Rush & Springsteen

QUOTE (jonfiredaman02 @ Jul 13 2010, 09:41 PM)
But I never really understood my taste in music. It doesn't make sense, even to me. My favorite musical artists: Rush, Devo, The Decemberists, Parliament/Funkadelic,Stevie Wonder, Bruce.

Have you heard the new Devo yet? Thoughts??

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jonfiredaman02 @ Jul 13 2010, 05:41 AM)
But I never really understood my taste in music. It doesn't make sense, even to me. My favorite musical artists: Rush, Devo, The Decemberists, Parliament/Funkadelic,Stevie Wonder, Bruce. None of them (except for p-funk and stevie) have anything in common. What can I say?

Your favorite acts don't have to have anything in common. My favorites are Rush, Yes, My Chemical Romance, Green Day, U2, Radiohead, blink-182, Fall Out Boy, Muse, and Morrissey.

Oh... I'm not a huge Decemberists fan (yet) but I love The Hazards of Love. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jul 13 2010, 07:22 PM)
QUOTE (jonfiredaman02 @ Jul 13 2010, 09:41 PM)
But I never really understood my taste in music. It doesn't make sense, even to me. My favorite musical artists: Rush, Devo, The Decemberists, Parliament/Funkadelic,Stevie Wonder, Bruce.

Have you heard the new Devo yet? Thoughts??

I have. I love it! IT sounds a lot like New Traditionalists, but with more updated songs. I got the digital download version because it has songs that were left off the CD, like Watch Us Work It, which I personally think is the best cut on the album. Devo has really found themselves again. Incredible synth sounds, funny lyrics, and quirky yet catchy lyrics. It's the perfect Devo package. Now if only they were going to play a show in New York City...

I can appreciate Springsteen as a songwriter and the free spirit, Americana, 1970s, New Jerseyite thing he immortalized, but I'm not really a fan. I went to see him in concert a couple years ago, but only to say "I've seen him." I probably wouldn't have even done that much if someone hadn't approached me with an extra ticket.

Bruce Springsteen is pretty much the soundtrack for middle-aged-mouth-breathers everywhere.

I am a music lover of all types and sizes but that guy just sucks to no end. Gotta give it up to him for lasting this long and still being able to do his thing at his age....but he thing still sucks bad.

Q: You know what you get when you mix "folk" rock and New Jersey?

A: Aides.

Yes, but not for the same reasons. It's like: Do I like blue? Yes. Do I hate red because it's not blue? No. I like red too.

I mean, if you don't like red, that's fine. But I like them both.

I've always considered Springsteen and John Mellencamp to be two of a kind. They both represent the blue collar workers. Springsteen makes me think of construction crews whereas Mellencamp makes me think of farmers.

No. Only Rush

I'm a fan of the Boss. And I'm a fan of Rush.

Put against eachother i would choose Rush ofc since I'm a progrock kinda rocker, but I dont think in those terms normaly since I listen to what i feel like for the moment.

Boss and Rush comes from different schools, where Rush is influenced by bluesrockers and psychadelic acts, Springsteen is more of a traditional singer/songwriter-type a' folk/rock etc.

I like how alot of Springsteen's songs becomes anthems almost without trying.

Aspiring to capture the feeling of the storytelling which his lyrics are.

In my opinion Bruce Springsteen easily can hold his own among the great songwriters.

I also like how he is keeping it real, no sell out shit - he does what he does.

bacon.gif burger2.gif hotdog.gif cat.gif

I don't hate Bruce but I don't love everything he's ever done either. His earlier stuff through the mid 80's has some stellar stuff, though. Rosalita is a killer song. And as I've discovered just this past Winter - listening to Born To Run (the album) from start to finish is astounding.

QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 28 2011, 03:06 PM)
I don't hate Bruce but I don't love everything he's ever done either. His earlier stuff through the mid 80's has some stellar stuff, though. Rosalita is a killer song. And as I've discovered just this past Winter - listening to Born To Run (the album) from start to finish is astounding.

I had Born To Run on yesterday, following along with the lyrics...great album!