Indoor vs. Outdoor Venues

Lerxst

I've attended two Rush concerts at outdoor venues. After dealing with rain, heat, humidity, etc., I am thankful that this year I can see them at an indoor facility.

Is it just me, or does Rush seem to prefer outdoor venues?

Is it because of acoustics?

Are outdoor venues more profitable?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading somewhere a few years ago that Rush prefers the outdoor venues due to the humidity and heat being helpful for Geddy's voice and their muscles and joints for playing. Personally, I don't mind seeing them outdoors. I saw them at Molson Amphitheatre and the Air Canada Centre in Toronto on the S&A Tour, and I thought the Amphitheatre was the better show due to a much more energized crowd and the band were on fire too.

But overall, I prefer indoors. Very good sound, and the light show is more effective. However, I am not against seeing them outdoors again.

i've seen Rush six time since 2002 5 of them was outside and the lone one was inside and i must say outside was alot better imo

There's just something about summer and outdoor concerts that makes me smile.gif

I've mostly seen Rush in outdoor ampitheaters -- only once inside and I was pretty far away. Definitely prefer the outdoor venues

I have found that the Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto is a pretty good outside venue. The majority of the seats are covered and the side panels protect the sound from wind. Also because it is right by the lake it is a bit cooler in the summer.

Fortunately I'll be seeing the boys at both Toronto venues biggrin.gif

QUOTE (gord0912 @ Jul 10 2010, 12:47 PM)
I have found that the Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto is a pretty good outside venue.  The majority of the seats are covered and the side panels protect the sound from wind.  Also because it is right by the lake it is a bit cooler in the summer.
Fortunately I'll be seeing the boys at both Toronto venues  biggrin.gif

I'll be seeing Rush at both venues in Toronto this tour. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif And I've seen them once at the Molson Ampitheatre (outdoor) and once at the Air Canada Centre (indoor) and it's really apples to oranges. The Molson Amp offers the great atmosphere of an outdoor setting, while the ACC offers superior sound. Sound tends to get carried by the wind on outdoor venues, whereas it is all contained in an arena. Because of that, I'd choose the ACC. But you really can't compare with the atmosphere of an outdoor venue. Because of that, I'd choose Molson. Luckily, I don't have to choose -- I'll get the best of both worlds. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Lerxst @ Jul 10 2010, 07:22 AM)
I've attended two Rush concerts at outdoor venues. After dealing with rain, heat, humidity, etc., I am thankful that this year I can see them at an indoor facility.

Is it just me, or does Rush seem to prefer outdoor venues?
Is it because of acoustics?
Are outdoor venues more profitable?

Indoors for so many reasons. Comfort, sound, darkness, no bugs, no heat, no bad weather to worry about, no smoking allowed (see it more outdoors all of the time), every band I see sounds and looks better INDOORS. Outdoor venues are for profit only and on the cheap with the herd on the lawn.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Outdoor shows have a very unique energy to them.

The crowd is typically more energetic, something about being outside which really enhances the experience IMO.

Indoor shows though, for a band like RUSH cannot be beat.

From the first note of the first song until the end of the encore you can actually SEE the entire production. The lights, the video, the effects.

They all stand out so much more in the darkness of an arena.

This is why I'm glad I'm seeing at least one of each on this tour.

I cannot wait until CBus next month biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jul 10 2010, 12:19 PM)
Outdoor shows have a very unique energy to them.
The crowd is typically more energetic, something about being outside which really enhances the experience IMO.

I've seen "only" 8 shows, 3 indoor and 5 outdoor, and I'd say outdoor for the above reason. It does help if the concert starts after sundown so the vid screens are more clearly seen right away. Fortunately I'll be seing them outdoors Oct 1-2 and it should be dark by then trink38.gif

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay

I've seen Rush twice, in indoor arenas. I didn't think that Rush had a preference for the outdoors. But I could be wrong. This tour will be outdoors, apparently. I prefer indoors; their laser light show is show much better indoors.

BTW, I'm happy to be here at TRF.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Ive seen them 13 times, all at various indoor arenas, and outside twice, and I definitely prefer them indoors.

Its dark for the entire set, the lighting looks cooler, the sound doesnt have anywhere to escape so it has a lot more punch to it. I dont like seeing them outdoor very much, the sound is too empty for me.

You have the different factors affect the business side of things when dealing with scheduling with professional sports and such. in that case, outdoor sheds get the nod.

I don't prefer one over the other but in terms of weather, indoors is obviously where its at.

Even when a pavilion has uncovered seats like Jones Beach you have to deal with the rains. After seeing the devastation in Chicago, I'm actually kind of glad I didn't make the trip down to Jones Beach since there are uncovered seats only in the pavilion. But covered or uncovered, mother nature doesn't discriminate in the least when delivering the bad weather.

The VT Nissan (now Jiffy Lube) Pavilioin show I attended had a massive rain storm during it and I'm extremely thankful after seeing what happened this week that it took place without incident.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 10 2010, 08:11 PM)
Ive seen them 13 times, all at various indoor arenas, and outside twice, and I definitely prefer them indoors.

Its dark for the entire set, the lighting looks cooler, the sound doesnt have anywhere to escape so it has a lot more punch to it. I dont like seeing them outdoor very much, the sound is too empty for me.

spot on, imo. goodpost.gif

Last indoor Rush show I attended was Continental Airline Arena in NJ for T4E- it was sold out. The second leg of that tour saw them outdoors at PNC in NJ - was a better show for some reason. Will see them in the new arena in Pitt on 16 September and then 18 September in DC. I will pay attention to note any differences. I prefer the outdoor shows for some reason. Last indoor show was AC/DC in Buffalo. Wonder what they would have like to see outdoors?

2.gif

I would lean towards the outdoor venues . I have seen RUSH 12 times indoor and 7 times outdoor. Unfortunately the sound at the San Diego Sports Arena was not that good back in the day, it's better now. The sound indoors at the Bell Centre in Montreal was great. The light shows seem more powerful indoors no doubt but they can usually have more elaborate video screens outdoors and the sound at these modern amphitheaters is great. Living in San Diego gives me an unfair bias to outdoor venues. I saw RUSH on the edge of the water in Mission Bay on a warm spring evening and several times in my hometown of Chula Vista on perfect nights, weather wise and only 5 miles from my house. The outdoor venue in Irvine, CA has given me some of the best sounding RUSH shows I have attended.

I've seen Rush 17 times now. Approx. 11 indoors and 6 outdoors.

Indoors is better as far as the light show for the 1st set. No need to

adjust the setlist because of sunlight. But I have to admit that I've

heard good and bad sound qualities from both types of venues.

Depending on where your sitting, indoor venues can echo a lot which

is annoying as hell. But outdoor venues can suck if it's raining and

you are sitting in lawn seats or have to run for a beer or bathroom

break. Overall, with weather permitting I think I enjoy the outdoor

events more for the crowd vibe. I know for me in Wisconsin there's

nothing like Rush playing during Summerfest at the lake front!

biggrin.gif 1022.gif 653.gif trink39.gif

I have only seen 2.gif four times on the last tour in '08 and all four were outdoors. This tour I am seeing them at the Gibson Amphitheater which is, I believe an indoor arena in LA so it will be great to compare. I am also seeing them at Irvine which is an outdoor venue.

The vibe of their outdoor shows can't be beat and fortunately the Tampa show isn't until October this year so the weather should be great!!!

This will be the first show in a long time for me indoors...will have to decide then, but i like it being dark for the whole show for one thing.

I think it really just depends on the venue. I personally prefer indoor venues just because the ones near me (Madison Square Garden, which has great sound, and Radio City, which is just fabulous) are quite good and very easy for me to get to (just hop on the subway!) while the outdoor arenas (Jones Beach which is a hellhole and PNC which isn't bad but is quite out of the way) simply don't measure up. But if I lived in, for instance, Denver, I'd certainly want Red Rocks over any kind of arena. That place is spectacular.

No way! Outdoor Venues sucks but I will go anywhere to see my favorite band play. (especially Red Rocks!)

On that note I do have one bone to pick when it comes to the outdoor venue.

Why does Rush always play "Spirit Of Radio" when the sun is still out?

That "Concert Hall" lighting flash doesn't work well unless it's either at night or done in an indoor venue.

Indoors is the only way to "Fly By Night."

2.gif

I prefer the outdoor shows as long as it doesn't rain.The larger crowds(Quebec summer fest) seems to make the Artists more appreciated and they in return often react to it.Feels like there is more Energy to the show.The sound is usually good if up close.

Downside of exterieur concerts are the limited amounts of Toilets and then trying to return to your unreserved spot!