How did RUSH hook you?

osage2112

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 9 2010, 01:40 PM)
hook, line, sinker............. fly by night on 8 track.

1979 10th grade free enterprise class.

assignment to create a business model and explain yada yada yada.

My friend and I set up an insurance company. I was not aware of rush at the time. I came up with the name as a joke and called it the Fly By Night Insurance Company. My friend a Rush fan, suggested we make a radio ad using the song FBN as our intro to our dialog...anyhow..

He left his album at my house and I listened to it for a week and I've been on the bandwagon since.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

It was study hall in high school, circa 1979 when my friend and I would play hangman to pass the time. He was a huge Rush fan and insisted on using Rush song titles for his hangman solutions. I had never heard of them would often exclaim things like "what the hell is Didacts and Narpets!!!"

Then came that fateful night when I heard the beginning of 'The Trees' on WYSP and that was that. I bought 'All the Worlds a Stage' and went to the Philadelphia concert in 1980!

Since then, as Niel once said, Rush has been the soundtrack of my life...

Thanks for letting me share...

Hearing Working Man on WMMS radio out of Cleveland. I was 14. I remember that I had to buy a ticket for a friend that drove to go see them at the Cleveland Agora Decmeber of that year. I was REALLY hooked after that!

From what my parents tell me when I was about a year and a half old, I would scream every morning until one of them put Red Barchetta on the turn table. To this day it's still my favorite Rush song. And I still listen to it at least three times a week. It's one of those songs I just get lost in.

I was pretty young. Some neighbor kids brought over 2112 while my parents were holding a church function up stairs. When that needle dropped and the beginning of 2112 began, I was hooked for life! It was a heck of alot better than the disco crapp my sisters played!

Then I bought my own copy with my paper route money. And when Signals was realesed, I bought my own concert ticket. That was my first time seeing them. Rory Gallegher opened up. Ill never forget that night! I was 14 and had the time of my life!

I was 14 and had moved to an apartment complex, made some friends. Two of which were Rush fans. Mike Galligan and Jerry Darrencamp. Mike was a year older then me and Jerry was 21. At the time i was into Quiet Riot,Van Halen etc.. and was learning guitar. At that time i knew who Rush was but that was about it.

Mike and i used to take our lunch money on the weekends and get a case of Budweiser which Jerry would get for us. He always had Rush playing on his boom box but i really never paid any attention to it until one night we were back behind the apartments, Drinking our Budweiser and listening to ATWAS. Then i heard it...... the drum solo. From that moment on i knew that's what i wanted to do, play drums....... and play them like that.

Obviously, i had no idea at the time of the goal i set before me.

Shortly after that, Mike copied Moving Pictures,Grace under Pressure and Hemispheres for me.I then realized not only was the drumming great but so was the music and i was merely following the heard before that because the music made scene and fit my outlooks.

Still remember it like it was Yesterday

I wasnt into the regular stuff as a kid,teenager @ mid,70's so they just caught my ear. I wouldnt say I am the super fan as many are on here but they are one of my top 5 bands. I like something from every thing they have done. Guess that why I like them.

The Presto tour. My first concert. I didnt even know who they were. I was 16. I thought the lead singer was a chick. No shit.

My friend had an extra seat so I went. Listened to a little of Presto on the way to the show. That was all I knew of them.

They blew me away. I didnt even know there were bands like that. I had never heard or seen anything like it.

Favorite band ever since.

At a Spanish class party in 81, John Snyder brought a new record. It was Moving Pictures. I remember asking him who it was, checking out the LP cover, etc. Thought it was great stuff...BUT I didn't immediately get hooked. It was more of just filing away the name for future reference. I guess I was more focused on The Who & The Police at the time.

But here's what really grabbed me for good: 4 years later, I was 19 and had just started working in radio. It was a top 40 station, so it was exciting anytime we got some good new rock to play. I will never forget playing The Big Money for the 1st time and the huge BOOM! of that opening chord blasting in our control room. VERY loudly. I felt like the guy in the old Memorex ads.

THAT'S what finally got through to me.

My dad used to play Spirit of Radio, Red Barchetta, and Analog Kid in a band in high school. He showed me those three songs (Analog Kid was first) and the rest is history. If it weren't for Rush I have no idea what I'd be doing now... I was listening to smooth jazz of all things before that, and Rush got me serious about playing drums which launched me into a whole new way of life and music for me.

Thanks 2.gif ! 1022.gif

I remember as a kid in the late-70's hearing Fly By Night and Closer To The Heart on the radio and liking both and they were different than everything else, but for a while I had no idea who it was. Then in 1980 (I was 12) I heard The Spirit Of Radio and Freewill and I was floored. The hook was set. (and I was amazed that this was the same band that did FBN and CTTH...they got better...a LOT better...) I remember hearing 2112 for the first time around then, too. Then Moving Pictures came out, which of course was mind-blowing. That was followed by Exit...Stage Left. After that I had to start playing guitar.

Red Barchetta. More specifically the riff during "well weathered leather, hot metal and oil." I just remember thinking "this is nothing like the power chord rock I've been listening to..." Then when I heard The Trees I was hopelessly obsessed.

Xanadu on Exit Stage..... Left smile.gif

QUOTE (AVman9 @ Jul 14 2010, 07:18 PM)
Red Barchetta. More specifically the riff during "well weathered leather, hot metal and oil." I just remember thinking "this is nothing like the power chord rock I've been listening to..." Then when I heard The Trees I was hopelessly obsessed.

Well weathered leather, hot men and oil...

It was so long ago - at least 35 years - that I've forgotten how I got hooked. I think it was Caress of Steel, Fountain of Lamneth. 2112 clinched it. Something like that.

K

Was about 20 years ago and i heard the moving pictures album. First thing i noticed was the vocals ,gedds voice stood out. Never heard rush before. I borrowed the cd and started listening to it in the car and started to really take notice of the music. Alexes guitar and geddys bass and neils drums just stood out. It was rock music like i had never heard before.I remember when i got home from band practice taking the cd out of the car and bringing it inside the house to play. I decided to read the words to the songs and the first song i read was "Witch Hunt" after that my whole world of music was changed again.(the first being The Beatles). Talk about good song writing and drumming. That was it there and then.

A local cd store had used copies of Fly By Night, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures, which I bought for a total of $10. I loved the singles I heard on the radio, and pretty much only listened to those songs when I bought the cds.

Until one day I let Permanent Waves play all the way through, and Natural Science came on, and my brain melted.

Archived