Neil's Essay from the TM Tourbook?

The Sphere

I ordered my copy from the Backstage Club so I didn't have to wait for the boys to hit my are in late July.

The book shipped and I expect to have it in hand tomorrow. I'll begin by OCR'ing the text (transcribing it) before working on the images...

Hope to have it completed by the end of the week if all goes well and my scanner cooperates smile.gif

QUOTE (Jag2112 @ Jul 5 2010, 07:09 PM)
I ordered my copy from the Backstage Club so I didn't have to wait for the boys to hit my are in late July.

The book shipped and I expect to have it in hand tomorrow. I'll begin by OCR'ing the text (transcribing it) before working on the images...

Hope to have it completed by the end of the week if all goes well and my scanner cooperates smile.gif

applaudit.gif

QUOTE (quickfree @ Jul 5 2010, 04:26 PM)
Cygnus X-1.net is also scanning it soon.

Watch that space also.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/tourdates.php#TMT_2010

WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Jag2112 @ Jul 5 2010, 06:09 PM)

By "the end of the week," you mean this afternoon, right?

biggrin.gif

ALBUM SPOILERS...

"I told the guys about an idea for a fictional world that had interested me lately, thinking it would make a great setting, maybe for a suite of songs that told a story."

"The guys seemed intrigued by the concept, and at home in Southern California, I started working on a story and some lyrics along those lines, set in a world driven by steam, intricate clockworks, and alchemy-"a world lit only by fire" (title of a history of medieval times by William Manchester)."

So it looks like Clockwork Angels will be Rush's first full-blown concept/story album. Wow, how cool that they would do something ambitious like this so far into their career. I also love the fact that this will probably be bashed left and right by music critics as more proof of Rush's nerd status. But at least they'll have to talk about Rush's "nerdy new steampunk album" instead of their "nerdy new Middle Earth album." tongue.gif I can't freaking wait to see what they come up with. 1022.gif

This was my favorite part:

Geddy brought up a project that has long appealed to him-collecting all of our instrumentals into one album, and perhaps writing a new one to go with them.

"Maybe something a little more extended," he said

That just about made me drool. I so hope they follow through with this.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jul 10 2010, 05:06 PM)
ALBUM SPOILERS...

"I told the guys about an idea for a fictional world that had interested me lately, thinking it would make a great setting, maybe for a suite of songs that told a story."

"The guys seemed intrigued by the concept, and at home in Southern California, I started working on a story and some lyrics along those lines, set in a world driven by steam, intricate clockworks, and alchemy-"a world lit only by fire" (title of a history of medieval times by William Manchester)."

So it looks like Clockwork Angels will be Rush's first full-blown concept/story album. Wow, how cool that they would do something ambitious like this so far into their career. I also love the fact that this will probably be bashed left and right by music critics as more proof of Rush's nerd status. But at least they'll have to talk about Rush's "nerdy new steampunk album" instead of their "nerdy new Middle Earth album." tongue.gif I can't freaking wait to see what they come up with. 1022.gif

It sounds to me like its going to just be the normal 10-13 songs or so, except that the lyrics tell a story, unlike most of their previous albums where the album revolves around a central concept, but doesnt tell a story.

I dont expect a concept album like Hemispheres where its got a 20 minute epic song on it that is just berserk musically. Im not about to go and get my hopes up for something like that.

Im pretty much just expecting a normal rush album, except the lyrics are all connected.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jul 10 2010, 05:06 PM)
ALBUM SPOILERS...

this is very interesting to me but i wonder how bu2b and the bashing of religion or belief ties in with this.

QUOTE (Jag2112 @ Jul 10 2010, 04:26 PM)
Tour Book is also available here:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/tourbo...achine-tour.php

I'm in the process of scanning all of the images... There are a LOT of them, so it'll take a little time.

A few images are available at the link above, including all of the liner notes and Neil's essay.

Enjoy-

Thank you! smile.gif