Geddy's fender bass

Soni

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jul 13 2010, 08:48 PM)
A lot of people really rip on the Wals. I liked them a lot, and the Steins. Really recognizable sound to them. Not much of any grit either; a really good clean sound.

I have to admit that I never really cared for the Wal sound. I had a Steinberger L-2 for a while and I hated that sound. I thought Geddy sounded good with it, but I am a fan of the Jazz. The Ric would be great, but he should definitely keep those others retired. I don't like active electronics on a bass. In the eighties, I could never hear him in those arenas. I'm sure that is not just the bass...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ProfGumby @ Jul 23 2010, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE (BL2112 @ Jul 23 2010, 02:49 PM)
unless its like what an earlier poster said about Geddy talking his old jazz to the fender custom shop to have it scaned to have an exact replica of his bass. But if you can still see the pre production pics from John Arrowsmith's site you can see the screw holes from the bridge cover which is orginal jazz has and the fender customs do not.
I still believe its the old bass with a new neck and pickguard.

If he had the bass scanned, the new one would have wear and screw holes if that's what the custom shop was after....

This also might explain the difference in tone on this tour. Russ Ryan (Geddy's former bass tech) shared with us that Ged's old reliable had a different tone to it. And Russ revealed that the winding on the bridge pickup was broken and it has a lower output than a stock Fender.

If this bass is a replica with a fully functioning bridge pickup, it would sound different.

Again it would be nice to see something official in print or on video.

I knew Geddy thought there was something wrong with the wiring on that bass, but did not know that. But maybe theyd break that pick up also just like relicing the body?

QUOTE (BL2112 @ Jul 24 2010, 12:10 AM)
QUOTE (ProfGumby @ Jul 23 2010, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE (BL2112 @ Jul 23 2010, 02:49 PM)
unless its like what an earlier poster said about Geddy talking his old jazz to the fender custom shop to have it scaned to have an exact replica of his bass. But if you can still see the pre production pics from John Arrowsmith's site you can see the screw holes from the bridge cover which is orginal jazz has and the fender customs do not.
I still believe its the old bass with a new neck and pickguard.

If he had the bass scanned, the new one would have wear and screw holes if that's what the custom shop was after....

This also might explain the difference in tone on this tour. Russ Ryan (Geddy's former bass tech) shared with us that Ged's old reliable had a different tone to it. And Russ revealed that the winding on the bridge pickup was broken and it has a lower output than a stock Fender.

If this bass is a replica with a fully functioning bridge pickup, it would sound different.

Again it would be nice to see something official in print or on video.

I knew Geddy thought there was something wrong with the wiring on that bass, but did not know that. But maybe theyd break that pick up also just like relicing the body?

A good repair person would not 'break' the pickup. Nor would they do anything else to that bass that would 'ruin' it.

If Jaco's "Bass of Doom" could be put back together, Geddy's bass could handle a re-wiring job if needed, and a neck replacement, which is no big deal AT ALL.

Geddy is a bassist and not much of a repair/set-up person, so his 'fears' about his bass being trashed if someone dare lift the chrome cover for access to the wiring the electronics bay is understandable, but silly really. If the wiring was so bad that it needed to be replaced, the same exact kind of wire could be purchased and used and not even a well trained 'ear' would know the wiring was replaced. The pickup, if replaced, yes, that could/would be noticable, but, I highly doubt that there is anything to worry about with that pickup. It's working. And if the winding is broken, that can be repaired too.

That could explain how his Jazz Bass was sounding more like the neck pickup was being used and sounding more like a P-Bass on the VT and S&A tours. It dosen't sound like that on this tour.

I understand his worry about it. It's natural.

He should meet my repair guy.

Edited by Mr. Krinkle

I'm pretty sure its his old bass with a new neck..

Pre-show

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs170.snc4/37830_426881718112_642838112_4723858_4621246_n.jpg

You can see some wear on the body in this shot

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs086.ash2/37636_426901748112_642838112_4724117_688354_n.jpg

And also the finish looks a little distressed here

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs086.ash2/37636_426901768112_642838112_4724121_7617682_n.jpg

QUOTE (darth by tor @ Jul 27 2010, 11:12 AM)
I'm pretty sure its his old bass with a new neck..

Pre-show

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs170.snc4/37830_426881718112_642838112_4723858_4621246_n.jpg

It looks like, the old reliable, the red jazz, a backup old reliable (notice the pearl guard and two with the black pearl guards....

I think I have a better, more close up pic of the body of the "new" bass. I'll see if I can find it. I know someone on Talk Bass had a really good shot of the body...

My vantage point at the Milwaukee show was not as good as yours, so I could not see what was in your photo....

Edited by ProfGumby

Not to distract from the OP's post, but does anyone know anything about the Daphne Blue (or Ice Blue Metallic) Jazz Bass that Geddy warms up on as shown in the first scene of the Rush doc? I have a pretty good idea of his current gear but I had never seen that bass before.

QUOTE (ofsalesmen @ Jul 28 2010, 10:37 PM)
Not to distract from the OP's post, but does anyone know anything about the Daphne Blue (or Ice Blue Metallic) Jazz Bass that Geddy warms up on as shown in the first scene of the Rush doc? I have a pretty good idea of his current gear but I had never seen that bass before.

Just taking a guess, but probably a warmup bass like a lower end Fender or Squire just to get fingers moving. But I really don't know in this case

QUOTE (Jake2112 @ Jul 28 2010, 10:12 PM)
QUOTE (ofsalesmen @ Jul 28 2010, 10:37 PM)

Just taking a guess, but probably a warmup bass like a lower end Fender or Squire just to get fingers moving. But I really don't know in this case

Do you think Geddy would actually warm up on a Squire?? tongue.gif