Ghost Rider

tripdad

Well it only took me two years, but I finally finished it. I started 2 years ago while camping at Myrtle Beach and just finished it last night, again while camping at MB. Can you tell I'm not much of a reader??

I know it's been discussed before, but just 'sayin'... tongue.gif

After reading the book and seeing the documentary I don't think I would ever dare approach Neil if I saw him in public. I guess I have to respect the guy wants his privacy. Late in the book especially he was very clear how uncomfortable he was when people recognized him. Personally I can't relate, but I would feel like an idiot if I bothered him.

So on to his next book I guess. Roadshow may be more interesting for me. I struggled with Ghost Rider at the start because for me it was like reading lyrics to songs at times. Too poetic I kept saying. I took up motorcycle riding a couple years back and I think that sparked my interest more in the book.

Less than 2 weeks to Toronto for me and my fellow motorcyclist!!

2.gif

I know many people think his writing is boring, especially when he ventures into writing about places and birdwatching and what he ate for breakfast...I guess I can understand that.

But I can honestly say that reading Ghost Rider at a pivotal time (my son had just been diagnosed with severe autism) changed my life in a lot of ways.

I've enjoyed all his books. The Masked Rider is probably my next favorite.

I love this book. I carried it around for weeks after my sister died two years ago, like a sort of talisman. It is so tattered and beat up now, and I've said before that I wish I could somehow let Neil know how much comfort I found in his writing at that horrible, horrible time.

I'd take Neil as a travel guide any day. He's really good at capturing the personality of a place.

I got tired of all the landscape detail after a while. But over all i loved the book. It was a real insight to what was going on in his life. and really helped me understand him. And if i ever saw him i would just say "thank's Mr. Peart" And walk away.

I did enjoy his books thought they were a bit too much travelogue at times and didn't agree with him on a few occasions. But that's ok I'm entitled to my opinion as it were.

If I saw him in the street I would sidle up to him and say in a loud whisper, Homer Simpson Style, Hey it's ok I don't recognise you as the world famous drummer from Canadian rock trio 2.gif Mr Peart. Then in a normal voice. 'Now can I get an autograph.'

Then looking at said autograph I'd say 'Hmmm I don't really know! How do I know this is really you?' Can you drum a little of Tom Barchetta for me so I know?

Bruno stands up and moves his jacket, I know this guy's done time so I scream like a girl and run away.

'In the distance' "Rush Rocks....."

QUOTE (tripdad @ Jul 4 2010, 06:40 AM)
Well it only took me two years, but I finally finished it. I started 2 years ago while camping at Myrtle Beach and just finished it last night, again while camping at MB. Can you tell I'm not much of a reader??

I know it's been discussed before, but just 'sayin'... tongue.gif

After reading the book and seeing the documentary I don't think I would ever dare approach Neil if I saw him in public. I guess I have to respect the guy wants his privacy. Late in the book especially he was very clear how uncomfortable he was when people recognized him. Personally I can't relate, but I would feel like an idiot if I bothered him.

So on to his next book I guess. Roadshow may be more interesting for me. I struggled with Ghost Rider at the start because for me it was like reading lyrics to songs at times. Too poetic I kept saying. I took up motorcycle riding a couple years back and I think that sparked my interest more in the book.

2.gif

you're riding to the Toronto shows? me too! I'm coming from Edmonton on a harley street bob. can't freakin wait, leaving thurs smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

as for Neil, I have always understood his actions. I've always been kinda shy and uncomfortable in certain situations with people and have been misunderstood, (people take me as rude or stuck up) just because I don't seem "tuned into" them, or I'm not saying much.

I can understand why I guess but it's frustrating when people make assumptions and label you as a Dick just because you have a hard time with something.

anyways, ..so where's the pre-partys in Toronto? 1022.gif

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jul 5 2010, 05:46 PM)
QUOTE (tripdad @ Jul 4 2010, 06:40 AM)
Well it only took me two years, but I finally finished it.  I started 2 years ago while camping at Myrtle Beach and just finished it last night, again while camping at MB.  Can you tell I'm not much of a reader?? 

I know it's been discussed before, but just 'sayin'...  tongue.gif

After reading the book and seeing the documentary I don't think I would ever dare approach Neil if I saw him in public.  I guess I have to respect the guy wants his privacy.  Late in the book especially he was very clear how uncomfortable he was when people recognized him.  Personally I can't relate, but I would feel like an idiot if I bothered him. 

So on to his next book I guess.  Roadshow may be more interesting for me.  I struggled with Ghost Rider at the start because for me it was like reading lyrics to songs at times.  Too poetic I kept saying.  I took up motorcycle riding a couple years back and I think that sparked my interest more in the book.

2.gif

you're riding to the Toronto shows? me too! I'm coming from Edmonton on a harley street bob. can't freakin wait, leaving thurs smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

as for Neil, I have always understood his actions. I've always been kinda shy and uncomfortable in certain situations with people and have been misunderstood, (people take me as rude or stuck up) just because I don't seem "tuned into" them, or I'm not saying much.

I can understand why I guess but it's frustrating when people make assumptions and label you as a Dick just because you have a hard time with something.

anyways, ..so where's the pre-partys in Toronto? 1022.gif

Riding from Cleveland on a Honda VTX 1300C. Two buds with me, one one a VTX 1300R and the other on an old Yamaha touring bike. I'm following the ACC thread in the hot tub time machine thread for preshow meetup. Maybe catch you there.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 4 2010, 11:53 PM)

I'd take Neil as a travel guide any day. He's really good at capturing the personality of a place.

Actually, I wouldn't. Sure, he can capture the personality of a place as you said, but choosing the right person [people] to travel with is important. He seems better to have around to converse about travel vs. being my travel guide. After reading his books, it seems that he likes to go at his pace (which of course is fine). I recall him strongly commenting several times in The Masked Rider about someone slowing the group down.

QUOTE (tripdad @ Jul 4 2010, 08:40 AM)
After reading the book and seeing the documentary I don't think I would ever dare approach Neil if I saw him in public.  I guess I have to respect the guy wants his privacy.  Late in the book especially he was very clear how uncomfortable he was when people recognized him.  Personally I can't relate, but I would feel like an idiot if I bothered him. 

Neither would I, ever. I might send him a drink or something if I saw him in a restaurant...with a little note maybe. But even that might freak him out "OH NO!! I've been SPOTTED! Heavens to murgatroid!"

I think he's taking the whole privacy thing a LITTLE too far...i mean, just seeing Ged and Alex at everything, interviews, movie openings, interviews...etc...it's getting a bit tired, a little too obvious. It seems disrespectful to Alex and Geddy. But, he is who he is--if its cool with them, who am I to judge?

QUOTE (tripdad @ Jul 4 2010, 08:40 AM)
Late in the book especially he was very clear how uncomfortable he was when people recognized him. Personally I can't relate, but I would feel like an idiot if I bothered him.

I know. I saw the Presto tour in '90 in Wash DC, and the day after the show I spotted him on the metro. He got really pissed off that I recognized him, so I didn't dare approach him. I just smiled and left the train. cool.gif

I thought that all of his books were interesting to read. Ghost Rider took me the longest time and Road Show I finished in just a few days. In Road Show, I enjoyed the insight it provided about Neil and how the tour works for him. My ex-husband has never been into Rush but he liked reading Ghost Rider because of the motorcycle sections. Now he is on a trip to Alaska on his motorcycle and sent me the photos of his bike like in Ghost Rider. He also went to some places because of Neil's descriptions. It is funny how now we discuss Rush and Neil's travels.

I really enjoyed Ghost Rider. Made me wonder if Neil has ever read Steinbeck's "Travels With Charley". (I bet he has.) They are different, but both chronicle a long journey across many miles.

During the time I read it, my wife and I were going through our own personal hell, loss, and grief, so it seemed very poignant to me.

I'd want to tell Neil he's not alone. God knows he might think that was really weird, or he might thank me.....

Need to read Roadshow and Masked Rider. The only other book of his I have read thus far is "Traveling Music", which I also enjoyed. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 4 2010, 07:16 AM)

Yes, it may almost be time to read that one again.

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Jul 6 2010, 05:16 PM)
I haven't read any of his books because I can't find any of them in stores.

You can find all of them on Amazon. I just reserved Roadshow at my local library.

QUOTE (tripdad @ Jul 6 2010, 06:34 PM)

You can find all of them on Amazon. I just reserved Roadshow at my local library.

Library.....YES! Why didn't I think of that..... doh.gif

I love the book, and i let someone borrow it, but never got it back. but masked rider is also very good. i love his writing style.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 4 2010, 09:16 AM)
I know many people think his writing is boring, especially when he ventures into writing about places and birdwatching and what he ate for breakfast...I guess I can understand that.

But I can honestly say that reading Ghost Rider at a pivotal time (my son had just been diagnosed with severe autism) changed my life in a lot of ways.

He is not a good writer.....great lyricist though.

QUOTE (tripdad @ Jul 7 2010, 07:34 AM)

Roadshow was easily my least favorite of his books. And frankly, the only reason I finished it was because it was from Peart. ANYONE else and I almost definitely would've just shelved the book. Having said that, I did like Ghost Rider & The Masked Rider. Traveling Music had its moments

LOVE Ghost Rider...actually, love all the books - especially his way of describing his surroundings. It really makes you feel like your right there with him smile.gif

I really liked Ghost Rider for many reasons, all of them said before me. Unfortunately, it's the only book by Neil that my local library has. angry.gif

QUOTE (Force Ten @ Jul 7 2010, 01:36 PM)
I really liked Ghost Rider for many reasons, all of them said before me. Unfortunately, it's the only book by Neil that my local library has. angry.gif

Does your library have a website? They may have a connection to other libraries in the state to get the book transferred to your library on request smile.gif

Archived