Rehearsal Setlist according to RIAB

Sfam2112

QUOTE (OxalisWombo @ Jun 29 2010, 11:28 AM)
From the 2007 thread where the set of the first leg of the S&A tour was initially leaked:

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/OxalisWombo/rushfans.jpg

What is the point of this? I dont get it. And why do you have a screenshot of a message board from 3 years ago?

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (glennb2112 @ Jun 29 2010, 11:32 AM)
i cant say im thrilled with the setlist(if in fact its close to the "real" one). i would love to have a "b"-side tour like alex stated in a documentary or article a few years ago. so i ask this. would you prefer a stripped down set, less people and all the obscure stuff or a stadium tour with all the bells and whistles? it is all about the music so i would love a B-side tour!! gimme a B-side tour!!!! trink39.gif

Definitely a stripped down tour. It would be something different, like the old days.

Ive been to every tour since PoW, its pretty much the same thing every tour. They dont really change much. When you see some bands tour like Metallica for example, from one tour to the next the only thing related to each other are the band members. They change absolutely everything down to the shape of the freaking stage. Every time its a surprise, but every rush tour its always the same thing.

So a stripped down show would be very refreshing for me.

Has FOH Lights or The Sphere or Score Out popped in to chime in on the setlist?

That would be some sort of validation.

Or maybe, just maybe there is really a surprise that the original leakers of the setlist to RIAB left out and didn't mention on purpose

I don't believe there will be any rotation of songs. This is a shorter have fun tour for the band.

I'm still thinking that there might be a surprise (no knowledge, just hoping)

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 29 2010, 11:01 AM)
QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jun 29 2010, 10:20 AM)
I saw a friend at work after the last tour who loved Rush but mostly the old stuff and hadn't listened to any of the newer stuff so he was complaining.  The normal fan (aside from the hard core ones) will love this.  A mix of new, but plenty of old with all of Moving Pictures, 2112, Working Man, Closer to the Heart, Subdivisions etc.

Everyone has preferences and there's a couple I'd switch but all in all it's an understandable set list.  It will be a fantastic show.

I think you hit the nail on the head my friend.

The few hundred people that post on this forum reguarly are a minute sample of what the Rush audience will be.

Again, Rush is trying to put together a setlist that will please 3 groups of people:

1. Their hard core fans

2. Their casual fans that mainly only know the staples

3. Themselves! They have to enjoy what they're playing every night

This is not an easy thing to do. And reading through some of these threads it's comical to hear the different complaints:

"Not enough obscure songs from the vault"

"Where's all the GUP stuff"?

"Nothing off Vapor Trails"?

"Xanadu is a total Rush staple. How can they not play THAT?"

Rush can't win. This is a setlist designed to draw in a good 8000-12000 people on every show and I think they've accomplished that.

For all the people complaining to give Working Man, La Villa, Spirit, Closer to the Heart a rest, the other 95% of the people in the audience will be flipping out when they hear this!

"Stick it Out" may not be a favorite, but got a lot of video play at one time and even made it on Beavis and Butthead. It's recognizable

Time Stand Still same thing.

The hard cores should take a step back and realize this was never gonna be a true "B-Sides" tour for a couple thousand people every night (because that's what they'd draw). This is a major arena tour, and is a setlist I'd expect...

accept, yeah, I'm a little bummed about Jacob'sd Ladder LOL. But we'll see tonight, still crossing fingers

It shouldn't be hard to do, really...

They play on average 28 songs a show:

7 current album (or in this case, MP)

2 previous album

1 instrumental w/drums

1 acoustic guitar thing

12 staples, evenly distributed from 2112-VT

4 from the vault

1 unplayed or deeper cut from the past 10 years or so

Who would complain about that? Someone, I'm sure, but I bet there'd be less of it. All the oldies are really asking for is a couple of songs. Is that really that hard to do?

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 29 2010, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 29 2010, 09:54 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 29 2010, 09:01 AM)
I wish they would play some really old stuff, Best I Can, Lamneth, Necromancer, Something For Nothing or Twilight Zone, AFTK title track, maybe all of hemispheres, if they did 2112 they could do that. Throw in Jacobs Ladder, and Camera Eye, and youve got one hell of a setlist there.

I think the fans would really react well to that stuff at the shows. Instead its just another pretty safe rush setlist.

Best I can? Necromancer? Fountain of Lamneth? Do you really thin they will ever even sniff those songs again? Really, you have to be be real about anything before 2112. They are so done with most of the back catalog. I don't expect any of that stuff ever again and have not since the HYF tour.

They have brought back old songs in Working Man, By Tor, Circumstances, Entre Nous, Digital Man, Witch Hunt, Vital Signs, Cygnus X-1 (no vocal but it did rock) the R-30 Medley was fantastic, Passage to Bangkok 2112 complete in 96/97 NAtty Science for 3 tours, Xanadu, La Villa, Between the Wheels, Prelude Hemispheres.

Rush has done a great job in bringing back some classic stuff. This go around we just need Jacobs Ladder and I think 90% of the complaining would cease.

It's the only tune that really needs to be played again to really satisfy the hunger for old epic Rush. They have covered a ton of stuff the last 5 tours...really go back to the CP tour till the Snakes tour (both legs) they have really brought out a bunch of classic epics and deep cuts.

This tour is no exception

Camera Eye

Presto

Marathon

Time Stand Still

Faithless

There are the deep cuts this tour. Toss in La Villa the new songs and other classics and we have a damm good set of music.

There are so many fans who dig those deep cuts I mentioned for this set.

I am pissed no question about Jacobs Ladder if indeed it is left out again...but other than that and Stick it Out (blech) this set is super strong.

Forget the pipe dream of COS stuff....it will never happen. And quite frankly they have so much better material than that album. other than the Necromancer and Bastille day that album is not a good one for them compared with the rest of the catalog.....old time fans are still clinging to the first 3 albums....but Rush let go of them after Permanent Waves.

I guess I am a Moving Pictures generation fan so everything from a AFTK-HYF is my golden period.

I agree about the title track from AFTK....that would rock. Something for Nothing will kill but they would have to tune down no question. Would I and everyone else love Hemispheres? Of course...but Beyond the Lighted Stage summed up their thoughts on that piece.

This is a very good setlist...ad a couple of more gems and most would be thrilled.

Was the 2007 Setlist better? No question it was. But i need to see and hear this before I give my final thoughts...so that will come in October.

Let the tour begin!!!

Have they ever really addressed the reasons for being done with the early stuff? I am curious to know. I'm 43 years old and Rush has been my favorite band since I was a kid. I've moved on from a lot of stuff I was listening to at that time, but not Rush. I've never heard anything that has moved me the way Rush did (and still does), all the way up through GUP. I'm not tired of the old stuff, will never be tired of the old stuff, and am curious as to why the band is, especially since they haven't touched it in years. They aren't likely to write better material, and if they get tired of the new stuff, they've got a whole catalog full of stuff just waiting to be played.

I know a lot of people who like Rush. I never hear any of them say stuff like "Man, do you think they'll play a bunch of stuff off Counterparts?", or sit around listening to Hold Your Fire all night. Before I got my tickets to this tour, I asked 10-12 people if they were going. Most couldn't, but even the ones who couldn't asked me if I thought they'd play anything from AFTK, COS, Hemispheres, etc. Then they'll ask, "Hey, is the new stuff any good?" Most of them haven't even heard the new stuff, but they sure as hell know the old stuff. People crave the old stuff and I think the band might be surprised at how it would be received.

Really, how many of you listen to FM radio or sit around watching music videos? If I'm listening to music on the radio, it's XM or bust for me. People don't hear new music the way they used to. I don't know how many casual fans Rush really has, anyway. Everyone I know either loves them or hates them. Let me qualify that also, be saying that everyone I know that likes Rush pretty much falls into the category of white males between the age of 25-50. That's a pretty solid group to have as your clientele from a business perspective. You don't just have a bunch of kids out spending daddy's money at a Rush show. Daddy's there himself, spending his own money. If they started playing deeper stuff, a lot of older fans who haven't bothered to come see them in years would come crawling out of the woodwork.

I know what you and everyone is saying about the old stuff but really, I listen to Rush all the time and that's the stuff I listen to the least. It's cool to bring it out for a listen now and then but I much prefer the newer stuff. I would have liked to see a Something for Nothing or Bastille Day but whatever, the newer stuff is better musically.

QUOTE (glennb2112 @ Jun 29 2010, 11:32 AM)
i cant say im thrilled with the setlist(if in fact its close to the "real" one). i would love to have a "b"-side tour like alex stated in a documentary or article a few years ago. so i ask this. would you prefer a stripped down set, less people and all the obscure stuff or a stadium tour with all the bells and whistles? it is all about the music so i would love a B-side tour!! gimme a B-side tour!!!! trink39.gif

I'd love a stripped down tour with no stage props, minimal light show, small venue. Just the boys standing there playing...

Have they ever really addressed the reasons for being done with the early stuff? I am curious to know. I'm 43 years old and Rush has been my favorite band since I was a kid. I've moved on from a lot of stuff I was listening to at that time, but not Rush. I've never heard anything that has moved me the way Rush did (and still does), all the way up through GUP. I'm not tired of the old stuff, will never be tired of the old stuff, and am curious as to why the band is, especially since they haven't touched it in years. They aren't likely to write better material, and if they get tired of the new stuff, they've got a whole catalog full of stuff just waiting to be played.

I know a lot of people who like Rush. I never hear any of them say stuff like "Man, do you think they'll play a bunch of stuff off Counterparts?", or sit around listening to Hold Your Fire all night. Before I got my tickets to this tour, I asked 10-12 people if they were going. Most couldn't, but even the ones who couldn't asked me if I thought they'd play anything from AFTK, COS, Hemispheres, etc. Then they'll ask, "Hey, is the new stuff any good?" Most of them haven't even heard the new stuff, but they sure as hell know the old stuff. People crave the old stuff and I think the band might be surprised at how it would be received.

Really, how many of you listen to FM radio or sit around watching music videos? If I'm listening to music on the radio, it's XM or bust for me. People don't hear new music the way they used to. I don't know how many casual fans Rush really has, anyway. Everyone I know either loves them or hates them. Let me qualify that also, be saying that everyone I know that likes Rush pretty much falls into the category of white males between the age of 25-50. That's a pretty solid group to have as your clientele from a business perspective. You don't just have a bunch of kids out spending daddy's money at a Rush show. Daddy's there himself, spending his own money. If they started playing deeper stuff, a lot of older fans who haven't bothered to come see them in years would come crawling out of the woodwork.

This is a really selfish perspective. Are you really surprised that any artist would be more enthusiastic about work they did 30 years ago vs. their more current work?

And yes, they've addressed this many times. Neil said once that listening to their old albums is the equivalent to looking at drawings he did in kindergarten. Not much room for interpretation there.....

Peace,

Ron

This is a really selfish perspective. Are you really surprised that any artist would be more enthusiastic about work they did 30 years ago vs. their more current work?

And yes, they've addressed this many times. Neil said once that listening to their old albums is the equivalent to looking at drawings he did in kindergarten. Not much room for interpretation there.....

Peace,

Ron

It's not selfish, he is stating how HE feels. I'm 3 years older (50)and I feel the exact same way. Saw them first in 1975 with Kiss. If I am listening to Rush I USUALLY go for something from Hemispheres back. if my wife wants to hear Rush it is usually PW, MP, or Signals. I would call my wife the TYPICAL Rush fan in that she knows them when she heres them, can name a few of their tunes, and owns (well I do) a couple CD's. We here on the Rush forum are the minority of their fans, I do not believe we are the target audience. In my neck of the woods, Dallas TX, if I hear a Rush tune on the radio it is, Spirit of Radio, Limelight, Freewill, Tom sawyer, Working Man. If we are hearing a "deep Cut" we get Closer to the Heart or Subdivisions. Who is the rumored setlist aimed at? Not us freak diehards, NOT the casual fan? Before I saw the setlist I was playing her some of the stuff I wanted to hear, LVS, TSS are the only 2 that made it.

All that being said, I can't wait to see them, they could do all covers of George Michaels and I'd be there. My rambling is now over , I feel better tongue.gif

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Jun 29 2010, 12:02 PM)

Peace,
Ron

Yeah, we get they like the new stuff more, but I think many Rush fans dont. There are more Rush fans out there that like the old stuff than the new stuff, a lot more of them, so why wouldnt rush make any effort to satisfy all of them with just a couple good oldies? Thats all it takes.

If they started playing deeper stuff, a lot of older fans who haven't bothered to come see them in years would come crawling out of the woodwork.

Right, because the people who couldn't be bothered to support the band in the 30 years since Moving Pictures... those are really the people you want to cater to.

Do you have any idea what you just said?

Exactly, I understand they may be tired of them, Geddy may not hit the notes the way he once did. WHO CARES. Play Making Memories and watch a 50 year old man explode.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 29 2010, 12:39 PM)
If they started playing deeper stuff, a lot of older fans who haven't bothered to come see them in years would come crawling out of the woodwork.

Right, because the people who couldn't be bothered to support the band in the 30 years since Moving Pictures... those are really the people you want to cater to.

Its not about catering to them, its more about keeping them around by playing a couple oldies here and there, stuff pre PeW, and imnot talking about playing 2112 for the 4000th time.

Stuff off of FBN, CoS, 2nd side of 2112, AFTK, Hemispheres, I get much more excited to hear that stuff than anything after PeW. Im sick of moving pictures, they play almost the entire album on every tour anyway.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 29 2010, 12:46 PM)

Its not about catering to them, its more about keeping them around by playing a couple oldies here and there, stuff pre PeW, and imnot talking about playing 2112 for the 4000th time.

Stuff off of FBN, CoS, 2nd side of 2112, AFTK, Hemispheres, I get much more excited to hear that stuff than anything after PeW. Im sick of moving pictures, they play almost the entire album on every tour anyway.

whats wrong with you? Wanting to hear the stuff you like, Jerk wink.gif

QUOTE (Bx3 @ Jun 29 2010, 12:51 PM)

whats wrong with you? Wanting to hear the stuff you like, Jerk wink.gif

Hehe.

We're not asking for much. Just a little more love to some of the old stuff, thats all. I get that Rush is probably not into that music anymore, but guess what, a hell of a lot of their fans are.

Remember the Rush Petition, where fans vote for songs they want to hear live?

http://www.rushpetition.com/results.shtml

It looks like Rush will be playing three of the top ten picks:

The Camera Eye 1934 37.8%

Jacob's Ladder 1505 29.4%

Hemispheres 1154 22.6%

A Farewell To Kings 864 16.9%

Fly By Night 754 14.8%

Middletown Dreams 740 14.5%

Marathon 699 13.7%

Kid Gloves 628 12.3%

The Weapon 552 10.8%

Presto 541 10.6%

Sure, it would be nice to have a couple more of these instead of SIO and LTTA.

But still, we're getting three of the top ten, including the #1 pick.

But some fans are ready to sell their tickets because we're not getting #1 AND #2? facepalm.gif

Edited by PariahDog

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 29 2010, 01:07 PM)
Remember the Rush Petition, where fans vote for songs they want to hear live?

http://www.rushpetition.com/results.shtml

It looks like Rush will be playing three of the top ten picks:

The Camera Eye 1934 37.8%
Jacob's Ladder 1505 29.4%
Hemispheres 1154 22.6%
A Farewell To Kings 864 16.9%
Fly By Night 754 14.8%
Middletown Dreams 740 14.5%
Marathon 699 13.7%
Kid Gloves 628 12.3%
The Weapon 552 10.8%
Presto 541 10.6%

Sure, it would be nice to have a couple more of these instead of SIO and LTTA.

But still, we're getting three of the top ten, including the #1 pick.

But some fans are ready to sell their tickets because we're not getting #1 AND #2? facepalm.gif

That is because Al said they were. If they do it, will be fanfuckingtastic. If not, 24 more threads on how much they suck . Only a few hrs now

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 29 2010, 01:10 PM)
That is because Al said they were. If they do it, will be fanfuckingtastic. If not, 24 more threads on how much they suck . Only a few hrs now

Maybe the lesson is, Rush should never talk about the setlist. tongue.gif I remember there was a similar meltdown when they talked about revamping the second leg of the S&A tour, but only swapped out two songs. ph34r.gif

But, seriously, I've never bought a concert ticket with the expectation or requirement of hearing a single song. confused13.gif Is this really just about JL, or were folks honestly expecting to hear Necromancer, Lamneth, AFTK, etc.?

Edited by PariahDog

More than half the show is tracks from Moving Pictures or earlier. There's a few old tracks from the 80's - upwards of 20-25 years ago. Only five tracks of the 26 listed were recorded for Counterparts or later.

So I say again... this is a Time Machine tour if there ever was one. No previous tour has had so much old material on it - well, since the old material was new, anyway biggrin.gif Check the setlists going back to RTB or Counterparts.

Even R30, which was supposed to be the big anniversary tour, only dedicated a third of the show to tracks from Moving Pictures or earlier (I'm not counting the R30 Overture).

If you're disappointed that this isn't a repeat of a tour you saw back in '81, well, those days are over. Have been for nearly 30 years.

I said that strictly from a business perspective. (And yes, I'm just talking about throwing in a couple of songs---not specifically catering to anyone.)

Personal example:

I am a photographer. I shoot weddings, portraits, commercial and editorial stuff. If I have a regular client that likes the way I shoot and keeps coming back, that is good for business. The trick is to keep people who like the way I shoot but also evolve enough so that I pick up new clients. As I evolve/change, some of the older clients may slip away if they don't like the new stuff I'm doing. Take Photoshop actions for instance. That may not mean anything to you, but a lot of stuff that is hot right now uses Photoshop in ways we didn't used to, to produce photos where the colors are really vivid and blown out, sometimes to the point of seeming almost ethereal. Some of my older clients that liked the way I shot plain old black & white don't like this stuff. So do I just let them walk, or do I step back and give them a little of what they want, yet still trying to find ways to also do what I want?

I don't follow WWE wrestling, but I am familiar with some of it, and I once saw an interview with Vince McMahon that really stuck with me. he said "Our fans will tell us what they want, and by God, we are going to listen!" This is still show business, right?

I do find it amusing that Neil thinks listening to the old stuff is like looking at drawings he did in kindergarten. WTF?

Edited by amish_ashaman