Toronto July 13th

Steve_888

I didnt see a Toronto thread so forgive me if one had been started.

Anyway, only my 3rd Rush so ever but man was it fun.

I decided to not look at the setlist, even though i knew they were gonna play MP and the 2 new songs, then before the show one of the people i went with let it slip that they were gonna do 2112.

But other than that i was totally in the dark and was pleasantly surprised, Marathon is a song Ive been so into lately, just been listening to it non stop so hearing it live was a total mind **** for me, pure awesomeness.

The 2nd set was just total bad ass in general.

I guess my only complaint is Stick It Out, but hey it isnt all that bad, a show is never gonna be 100% perfect, mainly because they have to stop by 11PM wink.gif

I love how before the show in the line outside all these tour vets are telling me how ill never get my camera in and that i shouldnt even try, guess what? i got dozens of pics to upload in the morning wink.gif

The only bad part of the night was captain bring down in our group.

My buddys uncle came with us, he had seen Rush live a bunch back in the day and hadnt gone since the PW tour. After the show all he could do was bitch saying how they totally faked the whole show and that they just played to a record all night..... as he called it "Rock Version of Milli Vanilli" The urge to kick his ass was strong.

But i didnt let him ruin the night and in the end it was GREAT!

Hope you all had a good a time as i did!

Third time seeing the boys for me. Alex Lifeson. The man was ON FIRE. Most underrated guitarist Ever, I swear. Geddy was hitting the high notes perfectly, especially on Freewill and Red Barchetta. Drum solo was awesome, Neil was awesome the whole night and the lights. The lights. THE LIGHTS! The lights made the show. They didnt use as much pyro as the last tour, but the lights were amazing. Great set list too, brought in some awesome songs like La Villa Strangiato, Marathon, etc. Even the newer songs sounded great. Intro video was great too, but a bit long. Only one complaint for the show, and it doesnt have anything to do with the show. When people were filing in, they played 3 songs on a loop: Aqualung by Jethro Tull, Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas and All along the Watchtower by Hendrix. Great songs, but hearing them all 8 times each got old eventually. Outro video was hilarous too. Tons of weed smoked as well, which is a neccessity. Was on the lawn but was still jaw droppingly epic. Thank you Geddy, Alex and Neil for continuing to leave me speechless, every time.

QUOTE (Steve_888 @ Jul 14 2010, 03:18 AM)
After the show all he could do was bitch saying how they totally faked the whole show and that they just played to a record all night..... as he called it "Rock Version of Milli Vanilli"  The urge to kick his ass was strong.

This.

I am the most devoted Rush fan I know. I have always defended them in every way. But this is partially true.

It really became apparent to me during the S&A tour. Alex will lip sync into the mic the prerecorded backup vocals of Geddy's. Maybe he is actually singing, who knows? But you can't hear it. There is the youtube vid of his amp going out during Far Cry and he leaves the mic to go check on it and the background "oooooo oooooohs" keep right on going. The have a lot of prerecorded tracks they use now and play along with the parts. I don't see Geddy or Alex or Neil triggering them. Do any of you?

But the bottom line is, it makes them more relaxed and have more time to interact with the crowd, and it sounds great. I don't really care. If that's what the need to do, so be it. They still sound better and are more tight and more fun to watch than any other band on the planet.

Edited by vital signz

I noticed pre-recorded guitar parts on some of the Snakes material last tour. Always noticed it on Bravado and other songs since the T4E tour.

It is what it is. It also sounds great though. Rush has always embraced technology and a ton of bands are using it to fill up the sound and make it as CD like quality as they can.

It is just a reality of live music today.

Bottom line is Rush are still doing the heavy lifting and playing hard each and every night.

*cough* Dead horse...

You must keep in mind that all 3 of them are tirggering different effects. I have it as fact from one of the production engineers that EVERY sound (except the videos on the screen as intros, etc.) is triggered by a member of Rush.

Yes - that means Neil is triggering guitar parts as well when it is necessary. What other band rehearses for months prior to a tour?

Milli Vanilli... wow... sometimes Rush fans really surprise me by their ignorance to technology.

Edited by Synthetic

Best concert I have ever been to in my life. This was my 9th time seeing the boys and it was the best one for sure. Everything was perfect. The sound was ace...best sound I've ever heard at a show.

My seats were killer, the crowd was WICKED, which was surprising! The lights were perfect, videos: hilarious!! All in all it was friggin' intense.

My only problem was the drum solo...he's had the same format since 1997...it's in dyer need of a complete revamp. I know Neil can do better than that, it is really getting stale jamming to the jazz track at the end and doing the same kick-tambourine-tambourine bit...PLEASE GOD SWITCH IT UP!

Other than that though...the boys were on fire! Neil dropped a stick and Ged fumbled the solo on Subdivisions however!

4.5/5

QUOTE (Synthetic @ Jul 14 2010, 10:23 AM)
*cough* Dead horse...

You must keep in mind that all 3 of them are tirggering different effects. I have it as fact from one of the production engineers that EVERY sound (except the videos on the screen as intros, etc.) is triggered by a member of Rush.

Yes - that means Neil is triggering guitar parts as well when it is necessary. What other band rehearses for months prior to a tour?

Milli Vanilli... wow... sometimes Rush fans really surprise me by their ignorance to technology.

Ignorance huh....

Not ignorant. Observant. 'Triggering' something means simply turning on a prerecorded digital track. That could be a patch recorded into a single key on a keyboard, or something that Neil smacks and, again, a prerecorded sample from the master shows up. The point is, it isn't ignorance to observe that. Huh...I just triggered my car stereo this morning when I turned on my Caravan CD.

I believe that the guys are setting the prerecorded parts in motion. BUt the point is the same, that the parts are just sampled from the masters and assigned to pads etc. Years ago, every note was played on Marathon, every Taurus pedal note played etc. THe observation is that it is just easier to do things these days and the band takes advantage of the technology. It isn't beating them up or saying it sucks. It is still the best music by the best musicians in the business and I don't mind it one bit. But it certainly isn't ignorance as you call it to observe it and point it out.

Most bands now adays have some sort of sampling going on. It doesn't matter if it's vocals, keys, guitar etc etc.

One of the biggest bands in the world U2 has recorded guitar parts and vocals going on. It might be subtle but you want to sound good live.

Bottom line, the more you do in the studio, the more you need to sample live to sound as close as the CD.

The feedback from the opening guitar line in Stick it Out was sampled back on the Counterparts tour for example, this is nothing new.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jul 14 2010, 09:35 AM)
*cough*

Years ago, every note was played on Marathon, every Taurus pedal note played etc.

This is where you're wrong.

RUSH have been using triggers and sampling since before Moving Pictures. Just in a different manner than they are today.

"Back in the day...." Marathon had just as much of the song sampled as it does today.. it was just executed differently.

Its just the nature of the band, there is only 3 of them to try and reproduce songs that were created in a studio. It's literally impossible for them to do. Without faking some stuff, they would sound very empty live, because the fact is without another guitarist and keyboard player, that's what a 3 piece is, an incomplete band by most standards.

So they need to trigger things to fill out the live sound. Some people arent a fan of this, others dont care at all. It doesnt matter to me. I understand that because of the lack of manpower on stage, some shit has to be milli-vanilli'd. Its either that or listen to a band that is unable to reproduce their own songs live, which wouldnt exactly go over well either.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jul 14 2010, 10:29 AM)
*cough*

Years ago, every note was played on Marathon, every Taurus pedal note played etc.

This is where you're wrong.

RUSH have been using triggers and sampling since before Moving Pictures. Just in a different manner than they are today.

"Back in the day...." Marathon had just as much of the song sampled as it does today.. it was just executed differently.

Very true...

Good Posting!

Yeah, someone stole my ticket and lanyard (holding the ticket) out of my purse.

Basically killed my night.

It was worth 10$ in cash but it would have meant a f***ing hell of a lot to keep that.

I thought the show was amazing, an improvement over the S&A tour in my opinion. Im glad they picked up the tempo vs the S&A tour as well.

I've seen rush on each tour since vapour trails and this show was my favourite. Can't wait for Saturday at the ACC.

My only complaint was the crowd in my section (304). Through most of the 1st set everyone around us sat down, which is cool, do what you want but don't expect me to sit just because you are. A guy came and tapped me on the shoulder asking me to sit down. I told the gentleman sorry, but I'm not sitting, this is a Rush concert. I'll try to stand out of the way, but I'm not sitting down. I apologized but no way was I giving in. I felt bad and bought the guy a beer which he appreciated.

I noticed a lot of section 303 and section 304 were sitting. Everywhere else I looked people were standing for the whole show.

QUOTE (Padfoot @ Jul 14 2010, 05:14 PM)
Yeah, someone stole my ticket and lanyard (holding the ticket) out of my purse.

Basically killed my night.

It was worth 10$ in cash but it would have meant a f***ing hell of a lot to keep that.

Wow. I would cry. Honestly.