ALBUQUERQUE 6/29 - my detailed review

chrxtopher

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that's why I'm glad I looked at the setlist so early. Now I'm over the initial disappointment of them omitting Jacob's Ladder and whatnot. Now I can go to my shows and love them for what they are...RUSH! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Great review dude, thanks. trink39.gif

Great review and being an old time veteran of Rush concerts I feel your pain about the setlist. So many times I left feeling the same, always wanting to hear one or two songs they didn't play. I'm sure they have their reasons and I am glad to know in advance now so I don't have that dissapointment.

As you said though, the majority of it is great and will never satifsy everyone. I'm sure as you venture through the various concerts you'll come to really appreciate the fact that you are just there hearing them period.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jul 1 2010, 10:22 AM)
I saw several videos of this show on YouTube. Their performance and musical quality here is akin to Rush "Lite". Too casual and unimpassioned. I won't be attending this one...

I think I'm going to check those videos out as well before making my decision. Thanks.

I think people's expectations regarding song choices were way too high. That's probably partly the band's fault, they DID sort of hype this as a B-side type tour, and with Alex's mention of JL that never came to pass I can understand why a lot of people are frustrated. But I guess I sort of expected this, it's the same type of setlist they've been doing for years.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 1 2010, 01:39 PM)
I saw several videos of this show on YouTube.  Their performance and musical quality here is akin to Rush "Lite".  Too casual and unimpassioned. I won't be attending this one...

I think I'm going to check those videos out as well before making my decision. Thanks.

Yeah, its very anticlimactic imo. There doesn't seem to much in the way of passion or even chemistry. Its bizarre not seeing them play with gusto. I don't like it. Maybe they're bored and feel they have to do this although they really aren't pressed to.

Of course music won't sound too great from a net phone, but I can tell it suffers here. Its like comparing molded plastic to real wood and craftsmanship. I'll get more satisfaction listening to my old CDs and boots in my own home! trink39.gif

I saw several videos of this show on YouTube.  Their performance and musical quality here is akin to Rush "Lite".  Too casual and unimpassioned. I won't be attending this one...

Don't....You tube audio is compete garbage.....it's f***ing Rush dude.

Go to the show.

Great review Chris. Unfortunately the "die-hard" Rush fans are in the minority, so they have to appeal to what they think would be the major concert goers, the casual fan. Although I absolutely loved hearing Circumstances on S&A, I did notice a lot of folks at the venues I went to became quiet, not familiar with the song.

At the end of this tour I will hit my 58th Rush show. Although I love the band I know I will hear songs that are predictable and in their comfort zone. In all honesty, I may yearn for the "oldies" but I am glad I still get to hear this band continue to make new music and watch them perform live. It won't last forever!

Great honest review.

You truly sound like a fan! An honest fan that's able to lay it on the line so to speak! All your frustrations on the set list are echoed throught out and warrented! Specially after alex claimed they'd be doing Jacobs Ladder. Anyway it is RUSH and I can't wait to see their last show here in West Palm!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 2.gif trink39.gif 1287.gif icon_alienjig.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jul 1 2010, 02:21 PM)

Great review Chris. Unfortunately the "die-hard" Rush fans are in the minority, so they have to appeal to what they think would be the major concert goers, the casual fan. Although I absolutely loved hearing Circumstances on S&A, I did notice a lot of folks at the venues I went to became quiet, not familiar with the song.

At the end of this tour I will hit my 58th Rush show. Although I love the band I know I will hear songs that are predictable and in their comfort zone. In all honesty, I may yearn for the "oldies" but I am glad I still get to hear this band continue to make new music and watch them perform live. It won't last forever!

Wow, 58 times. You should get some sort of recognition for that....like Rush playing more classic songs.

"Many beers were consumed along with some awesome green chile cheese fries"

http://healthy-natural-colon-cleanse.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/600px-Fart.svg_.png

Yeah, I wouldn't bother going.

Then you guys can skip the 2011 tour because they'll be playing too many Clockwork Angels tunes.

Then hopefully they'll retire from touring and you'll never have to worry about seeing them live again.

eyesre4.gif

As far as I remember, the B-sides thing was mentioned once by Alex in an interview two or three years ago. This tour was never billed as a B-sides tour that I heard. Of course, it was Alex who brought up JL in an interview, as well. When, oh when, will people learn not to listen to Alex?

Alex really did look to be struggling with arthritis or some form of joint pain - as I mentioned elsewhere, he was warming up on the side with the TSOR opening riff.

It is a distinct possibility that some of the setlist may have been chosen with the wants and needs of the band in mind. Geddy did peg "Free Will" last night, but they still drop-tuned 2112. I'm a bass player, not a guitarist, but I saw that Alex did simplify solos and often got a bit behind on the really fast licks. I was "playing" along, and despite being in the dry desert and me being a good 10+ years younger, found that my own finger joints were having a tough time keeping up. Perhaps he was intentionally kept down in the mix while they assessed his playing. At any rate - we'll have another batch of telegrams coming in from KC tonight and I wish I were there!

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 1 2010, 02:43 PM)
And why do you take offense to that fact he may NOT be going? Does it really bother you that much?

I don't take offense at all. In fact, I do hope some of the loudest complainers will stay home. I can only imagine them standing at the show, arms crossed, fuming to themselves and wanting to gripe about the setlist to those standing around them. rage.gif confused13.gif

I just hope all the negativity doesn't turn off younger fans or folks who haven't seen Rush that often.

And, I have to wonder if the boycotters will take a lot of satisfaction when Rush is retired in 5 years (or sooner), knowing that they passed on this tour because they were so uptight about the setlist. confused13.gif

Edited by PariahDog

I encourage the early retirement of Rush...I've seen enough mediocrity in their performance and recordings in recent years. Get out before they embarrass themselves any further. They are only tarnishing their past greatness by giving these half efforts. Edited by GeminiRising79