book, and they continue to be engaging. My favorite is still the Warlord Chronicles (Snakes & Arrows seems complementary, especially Armor and Sword, and Faithless), a very different telling of the Arthur legend, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment of the King Alfred series. Cornwell just seems to work magic with the telling of historical fiction.

I also can't get enough of David Baldacci. If you like a good action suspense novel, he's your man. I'd recommend starting with Last Man Standing. Also, The Whole Truth will leave you wondering if you can trust anything you read or see in the media

QUOTE (eguy @ Sep 19 2008, 09:20 AM)
I just did a search of this forum, and I'm glad to see a couple of references to Bernard Cornwell. A friend gave me The Winter King two years back, and I've since read almost everything of his. I've even plunged into the voluminous Richard Sharpe series - I'm on the fifth book, and they continue to be engaging. My favorite is still the Warlord Chronicles (Snakes & Arrows seems complementary, especially Armor and Sword, and Faithless), a very different telling of the Arthur legend, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment of the King Alfred series. Cornwell just seems to work magic with the telling of historical fiction.

I also can't get enough of David Baldacci. If you like a good action suspense novel, he's your man. I'd recommend starting with Last Man Standing. Also, The Whole Truth will leave you wondering if you can trust anything you read or see in the media

I recently read The Last Kingdom and enjoyed it very much. I plan to read the rest of the Saxon series sometime soon.

If you like the Sharpe series, check out Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels or C. S. Forester's Horatio Hornblower series.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 21 2008, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (eguy @ Sep 19 2008, 09:20 AM)
I just did a search of this forum, and I'm glad to see a couple of references to Bernard Cornwell.  A friend gave me The Winter King two years back, and I've since read almost everything of his. I've even plunged into the voluminous Richard Sharpe series - I'm on the fifth book, and they continue to be engaging.  My favorite is still the Warlord Chronicles (Snakes & Arrows seems complementary, especially Armor and Sword, and Faithless), a very different telling of the Arthur legend, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment of the King Alfred series.  Cornwell just seems to work magic with the telling of historical fiction.

I also can't get enough of David Baldacci.  If you like a good action suspense novel, he's your man.  I'd recommend starting with Last Man Standing.  Also,  The Whole Truth will leave you wondering if you can trust anything you read or see in the media

I recently read The Last Kingdom and enjoyed it very much. I plan to read the rest of the Saxon series sometime soon.

If you like the Sharpe series, check out Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels or C. S. Forester's Horatio Hornblower series.

Thanks for the recommendations. Uhtred is a great character. Enjoy the rest of the series. trink39.gif

I see Tolkien and King are the most loved authors among Rush fans.

I list LOTR as one of me fav books ever (I am actually in the process of writing a PhD on it)? but I have never read anything by King - only seen the films and I ususally like them...

My other favourites are

Master and Margarita by Bulgakov

Anything and everything by Arkady & Boris Strugatsky. I hope someone here has heard of these geniuses of Soviet/Russian science fiction. Their books are the most profound and delicious read I have ever experienced. I am a devoted re-reader of books and I re-read the whole Strugarsky catalogue regularly and with great pleasure each and every time.

A lot of other Soviet/Russian sci-fi

Mostly everything by Viktor Pelevin (a modern Russian author)

1984 by Orwell

Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker series (not so hot on Dirk Gently)

Alasdair Grey's LANARK - one of my greatest Scottish finds! It was worth moving to Scotland just to find and read this beauty!

Can anyone tell me though, me being Russian and all, what is so amazing about Dostoyevsky? I know many Russian people who would like to know. Many of us just don't see the attraction, but we know he's hugely popular in the West...

Stephen King (Salem's Lot)

Stephen Abrose

Tolkien

Just to name a couple.

Here are a few of my favorites

The Belgariad/ Mallorean - Eddings

LOTR- Tolkien

Sword of Truth- Goodkind

Wheel of Time- Jordan (RIP, can't wait for the final installment, anyone know who is writing it?)

Song of Fire and Ice - Martin

My love for epic fantasy books is actually what drew me to Rush so thank god for books.

QUOTE (AnalogKid15 @ Jan 14 2009, 06:14 PM)

LOTR- Tolkien

Sword of Truth- Goodkind

Wheel of Time- Jordan (RIP, can't wait for the final installment, anyone know who is writing it?)

My love for epic fantasy books is actually what drew me to Rush so thank god for books.

Brandon Sanderson is completing Jordan's 12th book, "A Memory of Light." It is supposed to be completed this Fall, though I would tend to doubt that very much.

Nice resurrected thread, I'm always looking for something new to read.

Nice to see so much love for David Eddings, I discovered his books in college and still go back and re-read them now and then. A great story.

I don't have the patience for those George RR Martin books, started on them, but don't think I ever finished.

No one has mentioned the Katherine Kurtz Deryni series, if you like the Belgariad/Mallorean you will also like these. This series will also keep you busy, I think she wrote the first one in the 70's and she's still writing them.

If you like the Aurthurian stories, you would like Gillian Bradshaw's three book series Hawk of May, Kingdom of Summer and In Winters Shadow. They are out of print, but I found them on ebay.

Patricia Kenneally (sp?) wrote a neat series about King Arthur set in the future with spaceships, etc.. not a bad read.

Since I've been out of work, I've also decided to read the Harry Potter books and I love them. Wanted to see what all the kids were talking about and they are a good read for adults also.

And, at the risk of sounding like a chick, I love Jane Austen. I read some of her books again and again.

I'm also a secret fan of Chuck Klosterman's books, very funny.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Mar 4 2009, 01:26 PM)

LOTR- Tolkien

Sword of Truth- Goodkind

Brandon Sanderson is completing Jordan's 12th book, "A Memory of Light." It is supposed to be completed this Fall, though I would tend to doubt that very much.

thanks for that i don't know who that is but I heard someone close to Jordan picked him so I am sure he'll do a good job

QUOTE (AnalogKid15 @ Mar 9 2009, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Mar 4 2009, 01:26 PM)

LOTR- Tolkien

Sword of Truth- Goodkind

thanks for that i don't know who that is but I heard someone close to Jordan picked him so I am sure he'll do a good job

Jordan's wife, Harriet, selected Sanderson. Apparently Jordan conveyed a lot of his plans to Harriet in the form of notes and oral communications.

I used to read books voraciously, but only have sporadically in recent years. I would love to get back into it, but it just hasn't seemed to happen. Anyway, here's some of my all-time faves:

The Way Out Book - John-Roger

Illusions - Richard Bach

The Lord of the Rings trilogy - J.R.R. Tolkein

The Harry Potter series - J.K. Rowling

The Life of Mahatma Ghandi - Louis Fischer

Nine Hundred Grandmothers - R.A. Lafferty

Replay - Ken Grimwood

Out On A Limb - Shirley MacLaine

The Best of Robert Silverberg - Robert Silverberg

Initiation - Elisabeth Haich

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 21 2009, 08:39 AM)
I used to read books voraciously, but only have sporadically in recent years. I would love to get back into it, but it just hasn't seemed to happen. Anyway, here's some of my all-time faves:

The Way Out Book - John-Roger
Illusions - Richard Bach
The Lord of the Rings trilogy - J.R.R. Tolkein
The Harry Potter series - J.K. Rowling
The Life of Mahatma Ghandi - Louis Fischer
Nine Hundred Grandmothers - R.A. Lafferty
Replay - Ken Grimwood
Out On A Limb - Shirley MacLaine
The Best of Robert Silverberg - Robert Silverberg
Initiation - Elisabeth Haich

I think you posted a similar list before, and I made the same comments I'll make again:

Bach's "Illusions" is brilliant. I treat it as a kind of "Bible."

John-Roger is little better than a cult leader, a criminal, a hypocrite, and a harrasser of women. Look around and read more about him.