How did RUSH hook you?

osage2112

First hook was DEFINITELY MOVING PICTUES.

1981. About to turn 11 years old. Fifth grade elementary-school playground and the boom-boxes were playing it along with VH1 and Blizzard of Ozz. I was fascinated by Side 1, but in the end "Limelight" was the first song I fell for.

The rest is history....

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was about 14 when Counterparts came out. I had heard Rush songs before (I would come to learn!) and I liked them, but I never knew who they were. Then, I heard Nobody's Hero on the radio, and it was so melodic and different from the Seattle grunge that was being pounded down my throat. I was already a Dream Theater and Queensryche fan, so getting into Rush was pretty easy at that point.

So, Nobody's Hero was the song that lured me in...then the owner of a local used music shop (who knew my dad) gave me Chronicles, and the rest is history! 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jul 9 2010, 04:29 PM)
Tom Sawyer was featured in the first Rock Band game. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be on this site right now. I'd heard of the band and the song before, but never really listened to any of it. I found it interesting enough that I wanted to check out the band, and that's how it all started. It was about two and a half years ago now. So for those who say those games aren't good for anything, it at least added this one more Rush fan to the world, and I know I'm not the only one that found them this way.

Yes! THIS is a great story and as you said this is why Rush being in these games is so great. These games have gotten so many young people exposed to bands like Rush...I think it's awesome! I'm sick of all the pretnetious A-Holes whining about how it's not like playing real music. Well..DUH!

As for me, I distinctly remember it was 1989, I was 16, and my exposure to Rush had been very limited, but a friend of mine had made a cassette tape of nothing but Tom Sawyer, and all it did was play over and over an entire side.

I went home and listened to that thing all day and night. (It was the Exit Stage Left version).

From there, I bought Exit Stage Left, then Moving Picture, then Permanent Waves, etc etc....that was such a great time. I was discovering this band and had like 15 albums to listen to!

So chalk another fan being exposed to Rush because of the "overplayed" Tom Sawyer

I never heard of RUSH really till 1988 or so.. RUSH hit the stage and radio after I was out of high school. At that time my life way backpacking and skiing and not listening to the radio.

In 88 a good friend handed me Hold Your Fire and said: "Here you will like these guys" ... trink39.gif

He was Right! yes.gif So it was the HYF album that hooked me really, now it is all Second Nature.. 653.gif

12 years old, must have been 1976 or 77, I skipped school and went to a buddies house and was hanging in his room when he pulled out the 2112 album, just after trying a little cool10.gif for the first time. Shudder to think of my 12 yr old doing this but thats how it happened. I was hooked on RUSH. I was playing the drums at the time so hearing the stuff Neil did really blew me away. Most people don't realize the odd time signatures he uses throughout the songs. I heard it and freaked! "How does he know where HE'S at and how does the band stay with him?"

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 9 2010, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jul 9 2010, 04:29 PM)
Tom Sawyer was featured in the first Rock Band game. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be on this site right now. I'd heard of the band and the song before, but never really listened to any of it. I found it interesting enough that I wanted to check out the band, and that's how it all started. It was about two and a half years ago now. So for those who say those games aren't good for anything, it at least added this one more Rush fan to the world, and I know I'm not the only one that found them this way.

Yes! THIS is a great story and as you said this is why Rush being in these games is so great. These games have gotten so many young people exposed to bands like Rush...I think it's awesome! I'm sick of all the pretnetious A-Holes whining about how it's not like playing real music. Well..DUH!

I can't tell you how many of my 14 yr old's friends listen to RUSH and other great classic bands from the Guitar Hero and Rock Band Games.

You go their school and they all wear ACDC, Zeppelin and SKYNYRD shirts. Awesome.

Not sure what year it was when 97 Rock in Buffalo played that triple-shot of Rush (I know it was before MP though) that hooked me. Being a HUGE Styx fan at the time, I never even heard of Rush. The first song of the triple-shot was "Circumstances." I heard that song and jizzed in my pants and the rest is history. By the by, the other two tunes were TSOR and Overture/Temples of Syrinx.

2.gif

About two years ago I was flipping through the music-only cable channels when I jumped in halfway through a song I had never heard before, but I knew I loved it. That synth-line was absolutely outstanding, the melody so captivating, and the lyrics so true. That song being "Subdivisions" (which is still my absolute favorite 2.gif song to this day). After checking out the video online, I followed a stream of Rush videos, eventually getting to the song where I then realized I would be a 2.gif fan for a long while to come...Limelight.

I wish I could say that I was cruising down the highway in 1981 with buddies when the radio played "Tom Sawyer" or that my dad would play "2112" constantly on the record player, but sadly, I can't. Being born in 1990, I was a child of the internet age and the music that I love today was yesterdays news when I was born. sad.gif

I was in college and the guy that taught our music course used to get us to bring in songs we wanted to let people hear and then we'd discuss them. Well one day he played The Trees and afterwords told us about the lyrics. I just remember being really impressed by the music and those lyrics were clever. I was already a fan of other prog bands but hadn't quite caught on to Rush before that.

So I went out and bought Hemispheres on vinyl at a record fair and the next album after that was Exit Stage Left on cd and it just sorta carried on from there.

I remember, at the time, trying to learn the finger picking guitar part to The Trees in the hope of impressing the teacher wub.gif laugh.gif 15 years on I can't get enough of 'em.

It was either the Trees or Cinderella Man. I heard it on the radio and was hooked. (Remember the Album Oriented Rock format? Back when radio wasn't computerized crud?)

I was 17. smile.gif That was many many moons ago.

I had always heard Tom Sawyer and TSOR on the radio and hated both of those songs. Then one day in '07 I heard Limelight and something clicked in my head. And my good friend gave me some Rush albums to sink my teeth into after that.

When I first saw the cover of ATWAS and Neil's drum kit in the drug store back in 1976. I told myself I have to get this. Took it home and right off the bat hearing Bastille Day I was hooked from that day forward!! 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jul 9 2010, 05:13 PM)
First hook was DEFINITELY MOVING PICTUES.

1981. About to turn 11 years old. Fifth grade elementary-school playground and the boom-boxes were playing it along with VH1 and Blizzard of Ozz. I was fascinated by Side 1, but in the end "Limelight" was the first song I fell for.

The rest is history....

Man. you must have been on the same playground as me. I really miss those days! I turned 10 in 1981.

I was twelve, in the year...I guess it must have been late 2006, since I went to Calgary for S&A in '07. My dad played the A Show of Hands DVD he got for Christmas. I remember Manhattan Project playing and Dad handed me the PoW liner notes so I could read the lyrics. Then I put CTTH onto my mp3 player, more out of curiosity than anything; closed my eyes and listened.

Bam. smile.gif Instant love.

I'm a keyboardist, so Subdivisons drew me in, Moving pictures opened my eyes and made me salivate and Hemisphers cemented the deal! I was hooked after I heard the Trees and La Villa!

drool1.gif

Then Grace under pressure came out and I spent the whole summer learning keyboard parts. It was the nail in the coffin!

1022.gif

This is going to be soooo familiar, and boring.

Tom Sawyer. Yeah. HAD to buy Moving Pictures (used a Turtles gift coin for that - anyone remember those?) At age eleven I tended to be fickle - I figured I'd wear out that one spot on the cassette and wouldn't care about the rest of the songs, which was usually the case with most other music I liked. I think at that age you're just starting to really develop a personal musical taste in styles.

I was so thrilled to discover I loved EVERY SINGLE SONG on that album. Signals came out not long after, and I fell more in love. That's when I started delving into the back catalogue.

And in 1983-ish I developed the beginnings of my lifelong crush on Neil. biggrin.gif

Started liking Rush in spring or summer 1982 due to Moving Pictures tunes. Saw "Subdivisions" world premiere on MTV, got "Signals" on Christmas Day, 1982. That's how I became a fan. However, it wouldn't be until Christmas 1983 before I'd actually get Moving Pictures.

April 1984, the day before Easter, I got "Grace Under Pressure", but didn't start going into their back catalog until September 1984 beginning with Fly By Night.

Early 1981 at the age of 11, my dad let me have his record collection of a couple hundred rock lps spanning the years 1964-1980. Four of which were Rush: the debut, Caress of Steel, 2112, ATWAS. At the time, i wasn't really aware of their current stuff, so those were the ones that made me a fan (and are among my favorites even now). I had the entire catalog by the release of Signals, ESL being the first i bought at the time of release.

Heard them on Pandora. I knew Rush as the Tom Sawyer guys so I thought OK they are cool. I Heard Marathon on Pandora and was hooked. Bought from I tunes for 99 cents.

First CD was Spirit of Radio Greatest hits. I recognized Subdivisions and Limelight. I started my collection after that. The Second Cd was All the worlds a Stage 1022.gif

Archived