Rush photos I took 1980/1981

PhoenixMike

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 1 2010, 02:46 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 1 2010, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE (PhoenixMike @ Jul 1 2010, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 1 2010, 08:29 AM)
Watch me play Hemispheres prelude on bass......
http://www.youtube.com/v/p2TOi4MvoOI&hl=en_US&fs=1

Thanks, and I have to say, I checked out your Hemispheres prelude bass video on YouTube and thought it was amazing! I played bass in a band for years and was never that proficient! I hope you record some more..

Mike

Thanks Mike!

I'm glad you liked that.

I hope to do some more very soon.

I just set up my Fender GL Jazz Bass and it's ready to rock.

wow that was really good Krinkle. I have that exact same wine colored 4001. 1980?

Thanks Rushman14!

Just a little something I did last Sept.

The color on that 1980 Rickenbacker 4001 is called 'burgandyglo'.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 1 2010, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 1 2010, 02:46 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 1 2010, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE (PhoenixMike @ Jul 1 2010, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 1 2010, 08:29 AM)
Watch me play Hemispheres prelude on bass......
http://www.youtube.com/v/p2TOi4MvoOI&hl=en_US&fs=1

Thanks, and I have to say, I checked out your Hemispheres prelude bass video on YouTube and thought it was amazing! I played bass in a band for years and was never that proficient! I hope you record some more..

Mike

Thanks Mike!

I'm glad you liked that.

I hope to do some more very soon.

I just set up my Fender GL Jazz Bass and it's ready to rock.

wow that was really good Krinkle. I have that exact same wine colored 4001. 1980?

Thanks Rushman14!

Just a little something I did last Sept.

The color on that 1980 Rickenbacker 4001 is called 'burgandyglo'.

that's the one! trink39.gif

I need to break that sucker out. It hasn't seen the light of day in quite a few years.

oh, and great photos Mike!

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Jul 1 2010, 02:33 PM)
For Milwaukee and both Chicago shows I'm still using my Pentax K1000 SLR with a 135mm lens.
I'll shoot Fuji 1600 print film. (because the 800 is not going to arrive in time for the shows) I'd rather shoot slides but the film is getting harder to get and I'm not even sure if Fuji has a good 800 slide film.
Anyway....

I usually shoot at 1/125 @ f5.6 and have the focus ring within a foot or two of focus.

I hope to shoot digital for the next tour. What digital camera would you suggest?
I've heard stay away from Panasonic gear, although it is good (FZ35) when you need a repair you might as well get another camera.

I've seen good quality stuff from Canon powershot cameras.
I'd like to have a zoom that will equal my 135mm lens and a camera that is good for lower and changing color light like at concerts.

Not too many good low light/zoom cameras to choose from, from what I've seen.

I'd love a pro digital camera like some of those Nikon and Canon digital SLR's but I don't have two grand for a camera body, and then I'd need a lens. I'd need a home equity loan for that. wacko.gif

And the odds of getting in a concert with that kind of gear are slim.

Unless you have somewhere to hide it. Or a pass.

I started with a Pentax K-1000! I used a Pentax MX for these shots, which was leaning toward a pro camera. Now I use a Canon 50D digital SLR plus a range of zoom lens. Back then, bell bottom jeans were still in fashion, and I used to sneak in the camera under one pant leg and the lens under the other! Once I got the camera in, they never questioned my having it. I even got away with some flash shots, as you can see. Never get away with that nowdays with the metal detectors!

Canon Powershots are a good camera, but not sure how they would work in concerts, unless you can get pretty close. They would be worth checking out.

Mike

QUOTE (PhoenixMike @ Jun 28 2010, 06:52 PM)
This is my first post, so "Hi" to everyone! I've been a Rush fan since 1976 and thought you would like to see some vintage photos I've taken of them. The first is from Cobo Arena, Detroit, 1980. My first Rush concert..

Mike

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4744582548_333989ace6_o.jpg

Mike! Are you a pro?

Your pictures are fantastic!!!

Welcome To The Rush Jungle!!

Earl

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 3 2010, 02:00 PM)
Mike!  Are you a pro?

Your pictures are fantastic!!! 

Welcome To The Rush Jungle!!

Earl

Thanks.. I wasn't at the time! I'm doing photography for a living now.. mostly product photography and some drag racing, which I also love. I had friends telling me way back then I should have been doing it (rock photography) for a living but I never took it seriously.

Not Rush related, but here is a shot I'll share that I'm proud of.. Van Halen, 1980 in Detroit. Eddie had just finished playing a great solo, the crowd went nuts and he jumped on a stack of amps about 20 feet in front of me, threw his arms up and I snapped the pic. I like the backlighting from a stage light. I didn't even have a ticket to get into this concert.. I met a girl there while I was looking for a scalped ticket and she happened to have a backstage pass. She let me go in with her thru the backstage entrance!

Mike

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4758886660_9883b4feff_b.jpg

What an incredible collection of Rush photos and memorabilia! You just mentioned Van Halen, so I'm wondering what other bands you saw in the 70s. Led Zeppelin, perhaps? And do you need an assistant to help you catalog all this great stuff? wink.gif

QUOTE (Skin Bag @ Jul 4 2010, 01:35 AM)
What an incredible collection of Rush photos and memorabilia! You just mentioned Van Halen, so I'm wondering what other bands you saw in the 70s. Led Zeppelin, perhaps? And do you need an assistant to help you catalog all this great stuff? wink.gif

I just missed out on Led Zeppelin.. I had tickets on order for the 1980 shows in Detroit, John Bonham died a week after I ordered. sad.gif

I saw the Rolling Stones, Kiss, AC/DC and quite a few more bands starting in the late 70's. Lots of bands.. lots of memories!

Mike

QUOTE (troutman @ Jul 4 2010, 07:00 PM)
Awesome!!! 1022.gif

I saw VH first tour. I had Alex's drum sticks in my sight but my sister got in my way. rage.gif tongue.gif

Trout! I never knew this, or if you had written it on here before then I'm sorry that I forgot about it or never read it.

I am very jealous! That must have been incredible.

My only saving grace is at least I saw the 1984 Tour when I was 16 at the Cow Palace. It was fantastic!!

REAL VAN HALEN RULES! 1022.gif

SAM HALEN DROOLS!!

QUOTE (Mystic Rythm @ Jul 4 2010, 08:33 PM)
Great pic's Mike. My first show was 1981 so these pic's bring back some memries for me too. Awesome. trink39.gif

I'm very jealous of you too!!

I would have died to see the "Fair Warning" Tour.

I have a boot of that tour at the Cow Palace in SF I think somewhere on dvd.

They were untouchable.

I love that black and white striped drum kit!!!!!

UNCHAINED!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Jul 5 2010, 10:10 AM)
Mike,

Great pics.
One small item...The pics you say are from JLA, well at least that 1st pic is from Cobo.
You can tell by the seating and backdrop.

You are right! After posting I realized I mixed the two up. I went back and checked the ticket stubs. Thanks for pointing it out.

Mike

It's interesting to see the transitional period with their hair styles. You have Alex with much shorter hair and Neil buzzed, in just a one year period. I wonder what the 'hippie' fans thought of that when they saw them in '81. Edited by Majestyk

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Jul 9 2010, 02:32 PM)
It's interesting to see the transitional period with their hair styles. You have Alex with much shorter hair and Neil buzzed, in just a one year period. I wonder what the 'hippie' fans thought of that when they saw them in '81.

Your wondering post made me think and remember....

Those hippies didn't think about it as much as you might think. There were few chances to see [images of] Rush other than in concert, the occasional rock mag, or in album pics. Sure, MTV came around and gave them much more exposure. But less access to pics and information meant less chances to critique and brood about things the band was doing or wearing. I was not even 10 [but already a Rush fan] in '80 & '81 and my bros were hardcore Rush junkies. I remember when those new albums (PeW & MP) came out...the Blaze bros made comments like, "Lifeson chopped his hair", "Neil got rid of his moustache", and "Geddy's pretty much the same." And that was that. But the nonstop access of the internet has changed the way we analyze bands...i.e. non-stop dissection from every angle.