Any links to any youtube videos (SPOILERS)

rushnmike

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 2 2010, 03:38 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 2 2010, 12:18 AM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 2 2010, 02:38 AM)
QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jun 30 2010, 06:51 PM)
Has this been posted yet? Much better video.

Caravan

Alex's Guitar solo for this song in studio is probably the worst Rush guitar solo ever...

The worst? What makes it the worst in your opinion?

the tone and the lack of creativity. It seems like he didn't even try, just threw in a few notes and bends. I'd rather them just continue with riffs instead.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

No, the solo in "Caravan" won't go down as a classic and epic Alex solo like in "Freewill" or "La Villa", but he has a fat tone (how you think his tone is bad is beyond me), he makes a nice descending run before the intentionally "sloppy" and weird ascending one, and the slow bends at the end go nicely with what's going on underneath it. "Caravan" is a quirky song, and Alex, always the team player, did what he does best -- he played a quirky solo that fit the song.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 2 2010, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 2 2010, 03:38 AM)

Caravan

Alex's Guitar solo for this song in studio is probably the worst Rush guitar solo ever...

the tone and the lack of creativity. It seems like he didn't even try, just threw in a few notes and bends. I'd rather them just continue with riffs instead.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

No, the solo in "Caravan" won't go down as a classic and epic Alex solo like in "Freewill" or "La Villa", but he has a fat tone (how you think his tone is bad is beyond me), he makes a nice descending run before the intentionally "sloppy" and weird ascending one, and the slow bends at the end go nicely with what's going on underneath it. "Caravan" is a quirky song, and Alex, always the team player, did what he does best -- he played a quirky solo that fit the song.

I agree. Of course its all personal taste, but the solo to me "fits" the song.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 30 2010, 10:05 PM)

Caravan

Good job on that song. The instrumental section got a nice cheer. yes.gif

I've already commented on this song but I must say after watching this video several times.....This kicks ass!!! You can tell they really love playing this song, especially Neil. You can always tell he's really into it when he's twisting his head on those snare beats. Again I say his best performance in a long time! Even Ged gives him a look after the jam section as if to say damn, that was good! Ged and Alex just kickin' it too. The lead/jam section is amazing. This song alone has me fired up for my show in Vegas. Well, add Camera Eye to the excitement too of course.

I must say I'm very surprised how many people think BU2B is better than Caravan. I just don't see it myself. In fact, I don't think it's even close. But whatever.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jul 3 2010, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Jul 3 2010, 10:23 AM)
Time Stand Still

musically it sounds great... but why is Geddy straining trying to sing it that high? He should just sing it like the original.

confused13.gif

he has always sang it like that live.

I actually think he sounds marginally better than when he sang in on the CP tour (in the bootlegs I have heard).

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 2 2010, 04:32 AM)
QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 2 2010, 12:43 AM)

Caravan

eyesre4.gif

NWK, you have the opposite mind set of most people here (the mind set of most being: old Rush was great, new Rush is dull). You always seem to support any of Rush's recent works no matter what, and I get that you're just defending your favorite era and all, but you're overdoing it.

Compare the solo in Caravan to any solo from Power Windows (just a random example) ...Or if you want to be more fair, compare Caravan to another slow solo: Subdivisions, or the one in Faithless.

I originally wrote this big long response, but then I realized I was defending New Rush > Old Rush, mostly, and that's not what I'm here to do.

It's all a matter of opinion. I see just as much creativity in Alex's solos now as I do from back then. That's the simple way of me saying it. The more elaborate way was a post that was starting too look like an essay.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 2 2010, 01:38 AM)

Caravan

Alex's Guitar solo for this song in studio is probably the worst Rush guitar solo ever. How come he decides to play it so much better live?

AlexFinal.gif

did ya listen to the solo? big al brought it on that one! just cuz your not familiar with it...don't bash it. the man knows how to lay down sweet leads. your loss if you don';t hear it on this one...

QUOTE (New World Manny @ Jul 4 2010, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (Joshua @ Jul 4 2010, 08:41 AM)
QUOTE (farcryoverspilledmilk @ Jul 4 2010, 01:49 AM)
Vital Signs from tonight wink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB3nPopwgw0

Wonder what the early guitar switch was all about there.

Broken string.

Yup.

Right before he starts singing, you can just hear Geddy say "You don't need that one".

I have a boot from a very early show (Tampa?) on the S&A tour where Alex's ES355 was hideously out of tune when they started the encore with OLV.

These things happen.

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Jul 3 2010, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jul 3 2010, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Jul 3 2010, 10:23 AM)
Time Stand Still

musically it sounds great... but why is Geddy straining trying to sing it that high? He should just sing it like the original.

confused13.gif

he has always sang it like that live.

I actually think he sounds marginally better than when he sang in on the CP tour (in the bootlegs I have heard).

Problem is he cant sing high anymore, but he still tries. I agree with that guy, he really should not strain himself like that. If he cant hit the notes smoothly, then dont even try it because he sounds terrible when he does it.

I would be much happier to hear him sing low and sound good.

They did this with the new songs, both are very low vocally. Even the highs in both songs are actually low, but sound higher because the rest is so low, he should do this with every rush song and they all would sound better, tune them all down, sing lower, then the highs will sound much better since they will not actually be nearly as high as they were on record.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 3 2010, 10:25 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 2 2010, 01:38 AM)

Caravan

Alex's Guitar solo for this song in studio is probably the worst Rush guitar solo ever. How come he decides to play it so much better live?

AlexFinal.gif

did ya listen to the solo? big al brought it on that one! just cuz your not familiar with it...don't bash it. the man knows how to lay down sweet leads. your loss if you don';t hear it on this one...

it's always a fan's loss when they don't like work from their favorite band.

I like it live - hate it in studio.