Geddy's fender bass

Soni

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading somewhere that a couple of tours ago, the neck on his original Fender was broken or damaged beyond repair. The Fender Custom Shop replaced the neck.

He must either have some serious love affair going on with fender, or they are paying him very well to use their instruments.

I miss the days when every couple tours he would switch it up to something exciting and new. I own 4 fenders, and I never play any of them. I have an MTD which is far better in every way. I wish he would explore a little, there are much better basses out there, but I guess he's just stuck on them.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 8 2010, 09:11 PM)
He must either have some serious love affair going on with fender, or they are paying him very well to use their instruments.

I miss the days when every couple tours he would switch it up to something exciting and new. I own 4 fenders, and I never play any of them. I have an MTD which is far better in every way. I wish he would explore a little, there are much better basses out there, but I guess he's just stuck on them.

The Fender Jazz Basses give Geddy a bit more flexibility with his sound.

The Rickenbackers and Wals and Steinbergers had their own signature sound that is easier to come close to with the Fender Jazz Bass more than the other way around.

The Jazz Bass is an 'everyman's' bass. It is easier to work with to get a good tone.

I agree, it would be nice if he would change it up a bit. But at the end of the day he is going to play on what he feels the most comfortable with. Personally I like Jazz basses and I can see why Geddy likes them too.

For this tour he could of at least changed basses for a couple of songs, like he did with the Ric on Temples last tour.

OMG Mr. Krinkle, you fcking sig rocks. You shred on prelude. And your bass is super sexy. I'm officially jealous 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Jul 8 2010, 10:38 PM)

I agree, it would be nice if he would change it up a bit. But at the end of the day he is going to play on what he feels the most comfortable with. Personally I like Jazz basses and I can see why Geddy likes them too.

For this tour he could of at least changed basses for a couple of songs, like he did with the Ric on Temples last tour.

I like them too, but there are better basses in the world. Im not saying that his decision is wrong, thats ridiculous of course, he obviously prefers them, but I mean was just nice when he would switch it up.

And in doing so maybe he'll discover some real gems. Some hand built custom basses are far better than any fender you can buy. Mike Tobias, probably the most famous bass maker of them all has a new brand out, MTDs. Very expensive, far more pricey than fenders but I did save up and buy one and its the best bass ive ever played. The sound is so much better than my fenders, and the neck is thinner so it even feels better.

This is actually my bass on the MTD site. That pix does not do the beauty of this thing any justice but id love to see geddy rock something like this, in the 4-string model though of course.

http://www.mtdbass.com/gallery/gallery_6string01.htm

sorry, i think those modern looking basses look tacky. fender jazz basses will always be a classic. in fact, i only own "classic" instruments like the fender jazz, gibson es-355, and fender strats. always in style, and always classy!

QUOTE (stipe2112 @ Jul 9 2010, 03:01 PM)
sorry, i think those modern looking basses look tacky. fender jazz basses will always be a classic. in fact, i only own "classic" instruments like the fender jazz, gibson es-355, and fender strats. always in style, and always classy!

Have you ever seen an MTD in person? Pure luxury. It's like seeing a fine swiss watch, you can tell just from looking at it that superior craftsmanship went into it.

All MTDs are built by Mike's own hands with the finest materials on Earth. They're just on a whole different level than something like a Fender.

Seriously, if you ever get a chance to see one in a shop, youll see they dont look like other modern basses made by Ibanez or some half rate company like that, and try it out if you can and you will feel the difference.

I think it would be quite harder to play his "rakking" technique in any other bass. The Fender JB is a heavy instrument with a great ammount of woods on it's structure, which gives it strong low notes and crystal clear high notes. So he can keep "slappin tha beiss" without loosing those strong lower notes.

As they are a power trio, I think sometimes he tries to fill the harmony role, specially whem Alex is soloing. But he can not give up being the bassis of the band.

But maybe some songs would be better with another type of bass. From the current setlist, song with repetitive notes (like Presto, Working Them Angels, subdivisions and CloserTTHeart) would be nice with a more balanced bass. (YYZ would sound better with a lighter bass -- the Steinberg would be just perfect!) and of course there are those sobgs that we would love to hear on the Rick.

I love Fender JB. I have a 20 years old American JB myself and it is a fantastic bass. Indeed, it is the only fretted bass I still use.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Jul 12 2010, 09:12 PM)
My Fender fretless Jazz. My favorite bass.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb305/EveryNerveAware/RUSH/DSC03322.jpg

sorry bud that ain't a fretless bass. Those frets are clear as day.

does that make it a fretless bass or does it?

its a fretless bass, the lines are for positioning. On a fretless the player "frets" where the fret should be instead of behind the fret like on a fretted bass

I think The Jazz bass isn't the best choice for the songs from Power Windows to Roll the Bones. I think the sound of the jazz bass is too "rough" for those songs especially with Geddy's style, his amps, and the maple fretboard. he should bring back the Wal for those songs.

A lot of people really rip on the Wals. I liked them a lot, and the Steins. Really recognizable sound to them. Not much of any grit either; a really good clean sound.