Which Three Piece Band Do You Like More?

RUSHHEAD666

A Simple Landslide Question But What The Hell! Greed Day, I Mean Green Day Blows!  

89 members have voted

1. 1. A Simple Landslide Question But What The Hell! Greed Day, I Mean Green Day Blows!

• RUSH
    • GREEN DAY

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 4 2010, 12:23 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 4 2010, 12:55 AM)
Dear RUSHHEAD666,

I understand the reasons behind why you would be thinking of Green Day.  However, I respectfully say that you must be out of your f***ing mind to think that even the younger Rush fans here would vote for that other band.

Sincerely,
Dookie

trink38.gif  cool10.gif  trink39.gif

Pretty much.

Pretty Much

QUOTE (Snyder80 @ Jul 4 2010, 08:40 PM)
Of course I voted RUSH!!!

However, I must admit that I once despised Green Day but some of their newer material has grown on me.

Yeah its the album American Idiot. People can say what they want about them, but good song writing is good song writing, and they definitely have a knack for great melodies. And that album is actually prog in many ways, there are multiple songs with many parts, a couple of them over 10 minutes long.

They were near death before that album came out, and the fact is it sold over 10 million more copies than moving pictures, so it clearly does not suck.

But like any great band that gets very popular, they have their haters. Typical.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 5 2010, 09:12 PM)
Yeah its the album American Idiot. People can say what they want about them, but good song writing is good song writing, and they definitely have a knack for great melodies. And that album is actually prog in many ways, there are multiple songs with many parts, a couple of them over 10 minutes long.

This. AI is an incredible record. If you don't like Green Day, I urge you to at least give it a listen with an open mind and see whether or not it changes your opinion of the band. If it does, then that's awesome... and if it doesn't, you've given them an honest chance so I can't complain. There's a lot more to their catalog than "Basket Case" and "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)".

However, I must admit that I once despised Green Day but some of their newer material has grown on me.

They were near death before that album came out, and the fact is it sold over 10 million more copies than moving pictures, so it clearly does not suck.

But like any great band that gets very popular, they have their haters. Typical.

I'm not a big Green Day fan at all, but I give them a lot of credit for American Idiot. That was an ambitious concept for an album, and they pulled it off nicely.

But this was still a useless poll for THIS board. tongue.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 5 2010, 08:20 PM)

I'm not a big Green Day fan at all, but I give them a lot of credit for American Idiot. That was an ambitious concept for an album, and they pulled it off nicely.

But this was still a useless poll for THIS board. tongue.gif

I agree, there isnt much point in comparing 2 entirely different bands, but Green Day has become a great band, and since they are so different than Rush I expect many people here to not like them.

But they are as good at what they do as Rush is in what they do. I vited for Rush but I dont listen to Green Day and think they are just some vastly inferior band. Technical ability on an instrument is starting to mean less and less to me as I get old, I just love great songs and Green Day has a lot of songs that I like. American Idiot has been played on my ipod probably as much as any Rush album has ever since I bought this thing.

The last thing I wanted to say about them is I always felt Billy Joe has much of the same qualities that Geddy has. The ability to write great vocal melodies I always felt was Geddys greatest strength, far beyond what he can do on the bass.

He really started getting good at this on PeW, which is when they started getting much more popular, people love great melodies, and their songs would be nothing without that, and Billy Joe is another guy that just has a great ability to do that.

Starting at 2:20, the chorus in that section really is not all that far off from something that Rush would write. If any of us heard something like that on clockwork we'd all be raving about it up and down this board.

There are many younger people that look at this trio as the new Rush, exceptional at what they do, just as Rush was in the early 80s when they became popular.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 5 2010, 06:12 PM)

What is is with bands who are near death but then they pen a "concept album" and it puts them back on the Rock N' Roll Map Of Stardom?

Signed,

"Tommy," "2112," and "Operation Mindcrime"

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 5 2010, 08:44 PM)

What is is with bands who are near death but then they pen a "concept album" and it puts them back on the Rock N' Roll Map Of Stardom?

Signed,

I think its just the fact that you spend a long time building up your fanbase with something that you know works, but then you take that and make it even more EPIC, while retaining what they originally liked about you, and it blows up.

Of course im sure many bands have failed at trying this, but it worked for green day, for the simple fact that billy joe is just very good at writing melodies. People like melodies.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 5 2010, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 5 2010, 08:44 PM)

Signed,

I think its just the fact that you spend a long time building up your fanbase with something that you know works, but then you take that and make it even more EPIC, while retaining what they originally liked about you, and it blows up.

Of course im sure many bands have failed at trying this, but it worked for green day, for the simple fact that billy joe is just very good at writing melodies. People like melodies.

Solid post dude.

Other bands like Judas Priest have FAILED at it.

"Nostradamus" wasn't that good.

I lot of people hate "The Elder" by KISS too. I happen to love that one.

trink39.gif

I remember reading an interview where Billy Joe listened religiously to Concept albums like The Wall and Quadrophenia to help inspire him for American Idiot.

Green Day is one of my favorite bands. Agree completely with Xanadu and trenken...they have a knack for catchy melodies and amazing sounds, even though their music is pretty simple fast chords.

American Idiot is an amazing album and as good as a lot of new Rush albums and Jesus of Suburbia is really awesome, and probably my favorite Green Day song. Dookie is my 2nd favorite and awesome in a very different way.

I really didnt like 21st century breakdown. It's like they interntionally were trying to write as many hooks as possible and made it too pop. Any edge they had to them was lost with that album.

Cant say I'm surprised to see so many Rush fans hammering them here. I just wonder if those doing it have heard them in depth? confused13.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 5 2010, 09:49 PM)
I remember reading an interview where Billy Joe listened religiously to Concept albums like The Wall and Quadrophenia to help inspire him for American Idiot.

Green Day is one of my favorite bands. Agree completely with Xanadu and trenken...they have a knack for catchy melodies and amazing sounds, even though their music is pretty simple fast chords.

American Idiot is an amazing album and as good as a lot of new Rush albums and Jesus of Suburbia is really awesome, and probably my favorite Green Day song. Dookie is my 2nd favorite and awesome in a very different way.

I really didnt like 21st century breakdown. It's like they interntionally were trying to write as many hooks as possible and made it too pop. Any edge they had to them was lost with that album.

Cant say I'm surprised to see so many Rush fans hammering them here. I just wonder if those doing it have heard them in depth? confused13.gif

Interesting post! Even though I don't like Green Day at all, I'm not that naive to know that they have musical talent. Just not my bag baby as Austin Powers would say.

Hey, you just typed the word "Knack."

That is very strange as "Get The Knack" is actually playing on my stereo right now!

Strange.

Signed,

My Sharona

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 5 2010, 10:16 PM)
I think Green Day is okay. I don't get all the drooling over American Idiot! I just don't get it! confused13.gif

Drooling over the Fooling.

+1

I will never get it...........

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 6 2010, 10:12 AM)

the fact is it sold over 10 million more copies than moving pictures, so it clearly does not suck.

Well, Britney Spears "Oops, I Did It Again" sold 15 million more albums than Moving Pictures. I'd still say that that album sucks. I heard that album many times through obsessed nieces

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 6 2010, 07:46 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 6 2010, 10:12 AM)

the fact is it sold over 10 million more copies than moving pictures, so it clearly does not suck.

Well, Britney Spears "Oops, I Did It Again" sold 15 million more albums than Moving Pictures. I'd still say that that album sucks. I heard that album many times through obsessed nieces

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 4 2010, 12:55 AM)
Apologies in advance to Xanadu93, but I have hated Green Day since they debuted in '94. Their lead singer needs sinus surgery or something - he always sounds congested.

laugh.gif trink39.gif

I wish I could give Rush a +1 vote in this poll, and Green Day a -1.

I voted Rush, but I have a lot of love for Greenday. Dookie, American Idiot, and 21st Century Breakdown are all great albums. They'll never be as good as Rush, but they do have some badass songs.

Archived