I hate Rush!

BU4B

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 5 2010, 08:17 AM)
QUOTE (BU4B @ Jul 4 2010, 02:14 PM)
Okay the title is a bit dramatic.

You think?

<sigh>

While I understand the intent, seeing that title from the main page does give one a bit of a start, no?

And does wonders for the overall look of the TRF's main forum. Thanks! trink39.gif

Perhaps one of the mods could edit the thread title, so it's not hitting you in the face?

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 5 2010, 09:58 AM)
Perhaps one of the mods could edit the thread title, so it's not hitting you in the face?

I second the motion.

I think Test For Echo, AFTK, MP, Signals and GUP were probably the only Rush records that were "instant gratification" with me... the rest took some time to digest and get into...to varying degrees.

Every record has great songs, but it took a while for me to appreciate certain records from beginning to end without feeling the need to skip tracks.

QUOTE (BU4B @ Jul 4 2010, 03:14 PM)
So any others experience this or am I some weird freak of nature with a slow working brain doh.gif

I struggle to like a lot from their last few albums, especially VT. My favorites are from the Power Windows/Counterparts span of years. I can't listen to any of their albums all the time. I listen, then put it away for a couple of weeks and then listen more. I generally don't like their new material. Just me, but maybe they'll grow on me.

The first new record I remember hearing was Vapor Trails, when I was 8 or 9, but I remember liking that record a lot. Feedback was my summer 2004 album, even though it was really short. Snakes and Arrows pretty much won me on the first listen, so I've never not liked a Rush album on the first listen.

With other bands' albums that I don't like at first, I might feel anything from "wut?" to "this sucks", but I'll try and give it a few more listens. Radiohead's In Rainbows is a great example of that type of record... at first, I didn't really get it, but now it's one of my favorite records by any artist.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 5 2010, 11:39 AM)
Sheesh, people getting on the guys case about a thread title.

I took it as he was being sarcastic as soon as I read the first line he wrote. Take it easy people.

Yes, trenken, we were all able to reach that same conclusion as well.

The point is that it shows on the main board index simply as "I Hate Rush!" and it's right there at the top, on the Rush subforum. It's going to give first-time visitors sort of a "WTF?" reaction.

I took it as he was being sarcastic as soon as I read the first line he wrote. Take it easy people.

So did I. I knew what he meant the moment I read it. But I have more to think about than you do. I don't expect you to get it.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 5 2010, 01:48 PM)

Yes, trenken, we were all able to reach that same conclusion as well.

The point is that it shows on the main board index simply as "I Hate Rush!" and it's right there at the top, on the Rush subforum. It's going to give first-time visitors sort of a "WTF?" reaction.

Exactly.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 5 2010, 11:54 AM)

I second the motion.

I don't third the motion. We're not in the habit of changing people's words unless it's something strongly offensive. This isn't. I'd like to see the title changed myself, but not at anyone's hand other than the OP. If the title remained, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

ohmy.gif Well I'm not really suprised at the reaction to the title if I'm honest!

However I see the main objection is that it is in a prime spot at the moment (temporarily I'm sure) It is only a matter of time before it will slip down the page to be lost among all the other not so dramatic posts.

After which those who care can go back to sleeping more soundly.

As for calling for the Mods to edit my post, I'm shocked. Our Hero's themselves would be dis-appointed to think that a Forum dedicated to them supported freedom of expression as long as it conformed to the Forums ideal

Subdivisions

I thank all those who answered the question the post was about and those who defended my right to freely express my view. I am also sorry to those who have been offended, concerned or otherwise by my title.

But most of all I am saddened by the missed point of three guys who have worked hard to prove to the world that you don't have to conform to be accepted.

THE TITLE STAY'S

admin.gif

QUOTE (BU4B @ Jul 5 2010, 03:48 PM)
ohmy.gif Well I'm not really suprised at the reaction to the title if I'm honest!

However I see the main objection is that it is in a prime spot at the moment (temporarily I'm sure) It is only a matter of time before it will slip down the page to be lost among all the other not so dramatic posts.

After which those who care can go back to sleeping more soundly. 

As for calling for the Mods to edit my post, I'm shocked.  Our Hero's themselves would be dis-appointed to think that a Forum dedicated to them supported freedom of expression  as long as it conformed to the Forums ideal

Subdivisions

I thank all those who answered the question the post was about and those who defended my right to freely express my view. I am also sorry to those who have been offended, concerned or otherwise by my title.

But most of all I am saddened by the missed point of three guys who have worked hard to prove to the world that you don't have to conform to be accepted.

THE TITLE STAY'S
admin.gif

I agree with Mara's explanation of why the title is sucky, especially when seen from the main page, but I also agree with Pags that we don't need to edit it.

As for the freedom of expression deal, we agree with that...for the most part. We may be here because of Rush, but TRF is OUR forum, which means we set the standards here. We let people have their say as much as possible, but when posts get offensive or needlessly insulting and start disrupting threads, we will step in.

Constructive criticism is welcomed, as long as it's done respectfully. When criticism crosses the line and goes from constructive to bashing and insulting, we make posts like this. And lately, we've made more than a few of these posts. Which kinda sucks.

I think the topic is fine. I even participated my experience. It's the title that Mara and I were referring to.

If the admins don't want to change the title, it's no big deal.

My only suggestion is to give a thread title a little more thought before posting it. Your topic, for instance, has nothing to do with hating Rush.

I'm sure Neil puts a lot of thought into his lyrics before submitting them.

QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 5 2010, 11:19 AM)

I second the motion.

I don't third the motion. We're not in the habit of changing people's words unless it's something strongly offensive. This isn't. I'd like to see the title changed myself, but not at anyone's hand other than the OP. If the title remained, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

erm... Been meaning to ask this for a while..

How do you edit your threads title?

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 5 2010, 05:03 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 5 2010, 11:19 AM)

I second the motion.

erm... Been meaning to ask this for a while..

How do you edit your threads title?

If you are the OP, click the Edit button in the very first post of the thread. There, the title boxes can also be edited.

While the title is a little inappropriate (considering what the thread really is about)........does it really bother some people? I don't get that.....The mods are spot on, about not editing the title, kudos to them for that.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 5 2010, 08:15 PM)
While the title is a little inappropriate (considering what the thread really is about)........does it really bother some people? I don't get that.....The mods are spot on, about not editing the title, kudos to them for that.

I think it does bother some people, especially with all the the negativity that's been prevalent here lately. With all this "Neil is a DICK" and "The setlist sucks" and other crap that we've been seeing, a thread entitled "I hate Rush!" doesn't help lighten the mood too much. And we are trying to dissuade some of that negativity.

Check out BU4B's other thread to see more thoughts about this topic title. http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=57339

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 5 2010, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 5 2010, 08:15 PM)

I think it does bother some people, especially with all the the negativity that's been prevalent here lately. With all this "Neil is a DICK" and "The setlist sucks" and other crap that we've been seeing, a thread entitled "I hate Rush!" doesn't help lighten the mood too much. And we are trying to dissuade some of that negativity.

Check out BU4B's other thread to see more thoughts about this topic title. http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=57339

Looks like he's jerking around.......I mean who's serious when they put cool10.gif at the end of THEIR OWN post??.....unless he's high.... laugh.gif

As I said in the other thread - it's not that big of a deal. This is a good thread topic and got a lot of good and thoughtful responses; it didn't need such a brickbat of a title.

I was not around when all the Tri-Net/Rudy stuff went down, but I've learned enough about that disaster to understand WHY admins and moderators here think long and hard before editing or removing a thread, or even locking one. It works - no need to change it.

It wasn't albums for me it was certain songs. Shockingly at first I didn't like Spirit of the Radio or 2112 but now I listen to 2112 at least once a day and I play SOTR on the drums.

I liked the new songs the first listen.

Archived