This tour is AWESOME.....

syd11

I'm really getting pissed at all the bitching about the setlist on the Time Machine tour. Hey people get over it and realize how awesome this actually is. Whether or not you like the band's choices of songs on the first leg of this tour...you are missing the big picture. Maybe you're not a fan of Presto or Faithless or whatever but that's to one's own preference.

The fact that Rush is digging deep but maybe not hitting your "must hear" songs is irrelevant. On the S&A tour they played two legs but only tweeked the setlist slightly for the second leg. For those of us that will be lucky enough to catch them twice on this tour it could be epic. We got to hear what is arguably their greatest album in it's entirety with 2 new songs being played. Next year we get to hear at least 5+ (most likely) new songs plus whatever changes they make to the setlist. You can count on them dropping 3 or 4 of the MP songs and that makes room for more songs such as JL which I believe will resurface next year. To me it was brutal dealing with the slight changes and still having to go through the same 5 new songs on last tour's 2nd set. I think 2011's tour will rock for the simple fact that I think we're guaranteed to at least 6 or more changes. These guys won't be around forever and I choose to enjoy what I get instead of bitch about what could have been. Bring on the bitchin' guys. trink39.gif

*SPOILER ALERT*

I guess it depends on what you consider 'classic'.

To a lot of fans, early-mid 80's IS "classic", being that those are well over 20 years old.

Working Man, LaVilla, Freewill, Spirit, Closer to the Heart, 2112... even not taking all of MP into account, they still did a pretty decent job of representing the "classics", in my book at least. Maybe they weren't the classics some people wanted, but that's how it goes.

Wasn't Camera Eye one of the biggest 'wish-list' songs on various Rush forums around the net? For years? They not only did it, they included the whole freakin' album.

I honestly just don't see a lot of reason to complain about the setlist, really. But, different strokes and all that. smile.gif It's obviously impossible for a band with this wide a catalog to be able to please every fan 100%.

QUOTE (DetachedandSubdivided @ Jul 11 2010, 12:52 PM)
It's obviously impossible for a band with this wide a catalog to be able to please every fan 100%.

That's it... the loudest whiners are the ones who wanted the set 100% their way and anything else was going to prompt a tantrum.

When the band didn't represent only the "right" albums, and only the "right" songs from the right albums, those all-or-nothing fans hit the roof with ridiculousness like:

"how dare a "Time Machine" tour play anything after (insert last 20+ year-old album liked by whiner)

"Alex said three months ago in an interview they were playing (X), and they changed their minds, the lying bastards"

"They picked song (x) from album (y) instead of song (z)?? It's a tragedy!!"

"They didn't follow my 27-track setlist song-for-song.. they obviously don't care about their fans!"

and on and on and on and... eyesre4.gif

You can't please all the people all of the time...or in this case most of the people any of the time. Get over it and enjoy. They could have retired and you could be reliving the glory years through R30 and Rush in Rio etc...

cool.gif

I love just about any rush song and I don't completely hate Faithless, but the more i listen to it, its boring and depressing to me....

On the other hand, We Hold On, is exotic with awesome alex guitars and a mean neil drum section, would have loved for that one instead.....

for me, most of this setlist is been there, done that.....even songs that i really love, like time stand still, i would have picked prime mover, open secrets, turn the page instead....

instead of marathon, another one that i have been there, done that....what about middletown dreams or territories....

I could on and on.....Afterimage, Cold Fire....Countdown is an awesome song but hasn't been played since radio city 83......

As I have said a million times on the other board, I still don't get why they won't do medley's anymore.....you can please those who want a whole bunch of stuff and just bang out 90 seconds of this and that....for like 10-15 minutes, people would go nuts, at least i would, although i know there are those who hate the idea of a medley.....

you could play 90 seconds of AFTK, 90 of any part of hemispheres, 90 of xanadu, 90 of the trees, you get the idea.....

QUOTE (syd11 @ Jul 11 2010, 12:27 AM)
Maybe you're not a fan of Presto or Faithless or whatever but that's to one's own preference.

Well, I for one was absolutely SHOCKED and THRILLED to hear them bust out those tunes in Milwaukee. The idea that they just randomly dusted off a 20 year-old tune that had never been played before (Presto) tells me that fans can never take anything for granted, and I think that adds to the excitment. Not to mention I absolutely love the song. What a blast I had hearing it at the show!

Similarly, I would not have expected them to drop a S&A tune that didn't make either leg of the S&A tour. Very cool surprise. All the better that it is my 2nd favorite tune off the album (next to MalNar.)

But aside from my editorial commentary, I think syd11 makes a really good point about how subsequent legs are likely to evolve in terms of working-in more new material. Certain older tunes are going to get axed, and the deeper tracks tend to be the likely candidates. We should enjoy them while we have them, especially since the band is playing so ferociously.

QUOTE (InvisibleAirwaves13 @ Jul 11 2010, 06:46 PM)
You can't please all the people all of the time...or in this case most of the people any of the time. Get over it and enjoy. They could have retired and you could be reliving the glory years through R30 and Rush in Rio etc...

cool.gif

Definitely! They could have hung it all up after T4E and we'd be sitting here searching for elusive bootleg recordings and whining about hoarders like we did on other boards after the T4E album came out! (not that some of us don't STILL do that!)t

They're touring! I'm going to a show, yay!

I don't care what they play! They have plenty material to choose from, and they've changed it up every single tour that I've seen them! If it keeps them out there touring, and they don't get complacent with their choices in music, it's all good!