Geddy's fender bass

Soni

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jul 13 2010, 08:48 PM)
A lot of people really rip on the Wals. I liked them a lot, and the Steins. Really recognizable sound to them. Not much of any grit either; a really good clean sound.

Very twangy sound. It remember seeing the HYF tour and it just didnt have a lot of that deep punch to it that you get with a rick or a fender. Not a great rock bass in my opinion.

Definitely much more of a jazzy sound to it, which was his playing/writing style at the time, his bass lines had a lot of jazz influence in them, so that bass fit, but that bass on any of their older heavier songs just did not work for me at all. It somehow sucked the life out of those old songs, made them sound much weaker.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 14 2010, 08:59 AM)
A lot of people really rip on the Wals. I liked them a lot, and the Steins. Really recognizable sound to them. Not much of any grit either; a really good clean sound.

Very twangy sound. It remember seeing the HYF tour and it just didnt have a lot of that deep punch to it that you get with a rick or a fender. Not a great rock bass in my opinion.

Definitely much more of a jazzy sound to it, which was his playing/writing style at the time, his bass lines had a lot of jazz influence in them, so that bass fit, but that bass on any of their older heavier songs just did not work for me at all. It somehow sucked the life out of those old songs, made them sound much weaker.

Go listen to "Suck My Kiss" from the Red Hot Chili Peppers BSSM album and tell me that Wal that Flea used for that song dosen't have balls.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 14 2010, 09:05 AM)

Go listen to "Suck My Kiss" from the Red Hot Chili Peppers BSSM album and tell me that Wal that Flea used for that song dosen't have balls.

I know all about flea, im a big RHCP fan. He had a custom built Wall, I still have the bass player mag where he talked about it. It had completely different electronics in it. Aside from the name Wall, that bass had no similarities to the wall Geddy was using.

You can hear a huge difference in the sound. Its not just the recording quality of BSSM that is better than Rush's 80s albums that gives it that punch, but its basically an entirely different bass.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 14 2010, 10:19 AM)

I know all about flea, im a big RHCP fan. He had a custom built Wall, I still have the bass player mag where he talked about it. It had completely different electronics in it. Aside from the name Wall, that bass had no similarities to the wall Geddy was using.

You can hear a huge difference in the sound. Its not just the recording quality of BSSM that is better than Rush's 80s albums that gives it that punch, but its basically an entirely different bass.

I have a Wal bass and I can replicate the EXACT sound the Flea gets from his 'custom' Wal.

That bass has a million sounds in it.

What magazine was that that he talked about his Wal?

One of the '91 issues I believe, cant remember the exact month, its sitting in storage right now. I was in there a few months ago and flipped through it again.

Basically he just said he had that Wal (sorry was calling it wall before, listening to pink floyd earlier lol), and said something like it sounded fine on the album but could not get the same punch in large arenas which was when he had it rebuilt. Different pickups, everything inside was new and not even made by Wal, it was all custom built by someone else. He mentioned who did the word for him but I cant remember.

You can get that same punch with your Wal as he has on that album, but he was specifically talking about playing live in large places where he felt it didnt stand out enough, not enough kick to it, something along those lines, which explains why Geddy's sounded so weak live.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 14 2010, 12:40 PM)
One of the '91 issues I believe, cant remember the exact month, its sitting in storage right now. I was in there a few months ago and flipped through it again.

Basically he just said he had that Wal (sorry was calling it wall before, listening to pink floyd earlier lol), and said something like it sounded fine on the album but could not get the same punch in large arenas which was when he had it rebuilt. Different pickups, everything inside was new and not even made by Wal, it was all custom built by someone else. He mentioned who did the word for him but I cant remember.

You can get that same punch with your Wal as he has on that album, but he was specifically talking about playing live in large places where he felt it didnt stand out enough, not enough kick to it, something along those lines, which explains why Geddy's sounded so weak live.

I'll have to go back and check my old Bass Player mags for that. Thanks.

As far as live, I just cannot understand that if the sound can be produced through amps to have exactly what you want, why can it not be put through the house system and get a totally ballsy tone?

I know it's wishful thinking, but it would be cool if he'd use the bass he recorded a song with, or at least one close to it. I'm not saying he's got to break out the Steinberger (laugh.gif), but at least use the Wal on songs from that era. I'd like to hear the Ric on the older stuff, but the Jazz Bass sounds fine to me because it's closer to the Ric than the Wal.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 14 2010, 01:30 PM)
I know it's wishful thinking, but it would be cool if he'd use the bass he recorded a song with, or at least one close to it. I'm not saying he's got to break out the Steinberger (laugh.gif), but at least use the Wal on songs from that era. I'd like to hear the Ric on the older stuff, but the Jazz Bass sounds fine to me because it's closer to the Ric than the Wal.

Yea I agree like he should bust out the Wal for [a certain song] off HYF this tour and like last tour he brought out the Ric for Temples.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Jul 14 2010, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 14 2010, 01:30 PM)

Yea I agree like he should bust out the Wal for [a certain song] off HYF this tour and like last tour he brought out the Ric for Temples.

There's another song on this tour he could use the Wal bass for as well.

Oh, and last tour he broke out the Rickenbacker for A Passage to Bangkok.

Edited by Mr. Krinkle

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 14 2010, 03:18 PM)
There's another song on this tour he could use the Wal bass for as well.
Oh, and last tour he broke out the Rickenbacker for A Passage to Bangkok.

doh.gif Woops I should know I was at a concert on the '08 leg. Thanks for the correction.

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jul 8 2010, 06:31 PM)
I remember reading somewhere that a couple of tours ago, the neck on his original Fender was broken or damaged beyond repair. The Fender Custom Shop replaced the neck.

I believe there is a chance that this is a "new" bass. I read on RIAB last year that Geddy bought a '74 (or something) Jazz at a music store in Virginia.

The neck on the '72 was replaced before the Snakes and Arrows tour; reasoning- it was worn out. I seriously doubt it would be changed out again this soon.

Also, this current bass has a design on the pickguard. Based on his style, I doubt Geddy would add it to his '72; a bass he's had in the original style all these years.

I thought a lot about this when I saw the Albuquerque show, and I'd bet that this is a "new", old bass.

QUOTE (DallasRUSHian @ Jul 14 2010, 09:31 PM)
QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Jul 8 2010, 06:31 PM)
I remember reading somewhere that a couple of tours ago, the neck on his original Fender was broken or damaged beyond repair.  The Fender Custom Shop replaced the neck.

I believe there is a chance that this is a "new" bass. I read on RIAB last year that Geddy bought a '74 (or something) Jazz at a music store in Virginia.

The neck on the '72 was replaced before the Snakes and Arrows tour; reasoning- it was worn out. I seriously doubt it would be changed out again this soon.

Also, this current bass has a design on the pickguard. Based on his style, I doubt Geddy would add it to his '72; a bass he's had in the original style all these years.

I thought a lot about this when I saw the Albuquerque show, and I'd bet that this is a "new", old bass.

It's the same body.

New neck.

QUOTE (mong82191 @ Jul 12 2010, 11:47 PM)
QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Jul 12 2010, 09:12 PM)
My Fender fretless Jazz.  My favorite bass.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb305/EveryNerveAware/RUSH/DSC03322.jpg

sorry bud that ain't a fretless bass. Those frets are clear as day.

I see you've learned about the fretless bass in subsequent posts.

Mine has flat-wound strings instead of round-wound to prevent damage to the fingerboard.

you can't compare the sound of a bass in flea's vs geddy's hands. they produce such a distinctly different tone as individuals (as everyone does really- who is any good anyways)...

i love ged's tone live and recorded these days. tons of balls and a great "punch in the face" with high and mid tones. plus, he's pretty good laugh.gif

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 15 2010, 12:52 PM)

you can't compare the sound of a bass in flea's vs geddy's hands. they produce such a distinctly different tone as individuals (as everyone does really- who is any good anyways)...

i love ged's tone live and recorded these days. tons of balls and a great "punch in the face" with high and mid tones. plus, he's pretty good laugh.gif

You're 100% right. A bass player's hands are 50% of his sound.

What I didn't know is that Flea had modded his Wal.

My Wal sounds exactly like Ged's and it sounds exactly like Flea's bass if I want that sound too.

Without the mods.

Go figure.

Geddy's sound this tour and on the two new tracks sounds better than the last few years. That's for sure. trink39.gif

At first I thought this bass was his original with a new neck. But after seeing the Milwaukee show, I would swear I saw his old reliable sitting in the guitar rack by his tech...

I wish somewhere an interview would bring out the truth. I have seen a lot of stuff about Alex and his setup and some about Neil's stuff...but nothing outside of fan info on Ged's new bass....and only the dry, old, boring promo stuff on the Orange amps!

I'm leaning towards this being a new bass. Perhaps his "old faithful" was almost completely worn out and such he decided to retire it before it was too late. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've heard of an instrument being retired. In fact, perhaps the last journey "old faithful" made was to the Fender Custom Shop. They could have taken a complete scan of his bass and produced like for like replica in minute detail. Can't see him swapping the neck again and the scratch plate.

I also agree with many on this post, it would be nice if he used a particular bass for a certain song. None of the songs from HYF, Presto, RTB, etc sound quite right on the Fender (love them as I do). Mission on the last tour and Time Stand Still on this tour just don't sound quite right without that punchy Wal sound. And we'd all like to see the Ric out for the older stuff.....

unless its like what an earlier poster said about Geddy talking his old jazz to the fender custom shop to have it scaned to have an exact replica of his bass. But if you can still see the pre production pics from John Arrowsmith's site you can see the screw holes from the bridge cover which is orginal jazz has and the fender customs do not.

I still believe its the old bass with a new neck and pickguard.

QUOTE (BL2112 @ Jul 23 2010, 02:49 PM)
unless its like what an earlier poster said about Geddy talking his old jazz to the fender custom shop to have it scaned to have an exact replica of his bass. But if you can still see the pre production pics from John Arrowsmith's site you can see the screw holes from the bridge cover which is orginal jazz has and the fender customs do not.

The body is definitely very well used from pics seen over at talkbass. Maybe he did mess with his old reliable? I know to some that would be sacrilege, but me? I'd just like to know. I am already planning to build another tribute bass to look like the new bass/version.

2.gif

I just see it as funny, Alex has gear info all over the net, same with Neil. But we are left to guess with Geddy....

QUOTE (BL2112 @ Jul 23 2010, 02:49 PM)

If he had the bass scanned, the new one would have wear and screw holes if that's what the custom shop was after....

This also might explain the difference in tone on this tour. Russ Ryan (Geddy's former bass tech) shared with us that Ged's old reliable had a different tone to it. And Russ revealed that the winding on the bridge pickup was broken and it has a lower output than a stock Fender.

If this bass is a replica with a fully functioning bridge pickup, it would sound different.

Again it would be nice to see something official in print or on video.

Edited by ProfGumby