Rehearsal Setlist according to RIAB

Sfam2112

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 29 2010, 01:07 PM)
Remember the Rush Petition, where fans vote for songs they want to hear live?

http://www.rushpetition.com/results.shtml

It looks like Rush will be playing three of the top ten picks:

The Camera Eye 1934 37.8%
Jacob's Ladder 1505 29.4%
Hemispheres 1154 22.6%
A Farewell To Kings 864 16.9%
Fly By Night 754 14.8%
Middletown Dreams 740 14.5%
Marathon 699 13.7%
Kid Gloves 628 12.3%
The Weapon 552 10.8%
Presto 541 10.6%

Sure, it would be nice to have a couple more of these instead of SIO and LTTA.

But still, we're getting three of the top ten, including the #1 pick.

But some fans are ready to sell their tickets because we're not getting #1 AND #2? facepalm.gif

I go see a band because I like the songs they play. If play play stuff ive seen on the last 5 tours, with a few new additions, why would I spend my money?

I dont have some devotion to Rush like others where they are happy to see them play anything. They are just a band to me, one of the many that I like. If they dont play enough songs I want to see, then I wont go. Nothing wrong with that.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 29 2010, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 29 2010, 01:10 PM)
That is because Al said they were. If they do it, will be fanfuckingtastic. If not, 24 more threads on how much they suck . Only a few hrs now

Maybe the lesson is, Rush should never talk about the setlist. tongue.gif I remember there was a similar meltdown when they talked about revamping the second leg of the S&A tour, but only swapped out two songs. ph34r.gif

But, seriously, I've never bought a concert ticket with the expectation or requirement of hearing a single song. confused13.gif Is this really just about JL, or were folks honestly expecting to hear Necromancer, Lamneth, AFTK, etc.?

Good point. For me it is JL but more of why Subdivisions and not another song from that album ? I do think the song order if it stays, is weak . I also can't see them skipping over so many albums . I still have a little hope this set gets changed a tiny bit

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 29 2010, 01:07 PM)
Remember the Rush Petition, where fans vote for songs they want to hear live?

http://www.rushpetition.com/results.shtml

It looks like Rush will be playing three of the top ten picks:

The Camera Eye 1934 37.8%
Jacob's Ladder 1505 29.4%
Hemispheres 1154 22.6%
A Farewell To Kings 864 16.9%
Fly By Night 754 14.8%
Middletown Dreams 740 14.5%
Marathon 699 13.7%
Kid Gloves 628 12.3%
The Weapon 552 10.8%
Presto 541 10.6%

Sure, it would be nice to have a couple more of these instead of SIO and LTTA. 

But still, we're getting three of the top ten, including the #1 pick. 

But some fans are ready to sell their tickets because we're not getting #1 AND #2? facepalm.gif

EDIT: Just noticed that Faithless is also on the list (#27), surprisingly ahead of many that have been mentioned in this thread:

Faithless 354 6.9%

Cinderella Man 338 6.6% ohmy.gif

Chemistry 309 6.0%

Grand Designs 308 6.0% ohmy.gif

The Fountain of Lamneth 289 5.7% ohmy.gif

Freeze 284 5.6%

Everyday Glory 273 5.3%

The Body Electric 269 5.3% ohmy.gif

Different Strings 263 5.1%

Lock And Key 242 4.7%

Turn The Page 240 4.7%

Alien Shore 202 4.0%

In The Mood 200 3.9% ohmy.gif

Scars 192 3.8%

Maybe Rush knows what they're doing after all? wink.gif

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 29 2010, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 29 2010, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 29 2010, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 29 2010, 11:26 AM)
If they started playing deeper stuff, a lot of older fans who haven't bothered to come see them in years would come crawling out of the woodwork.

Right, because the people who couldn't be bothered to support the band in the 30 years since Moving Pictures... those are really the people you want to cater to.

Do you have any idea what you just said?

Its not about catering to them, its more about keeping them around by playing a couple oldies here and there, stuff pre PeW, and imnot talking about playing 2112 for the 4000th time.

Stuff off of FBN, CoS, 2nd side of 2112, AFTK, Hemispheres, I get much more excited to hear that stuff than anything after PeW. Im sick of moving pictures, they play almost the entire album on every tour anyway.

I said that strictly from a business perspective.

Personal example:

I am a photographer. I shoot weddings, portraits, commercial and editorial stuff. If I have a regular client that likes the way I shoot and keeps coming back, that is good for business. The trick is to keep people who like the way I shoot but also evolve enough so that I pick up new clients. As I evolve/change, some of the older clients may slip away if they don't like the new stuff I'm doing. Take Photoshop actions for instance. That may not mean anything to you, but a lot of stuff that is hot right now uses Photoshop in ways we didn't used to, to produce photos where the colors are really vivid and blown out, sometimes to the point of seeming almost ethereal. Some of my older clients that liked the way I shot plain old black & white don't like this stuff. So do I just let them walk, or do I step back and give them a little of what they want, yet still trying to find ways to also do what I want.

I don't follow WWE wrestling, but I am familiar with some of it, and I once saw an interview with Vince McMahon that really stuck with me. he said "Our fans will tell us what they want, and by God, we are going to listen!"

I do find it amusing that Neil thinks listening to the old stuff is like looking at drawings he did in kindergarten. WTF?

I kind of understand what Neil is saying. I used to play a lot of talent shows when I was young, and I cant watch the videos of them now. Its so painfully embarrassing, but the difference is I dont have a million people that love those talent show videos.

There are more people in this world that love Rush from the first album-MP, than people who like the stuff after that more.

Well they are giving us MP, which the play most of on every tour anyway, and really not much of the real old stuff at all, which is what I like more as a Rush fan, FBN-MP is Rush to me, anything after that is just a bonus that Ill never view as being nearly as good.

Well aside from playing 2112 and their hits off of PeW/MP, everything else is ignored just because they are bored of it, even though a massive part of their fanbase likes old rush more than new rush. I dont get it.

Amount of Pre-1990 songs played per last few tours. It's actually pretty consistent.

VAPOR TRAILS TOUR (17)

Tom Sawyer

Distant Early Warning

New World Man

YYZ

The Pass

The Big Money

The Trees

Vital Signs/Freewill

Natural Science

Red Sector A

2112: Overture/The Temples Of Syrinx

Limelight

La Villa Strangiato

The Spirit Of Radio

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Cygnus X-1: Book I: The Voyage

Working Man

R30 TOUR (16)

The Spirit Of Radio

Force Ten

Subdivisions

Red Barchetta

YYZ

The Trees

Tom Sawyer

Between The Wheels

Mystic Rhythms

Red Sector A

2112 Overture/The Temples Of Syrinx/Grand Finale

La Villa Strangiato

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Xanadu

Working Man

Limelight

S&A TOUR (16-17)

Limelight

Digital Man

Entre Nous

Mission

Freewill

Red Barchetta

Circumstances/The Trees

Between The Wheels

Subdivisions

Natural Science

Witch Hunt

Distant Early Warnings

The Spirit of Radio

Tom Sawyer

A Passage to Bangkok

YYZ

ALLEGED TIME MACHINE TOUR (17)

The Spirit of Radio

Time Stand Still

Presto

Freewill

Marathon

Subdivisions

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

Closer to the Heart

2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx

La villa Strangiato

Working Man

Edited by savagegrace26

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 29 2010, 01:33 PM)
Well they are giving us MP, which the play most of on every tour anyway, and really not much of the real old stuff at all, which is what I like more as a Rush fan...

I've heard this said a lot in relation to the setlist, even before we knew of it, when all we knew was that they'd be playing MP in its entirety. So, it got me thinking. Have they really played almost the whole thing on every tour? I went to the Wikipedia pages for tours going back to Roll the Bones:

RTB

Limelight

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

Vital Signs (replacement track)

CP

Limelight

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

TFE

Red Barchetta

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

VT

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

Vital Signs (swapped with Freewill for some dates)

Limelight

R30

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Tom Sawyer

Limelight

S&A (2007)

Limelight

Witch Hunt

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

S&A (2008)

Limelight

Red Barchetta

Witch Hunt

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

So, at best, they played 5/8ths of MP two years ago. On average, they play 3/8ths or 1/2 of it.

Not taking a shot at you, it just got me curious. So there's that.

All of Moving Pictures is HUGE. You got Vital Signs and Camera Eye for heaven's sakes. Leave That Thing Alone. Their best instrumental from the nineties. Very good live.

From the 70s, we get Closer To The Heart (will be nice to hear live again and to sing along to)... La Villa Strangiato, 2112, and Working Man (all 3 of which are crushingly good live)

Deep cuts like Faithless and Presto. The latter of which will be very interesting to hear live.

Those who dig the synth-era (like myself) should be delighted to get Time Stand Still and Marathon. MARATHON! An ass-kicker of a tune with a sick guitar solo and a sweet galloping bassline.

ALWAYS nice to hear Red Barchetta and Subdivisions. You can't argue... those are a couple of their best songs ever. Then you have timeless classics like Tom Sawyer, Limelight, The Spirit Of Radio, YYZ, Freewill... weird how some fans here have become desensitized to the genius and greatness of these tunes.

All this with the usual great stage production we've come to expect. 2.gif

I see yet another awesome tour, another awesome show that I get to witness. Another show from one of the greatest bands in rock history. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I like the setlist, and even if i didnt like the setlist i would still go because it's still Rush. the only song i'm not as thrilled to hear is Stick It Out, but by golly, i will still sing along and air drum, air guitar, etc to my favorite band.

Does anyone here besides me think 3 instrumentals is 1 too many confused13.gif

2 would have been just fine imo

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 29 2010, 11:56 AM)

I'm still hoping for Malnar laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 29 2010, 01:56 PM)

Makes sense to me. Rush craft very good instrumentals. From a musicianship standpoint, they're all damn good. Playing 3 this time around makes sense cuz Geddy's voice needs its rest.

I would rather not have another Alex solo (unless its a face-melting La Villa intro) but I understand its necessity for Neil's sake. That old bastard needs to rest his arms. smile.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 29 2010, 01:50 PM)
Well they are giving us MP, which the play most of on every tour anyway, and really not much of the real old stuff at all, which is what I like more as a Rush fan...

I've heard this said a lot in relation to the setlist, even before we knew of it, when all we knew was that they'd be playing MP in its entirety. So, it got me thinking. Have they really played almost the whole thing on every tour? I went to the Wikipedia pages for tours going back to Roll the Bones:

RTB

Limelight

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

CP

Limelight

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

TFE

Red Barchetta

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

VT

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

Limelight

R30

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Tom Sawyer

Limelight

S&A (2007)

Limelight

Witch Hunt

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

S&A (2008)

Limelight

Red Barchetta

Witch Hunt

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

So, at best, they played 5/8ths of MP two years ago. On average, they play 3/8ths or 1/2 of it.

There are 7 songs, not 8 on MP.

Edited by amish_ashaman

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Jun 29 2010, 01:48 PM)
Amount of Pre-1990 songs played per last few tours. It's actually pretty consistent.

VAPOR TRAILS TOUR (17)
Tom Sawyer
Distant Early Warning
New World Man
YYZ
The Pass
The Big Money
The Trees
Vital Signs/Freewill
Natural Science
Red Sector A
2112: Overture/The Temples Of Syrinx
Limelight
La Villa Strangiato
The Spirit Of Radio
By-Tor And The Snow Dog
Cygnus X-1: Book I: The Voyage
Working Man

R30 TOUR (16)
The Spirit Of Radio
Force Ten
Subdivisions
Red Barchetta
YYZ
The Trees
Tom Sawyer
Between The Wheels
Mystic Rhythms
Red Sector A
2112 Overture/The Temples Of Syrinx/Grand Finale
La Villa Strangiato
By-Tor & The Snow Dog
Xanadu
Working Man
Limelight

S&A TOUR (16-17)
Limelight
Digital Man
Entre Nous
Mission
Freewill
Red Barchetta
Circumstances/The Trees
Between The Wheels
Subdivisions
Natural Science
Witch Hunt
Distant Early Warnings
The Spirit of Radio
Tom Sawyer
A Passage to Bangkok
YYZ

ALLEGED TIME MACHINE TOUR (17)
The Spirit of Radio
Time Stand Still
Presto
Freewill
Marathon
Subdivisions
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight
The Camera Eye
Witch Hunt
Vital Signs
Closer to the Heart
2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx
La villa Strangiato
Working Man

People keep talking about the stuff on MP as being oldies that we are getting in addition to the other stuff. I keep looking at this like they are touring for MP, so in my mind, I don't necessarily include it in the conversations about old stuff we're going to hear on this tour, because, yeah, obviously we're going to hear stuff from the album they are touring for. I look at it like the rest of the set ought to be more evenly dispersed. If you go back through all of those older setlists and don't include the songs from "the album they are touring for", the others still have 16-17 pre-1990 songs, where this set only has 10.

Not saying that's a right or wrong way to look at it...just an observation on the way my mind subconsciously processes this stuff.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 29 2010, 10:56 AM)
Does anyone here besides me think 3 instrumentals is 1 too many  confused13.gif
2 would have been just fine    imo

I said this a while ago. Definitely my biggest gripe with the set list. 3 instrumentals plus 2 solos. and four if they include Mal Nar. As much as I enjoy Leave That Thing Alone they really can't find a better song to put in its place?

Edited by theworkingman

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 29 2010, 02:05 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 29 2010, 01:50 PM)

RTB

Limelight

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

CP

Limelight

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

TFE

Red Barchetta

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

VT

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

Limelight

R30

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Tom Sawyer

Limelight

S&A (2007)

Limelight

Witch Hunt

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

S&A (2008)

Limelight

Red Barchetta

Witch Hunt

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

There are 7 songs, not 8 on MP.

Absolutely right. Thanks for catching my mistake. I could say it was a typo, but honestly, I'd simply been mixed up.

The real problem with the setlist is why the hell are they playing Presto so early in the set? With it's magical dreamy feel and all of the references to the night (constellations, midnight, tonight, etc) it should be played under a canopy of stars. There could be a nice glowing starry magical light show (with some silver and blue) to go with it.

Really, this is the one song I've always wanted them to play live, and they are just brushing it off so early. dam.

Edited by savagegrace26