Rehearsal Setlist according to RIAB

Sfam2112

QUOTE (Don Quixote @ Jun 29 2010, 03:26 PM)
Let's also not forget the possibility that The Camera Eye could be truncated and or changed up according to Alex.

They already did that way back in 1982!

Edited by ReRushed

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mountaineeroflamneth @ Jun 29 2010, 12:17 PM)
yada yada yada, blah blah blah, still sound great to me, the only strange selection to me is faithless, it kind of drags along, would have rather they broke out with we hold on but I don't really care, RUSH in 6 freak'n hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you better be posting the set while your watching the show. I dont care if you're distracted! 1287.gif

I love this band. I'm 40 and they have been my favorite since I was 11. All I can think and feel right now after seeing that set list is that by calling the tour Time Machine they had the chance to do something really special with this set list. To play things they might knowingly never break out again and to due something that would truly wow and surprise us. As much as I love them, and I do, I can't wait to see them, I just feel like they really let a golden opportunity go by with this set list.

Have they ever really addressed the reasons for being done with the early stuff? I am curious to know. I'm 43 years old and Rush has been my favorite band since I was a kid. I've moved on from a lot of stuff I was listening to at that time, but not Rush. I've never heard anything that has moved me the way Rush did (and still does), all the way up through GUP. I'm not tired of the old stuff, will never be tired of the old stuff, and am curious as to why the band is, especially since they haven't touched it in years. They aren't likely to write better material, and if they get tired of the new stuff, they've got a whole catalog full of stuff just waiting to be played.

I know a lot of people who like Rush. I never hear any of them say stuff like "Man, do you think they'll play a bunch of stuff off Counterparts?", or sit around listening to Hold Your Fire all night. Before I got my tickets to this tour, I asked 10-12 people if they were going. Most couldn't, but even the ones who couldn't asked me if I thought they'd play anything from AFTK, COS, Hemispheres, etc. Then they'll ask, "Hey, is the new stuff any good?" Most of them haven't even heard the new stuff, but they sure as hell know the old stuff. People crave the old stuff and I think the band might be surprised at how it would be received.

Really, how many of you listen to FM radio or sit around watching music videos? If I'm listening to music on the radio, it's XM or bust for me. People don't hear new music the way they used to. I don't know how many casual fans Rush really has, anyway. Everyone I know either loves them or hates them. Let me qualify that also, be saying that everyone I know that likes Rush pretty much falls into the category of white males between the age of 25-50. That's a pretty solid group to have as your clientele from a business perspective. You don't just have a bunch of kids out spending daddy's money at a Rush show. Daddy's there himself, spending his own money. If they started playing deeper stuff, a lot of older fans who haven't bothered to come see them in years would come crawling out of the woodwork.

This is a really selfish perspective. Are you really surprised that any artist would be more enthusiastic about work they did 30 years ago vs. their more current work?

And yes, they've addressed this many times. Neil said once that listening to their old albums is the equivalent to looking at drawings he did in kindergarten. Not much room for interpretation there.....

Peace,

Ron

Yeah, we get they like the new stuff more, but I think many Rush fans dont. There are more Rush fans out there that like the old stuff than the new stuff, a lot more of them, so why wouldnt rush make any effort to satisfy all of them with just a couple good oldies? Thats all it takes.

because they know fans will still break down and buy the tickets even if they play a poop setlist. their thinking is, we'll get to play what we want, the fans will get over it and live with it, and we basically don't care what they want to hear. people will still turn out and still buy the merchandise.

Edited by ReflectedLight

QUOTE (OxalisWombo @ Jun 29 2010, 09:28 AM)
From the 2007 thread where the set of the first leg of the S&A tour was initially leaked:

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/OxalisWombo/rushfans.jpg

I'm guessing this is supposed to make us feel guilty or something.. Not going to work, the 1st set blows and some dude saying "we're such good fans" isn't going to change that.

I haven't really been one to degrade on this band here, but I'm starting to get why people do it.. Rush is so great and fans expect so much from them.. So when they do the slightest thing that a fan is dissappointed with, they'll go crazy.... Makes sense.

Well, I have to admit I was bummed when I saw first this setlist, tentative as it may be. I'm still hoping that they'll play a few more of the songs we are all hyped up on, but I certainly don't get the people who talk about how they'll sell their tickets if this turns out to be the true list. Give them a break. Personally, I don't like much of their post-MP music, but that doesn't mean it won't be great live. They always give their synth-period songs a boost when played live, especially in recent years. It's nonsense to shit on the songs choices of the last prog-rock band standing - still making great music and putting on top-notch shows.

If Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett rejoined Genesis to tour the entirety of "Selling England by the Pound" and ELP decided to reform to play "Tarkus" and "Brain Salad Surgery" back to back on a national tour, then maybe there would be more justification in the vitriol being spewed here. Last time I checked, however, that's not going to happen, and I don't think Robert Fripp or Bill Bruford want to come back and play any old KC material. Rush is still the most musically adept band on the planet, let's enjoy it while it lasts, eh?

I never hear any of them say stuff like "Man, do you think they'll play a bunch of stuff off Counterparts?", or sit around listening to Hold Your Fire all night.

Just caught this.

Um... I do. Counterparts doesn't get as much play as some others, but I do spin HYF, Presto and other 'lesser liked' albums on a regular basis. More often, in fact, than Rush, CoS, Hemispheres and 2112 combined.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 29 2010, 02:47 PM)
I never hear any of them say stuff like "Man, do you think they'll play a bunch of stuff off Counterparts?", or sit around listening to Hold Your Fire all night.

Just caught this.

Um... I do. Counterparts doesn't get as much play as some others, but I do spin HYF, Presto and other 'lesser liked' albums on a regular basis. More often, in fact, than Rush, CoS, Hemispheres and 2112 combined.

Thats you, you're just 1 guy. Its without question that most Rush fans would rather hear old stuff than counterparts or any of those albums.

There is something I like about all of their albums, but when it comes to seeing them live, uh yeah I think id rather hear Bastille Day or something like that over between sun and moon or any song off that album honestly.

I just programmed my itunes and listened to the rumored first set. it's actually gonna be pretty rockin. Stick It Out is really good tune. Edited by Rushman14

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 29 2010, 01:01 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 29 2010, 03:00 PM)
I just programmed my itunes and listened to the rumored first set. it's actually gonna be pretty rockin. Stick It Out is really good tune.

stop trying to hype it up. tongue.gif

laugh.gif I'm still trying to drum up some enthusiasm for Faithless.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 29 2010, 02:52 PM)

Just caught this.

Thats you, you're just 1 guy. Its without question that most Rush fans would rather hear old stuff than counterparts or any of those albums.

There is something I like about all of their albums, but when it comes to seeing them live, uh yeah I think id rather hear Bastille Day or something like that over between sun and moon or any song off that album honestly.

Yeah, and you're just one guy, too. We all have our ideas of what "most" fans want, don't we? I'll grant that probably there are more people who favor MP over HYF for example, but there's more to coming up with a setlist than saying "well, I guess *everyone* likes PeW and MP the best, so let's just play all of those, and throw in another 90 minutes of stuff off of 2112, AFTK and Hemispheres".

As I've said elsewhere, the people who stopped "bothering to support the band" (an actual quote from someone) 30 years ago, those aren't the people Rush should give a damn about. Mix it up, old and new.

I like this setlist quite a bit. No whining from me. no.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 29 2010, 03:05 PM)

Just caught this.

Yeah, and you're just one guy, too. We all have our ideas of what "most" fans want, don't we? I'll grant that probably there are more people who favor MP over HYF for example, but there's more to coming up with a setlist than saying "well, I guess *everyone* likes PeW and MP the best, so let's just play all of those, and throw in another 90 minutes of stuff off of 2112, AFTK and Hemispheres".

As I've said elsewhere, the people who stopped "bothering to support the band" (an actual quote from someone) 30 years ago, those aren't the people Rush should give a damn about. Mix it up, old and new.

Ive been to every tour since PeW, Ive seen how people react to the new songs. On the S&A tour, the place died during the start of that 2nd set, then blew up when Subdivisions kicked in.

I notice this on every tour, the new stuff is when people start going on beer runs. You think a single person would leave if they fired up Bastille Day? Nope.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 29 2010, 03:04 PM)
I just programmed my itunes and listened to the rumored first set. it's actually gonna be pretty rockin. Stick It Out is really good tune.

i'd like to use one of my beers breaks with faithless and i'll save my phone a friend for later. laugh.gif

songs 2-8 are good songs, but if you were told that songs 11-26 were going to be on the set-list every fan would be thinking it would be awesome. Any which way can't wait. I'd love to see them play a small venue unplugged and play a bunch of 'b' sided songs. Doesn't much matter - always an amazing fun show. Excitement so thick - you can cut it with a knife!

QUOTE (bryan @ Jun 29 2010, 03:14 PM)
songs 2-8 are good songs, but if you were told that songs 11-26 were going to be on the set-list every fan would be thinking it would be awesome. Any which way can't wait. I'd love to see them play a small venue unplugged and play a bunch of 'b' sided songs. Doesn't much matter - always an amazing fun show. Excitement so thick - you can cut it with a knife!

unplugged? hell no. and hell no to the orchestra stuff that geddy would like to do.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 29 2010, 04:09 PM)

i'd like to use one of my beers breaks with faithless and i'll save my phone a friend for later. laugh.gif

I'll be rocking to that excellent tune! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 29 2010, 03:17 PM)

and i will quietly resist by taking a beer break. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 29 2010, 01:22 PM)

yes I will have an empty bladder and a fresh beverage by the time BU2B starts. common001.gif

You get it from me. I love the song and some of the best guitar on the whole album. I'm thrilled they are playing it.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 29 2010, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 29 2010, 01:22 PM)

yes I will have an empty bladder and a fresh beverage by the time BU2B starts. common001.gif

and i'll just be walking over to the food court beer in hand. trink38.gif

Just caught this.

Funny that you picked Between Sun and Moon. That's the only song on the album I really would like to hear.

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 29 2010, 03:43 PM)

Just caught this.

Funny that you picked Between Sun and Moon. That's the only song on the album I really would like to hear.

cut to the chase would kick ass live but it's not happening.