The Law of Attraction

Gompers

Maybe some of you have heard about this. I have been reading up on it and tend to be on the side that it actually works. And the reality here is if it doesn't, it creates a more positive person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Attraction

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 13 2010, 12:48 PM)
Maybe some of you have heard about this. I have been reading up on it and tend to be on the side that it actually works. And the reality here is if it doesn't, it creates a more positive person.

That was interesting. From the parts I read anyway. That was a heavy read for 6:50 in the morning. My brain starting to deflate around the, "Principle in Quantum Mechanics" part.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/icon_hmm.gif

Ask. Believe. Receive.

I'll go check but I have a feeling Alex Lifeson is still not on my doorstep.

How would this work for non-wealthy westerners? Say, for instance, a woman living in a strict Muslim society in the Middle East ph34r.gif , a family living under a North Korean dictatorship, or a child living on the edge of a garbage dump in Guatemala?

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jul 14 2010, 07:04 AM)
How would this work for non-wealthy westerners? Say, for instance, a woman living in a strict Muslim society in the Middle East ph34r.gif , a family living under a North Korean dictatorship, or a child living on the edge of a garbage dump in Guatemala?

I think a lot of people could confuse this theory that all they have to do is wish for something and it will come true. I'm not quite following the logic.

The Law of Attraction, what's your take

My take is that Neil might write a song about this soon. smile.gif

Then again, since one of the steps is "Believe" and Neil clearly doesn't "have faith in faith" maybe not.

Utter bunkum at best and potentially dangerous at worst. A premise needs considerably more supporting evidence than random coincidence to advance to the point of "theory", never mind "Law".

Though few would argue that attitude influences behavior, and frequently that relationship is a causal one.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 14 2010, 09:15 AM)
QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jul 14 2010, 07:04 AM)
How would this work for non-wealthy westerners? Say, for instance, a woman living in a strict Muslim society in the Middle East  ph34r.gif , a family living under a North Korean dictatorship, or a child living on the edge of a garbage dump in Guatemala?

I think a lot of people could confuse this theory that all they have to do is wish for something and it will come true. I'm not quite following the logic.

It's all about "thinking" yourself into a better situation/position and that in so doing you will "cosmically" draw like-minded thinkers to yourself and thus...tada...only good things (health, wealth and prosperity) can result. When everyone around you is in the same shit situation (menmtioned in last post) and that situation is pretty much as good as it's going to get, how would the "Law of Attraction' work in that case? It is, after all, a proposed "Law" ....just like gravity, so it should be universal.

To a certain extent, thought does influence action.

If you think you will do poorly in a competition, chances are you've beaten yourself psychologically already and hence your performance is shite.

Etc.

Edited by Mrs. Huck Rogers

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jul 14 2010, 10:22 AM)

If you think you will do poorly in a competition, chances are you've beaten yourself psychologically already and hence your performance is shite.

Etc.

Yes, I agree. It goes along with what Janie said, you can't stay in your house all day and expect Mr. Right to ring your doorbell, but that is far different than stating/believing that there exists a "Law of Attraction" that is engaged through "positive thinking". I've often said that atheism is easy to believe when you're a Christopher Hitchens who lives in a free society and sells the idea to others for profit. The same goes for the 'think personal health, wealth & prosperity into actualization' message from Oprah, Rhonda Byrne and Joel Osteen. It's real easy to believe 'your version of truth' when you have a fan base that adores you for it and you live in freedom and luxury to boot! Honest, critical questioning will always show something for what it's really worth and any 'health, wealth & prosperity' message, no matter the package heading, falls apart too quickly under critical questioning for me to buy.

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jul 14 2010, 11:22 AM)

Etc.

To a certain degree, coincidence comes into play. I do believe though that there is something to this however. Keeping a positive attitude brings goodness. You can take just about any bad circumstance and find something good about it. Of all people I personally know, as well, I tend to find that optimists attract optimists and the same goes for pessimists. This isn't to say there is no instance of the intermingling. Generally, like attracts like.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 14 2010, 03:26 PM)

Etc.

To a certain degree, coincidence comes into play. I do believe though that there is something to this however. Keeping a positive attitude brings goodness. You can take just about any bad circumstance and find something good about it. Of all people I personally know, as well, I tend to find that optimists attract optimists and the same goes for pessimists. This isn't to say there is no instance of the intermingling. Generally, like attracts like.

isn't Karma based on the same principals? What you put out you get back. I agree with this mentality.

Sit in a corner and say "life sucks" every day and I doubt you'll go far. If you say "I'm gonna do something about the shit I'm in right now" and reinforce positive actions, good shit happens to you. Its simple.

But you are the one making things happen. Not "the universe".

Successful people surround themselves with other successful people, not losers and shitbags. That's why the rich get righer and the poor sit around going "Dammit, I wish I could sue somebody."

Make your life worthwile. Lost your job. Buy a bucket and some rags and go wash windows. Bake cookies and go door to door to businesses and sell them. Or buy an eight ball, add some sorbitol and split it up into little $40 baggies and make a killing.

forget that last part....

Now I just listened to another one of these laws referred to as the Law of Allowance. It talks about removing resistance in your life and going with the flow. It is in order with the Law of Attraction.

Link

Etc.

At least you'll be happy. smile.gif

It reminds me of the optimistic kid who got a room full of horse crap for Christmas and gleefully started digging while saying, "That pony has to be in here somewhere!"

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jul 29 2010, 05:38 PM)

Etc.

It reminds me of the optimistic kid who got a room full of horse crap for Christmas and gleefully started digging while saying, "That pony has to be in here somewhere!"

BTW, I agree with you that optimists attract optimists. What optimistic person wants to be around her?

http://www.catalogs.com/info/bestof/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/debbie_downer.jpg

Edited by workingcinderellaman

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jul 29 2010, 06:38 PM)

Etc.

That is an awesome twist on what some would see on a less than desirable situation. I will admit, optimism has not been something I have been good at but I will change this in my life. Practicing good thoughts will make this happen.

Apparently this whole Law of Attraction thing is what "The Secret" is about.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 30 2010, 05:33 AM)
Apparently this whole Law of Attraction thing is what "The Secret" is about.

Correct.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 13 2010, 02:48 PM)

The Law of Attraction says that which is like unto itself is drawn.

Sorry, buddy, but I have to call BS. This "law" of attraction runs directly counter to the already proven and much older law which states that opposites attract. You should avoid this muddy-headed new age pseudo science.

OK guys, the most magical profound thing happened to me, and I just ran into my cousin (intelligent, insightful guy) who teaches Dale Carnegie triaining in North Carolina and he said it's called "The law of attraction". I found this site which explains it very well:

(below is a link)

First of all, if you don't believe in small miracles and you don't believe in superhuman powers and the supernatural type stuff or at least believe your life can improve you'll never allow yourself to benefit from this stuff. It's better for you to live your life your way because you know everything and everything's perfect in your life. I decided to change my life after a series of epiphanies were too crazy to ignore.I f you have often wondered (like me) why other people were successful at things that you couldn't do well or be successful at you may be able to do something about it, and the results will blow you away!!!

Let me first start off with the fact I've always wanted to do something huge with my life, ever since i was a little kid. I wanted to be Batman, Underdog, and superheros of that nature. Later in life I wanted to be a magician or a rockstar. I wanted to feel that energy. I never could figure out why it seemed impossible to become "another neil peart" for example. People were telling me I was the best, people believed in me, but problems in my childhood development which manifested itself into speech problems hurt my self esteem and ability to grow. Also, I had a fear of monsters under my bed and an irrational fear of dying. For some reason those fears and lack of confidence stayed with me like demons on my back until just last week, and I'm 44 (almost 45) years old! One of the biggest setbacks was when my parents sent me to college for anything i wanted except music. They discouraged me from music. So, of course, I developed all kinds of physical and mental illnesses that prohibited me from becoming who I wanted and so desperately needed to become. I spun my wheels for ten years straight trying to educate myself but changed majors seven times and never graduated me. That haunted me badly..

Panic disorder: One of the ways it manifested itself was in a panic disorder. A panic disorder is a really bad anxiety disorder and it causes real symptoms that feel worse than a heart attack and make you believe you're going to die for sure. Anyone that has had a panic attack can tell you they're not triggered by any specific event, they just come out of the blue and they feel like they're killing you. ANd they WILL KILL YOU INSIDE! I lived with it for years before I knew how to manage with it. The main reason I couldn't succeed in my college years was because of the things that I mentioned and also a drinking problem slowed me down even further making it impossible to do simple chores around the house, let alone go out. I had to fake it thru my life and pretend i was happy. To give you an analogy just picture my life as a train. My train kept falling off the tracks and people kept telling me I needed to put only good coal in the chamber to make it run good. I believed that for thirty years. So every time the train derailed I just cleaned out the coal chamber and put fresh coal in it for a while, but for some unknown reason it kept falling off the track. And even though my job is to find the root cause of problem (we use the 8 discipline problem solving method) I didn't even know my wheels were broken on my train. It took me three huge epiphanies to figure out all I had to do was fix the wheels and everything could be possible, including never falling off the tracks ever again and getting where i wanted and needed so badly to go!

Epiphany one: 1988 - I had an overwhelming feeling something really bad was going to happen to me one day while driving with a friend of mine. He suggested I put on my seat belt and keep it on. If I didn't say anything to him about it or didn't listen to him I would have died at that accident. Ironically, Bill was driving to work the next morning and noticed my florida license plate on my minivan and stopped because my car was totaled and he thought he lost me. All I remember was a car crossing the road out of nowhere and the next thing I knew, I woke up and was looking at Bill. He was standing right there asking if I was alright. It looked like a sign, but I hadn't fixed the wheels on my train so i slipped back after a while into my crappy patterns again. Then I had one in 1996. I felt I had to stop drinking and smoking or I would die for sure. I was great for a six months then a cold canadian brew called my name and i reached out and sipped it. So I went right back to the same old system: put fuel in the coal chamber and it would keep running. It would run in circles but it never got anywhere. But then, just last week...

I had my third epiphany, but this one was different... In one week I found out my dad (also my employer) was selling his company to retire. I felt very insecure and lost, so I started looking for another job. I couldn't find a good one so I felt trapped. Then a couple days later I went to the doctor and found out i had diverticulosis, a disease (curable by diet) of my colon. I lost 19 pounds in one week and thought it could be colon cancer or some other deadly disease. Then a third thing that happened: My 102 year old grandmother was suddenly on her death bed.

While I was sobering up (antibiotics forced that) and deprived from food I thought was fortifying (steak and potatoes) the craziest thing happened to me. I looked into all the screwing up i did in college, talked to my sister in law about it and she told me to just let it go. So I finally did. Sounds very small and insignificant, I know, but I had to try something different because nothing else had ever helped me. I accepted my past failures and accepted I am unable to drink like other people are able to without a problem, and I got this feeling of sudden clarity that felt magical beyond words!! My soul had been cleansed and this was stuff I knew I had no control over but I hadn't accepted them and let them go. That's a HUGE step, trust me.

So all of the sudden I knew who I was and where I was going for the first time in my life. To people who have it together and always have if probably sounds like a bunch of simplistic B.S. smoke and mirrors. IT's not. For the first time in my life I'm not running from anything, and there's no pain to kill, so all the negative things that keep me from succeeded fell off my back like evil spirits I never knew were even there or how they got there! I used to feel stupid and incapable of anything great, but now that I've reached me "final state" my mind and body is free to do great things. My life was this huge, confusing, nearly impossible puzzle and I had locked myself up in prison not knowing I had the key the whole time. And I know all those years I used to perceive as wasted were just weights that pulled me down super far and hard on my catapult of life that is ready to be released so I can fly super fast and far. I all of the sudden feel so clear headed, and I know it can't be from just not drinking for a few days. It's the pain I didn't know I was carrying around with me for almost half a century. That's why my "AHA Moment" was such a dramatic feeling to my mind and body. All of the sudden I feel smart and no longer alienated from the world.

And now I am in the process of taking all the tiny pieces of my life that never made a picture before but is clear as day now, and aligning myself to the universe to allow the RIGHT seeds to grow, and stop putting weed killer on them thinking they're doing to die anyway.

Numbers: I have magic numbers that keep coming up in my mind and have been my whole life.

3,6, and 8. The most special number is 3. And I also noticed there are THREE numbers. These are clues to the blueprint of my life that I never tried to assemble and crack the code on, but now I am. And the six and eight both divide equally by three. No, the eight doesn't in whole numbers but one octave (8) is divided in thirds, so these numbers all relate to each other. I then took my three epiphanies and assembled numbers that, in the real world, could land me some serious cash: The mega millions jackpot. It just so happens that there are six numbers you must match to win big, which are all double digit numbers. But when I assembled the numbers, there were three that were non-playable, so all I did was take combinations of the other numbers that I know are significant to ME and substitute those numbers. I have a feeling I'm going to win so I'm playing all three of these. This is part of what's called "aligning yourself to the universe". But I didn't stop there. I knew there were at least three ways I could win in the game of life, and I know that now my barriers are off so I am free to pursue those things. The second seed I'm planting is I'm writing songs and getting them published. I am using my lessons and this strange phenomenon to teach other people they can excel in whatever they want to do, by teaching them through songs. My keen sense of humor caused by all the negative experiences in my life has given me what I think is great skill in songwriting. My first one is called "three legged dog chow", for example, which is a metaphorical message that you can screw your life up for stupid weird reasons but fix it and live a great life. The dog in the song starts eating his leg and in his own mind cripples himself but finds out in the third verse that he actually has four legs still so he licks his wounds clean and runs through the field freely like he always loved to do as a puppy. It just so happened I was recruited for a blues-rock band a few weeks ago (coincidence) and it's a perfect platform to make my first mark of many. The third one is I am going to write a book about my whole experience because I have a strong urge to help people understand that their happy lives can be realised if you learn about yourself and how to align yourself to the universe.

You guys can skoff all you want but I know in my heart that a seed is going to grow and I'm going to use that (and my grandmother dying) as a springboard for great successes beyond my former self's wildest imagination.

I will report back later. This stuff is for real guys. I'm not trying to sell you on it. I don't even know the guy who threw this site together, but here it is below. I wanna know if anyone else ever felt these powers like I have, in such a strong way..

This is it: abundance and happiness

Edited by the masked drummer

GREAT post The masked drummer!!! heart.gif it!!!

I am a firm believer of the law of attraction.

Focus your attention on that which you want, and the universe answers....

it's energy.

That which you focus your attention on the universe brings to you.

BUT...

you have to be an energetic vibrational match to it.

attitude is everything.

when you know what you don't want, you then know what you Do want. Focus on that which you DO want in your life.

Appreciate that which is given. REGARDLESS of what it is (positive or negative)

For the positive or negative is really all a matter of your own perception is it not?

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 14 2010, 05:55 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 13 2010, 12:48 PM)

That was interesting. From the parts I read anyway. That was a heavy read for 6:50 in the morning. My brain starting to deflate around the, "Principle in Quantum Mechanics" part.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/icon_hmm.gif

Ask. Believe. Receive.

I'll go check but I have a feeling Alex Lifeson is still not on my doorstep.

Yeah, I'll be checking to see if Geddy is on the stairs waiting for me when I get home...

I'll let you guys know.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif